• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ok time to upgrade the turbo

The base info: 1999 ram 2500 stock turbo 5.9 Cummins. 75 hp injectors, new vp 44, fass pump  Quadzilla adrenalin

I took off the intake box I found oil around the cold air vane inside the turbo

so the questions are  should i buy a replacement stock turbo.

or should I get an up graded replacement a little bigger turbo

what size would work in this configuration 

I have the same stuff, but put a Borg Warner K 27 turbo. I have a few other upgrades high ram intake horn, ATI Intercooler, ARP headstuds ,S&B cold air intake. Had to have the transmission rebuilt with a 3 disk converter and all the heavy duty upgrades. Truck makes 480 hp at the rear tires. Go look at some of Power Driven Diesel videos on U-tube. Hope this helps....

Do you have a stock clutch? Either way I think you'll need one if you don't already, along with turbo, you got a pretty hefty price tag. :spend:

Little bigger and better never hurt right? Youll be fine with a little bigger one, not sure on size for ya though, someone else will prolly chime in. 

k27 or s300g would probably be best if you are gonna stay at this power level.

s362/65/12 would be the next step up if you were going bigger for injectors.

HX35/40 hybrid would be a good option if you have an exhaust brake on the factory HX35

he351cw is a very fast spooling turbo from the 05-07 (I think) common rail Cummins trucks. Its not a bolt on though. Needs parts fabbed to install.

he351 is also an option, @LorenS could expand on that a bit more. (different exhaust housing)

@Stanley is also right, look into a bigger clutch if you haven't already.

A rebuild kit for an HX35 is not that expensive, around $100, but getting the turbo open is the hard part.

Where did you find the oil? On the blades or did you take the cover(s) off already? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

@LorenS could expand on that a bit more

BlueOx01 was the first on this forum, I believe, to go down this road.  Then @dripleyand I each purchased one of these turbos:
https://www.benzforce.com/products/new-genuine-holset-he351w-4043980-4043982-he351?_pos=2&_sid=70ca892e5&_ss=r

I've been running it over a year with the wastegate just wired shut because I have yet to do the modifications that BlueOx01 did to the actuator arm... :whistle2:

I'll try to search the site for the thread(s) where this was addressed and post the link.

EDIT: here's the link to the actuator are modification 

The turbo comes with a band-style downpipe attachment, but if your truck has the "snout" style like mine does, it's a simple operation to swap it over as it's the same 5-bolt attachment.

This turbo DOES need to be clocked a little different.  This gave me fits when trying to do it myself, but with a buddy (or if you buy the correct - and GIANT - snap ring pliers) it's pretty easy.

KIMG0223.JPG

Edited by LorenS
Add link

• 2 weeks later...

Still looking for a replacement Turbo

Additional info, I also have a hi ram intake and the injectors are 75 hp over stock, it is an automatic transmission, excuse the omission

here is the pic of the leak area, the oil was on the blades and housing on the inlet from the air filter

the turbo is a HX35W  holset what difference is in the HX35 and the HE351W 

are there any USA made Turbos??

Improvements on that?? 

or is the hx35 the best fit?

anyone have a suggested outlet or online store for turbo parts?

Silverwolf2691 mentioned the s362/65/12 is this a bigger turbo than the HX35

any chance you know of a source for one of these 

Again there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and thanks to all who take the time to share and guide 

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

t5.jpg

I would get a Borg Warner K27. You can call Power Driven Diesel and they will help you out. I paid less than $1000.00. As I said earlier I have the same stuff as you,  but I put the bigger K27 turbo on, it bolts right on. It works great. With a ECO tune on the Adrenaline and driving 75-80 mph, I got 19 MPG (thanks Mike mopar1973man). With a hot street tune it runs 13's @ 105 mph and has 47 psi of boost. Hope this helps,  have fun....

20220326_151422_1.jpg

20220326_151456.jpg

Edited by tucothelegend

Are you running an oiled filter like a k&n? Generally, oil on this side if the wheel is from an oiled filter. Bad oil seals you wouldnt see unless you pulled off the intercooler pipe. 

HE351CW is a 60/60/9

HE351 is a 60/60/12

HX35W is a 56?/60/12

He351/He351cw are a more efficient turbo and will do a hot 450-500hp but require a decent amount of fab to swap. 

Not sure of full USA made turbos, but precision turbo i think is one of them, at least partly... big money though.

Diesel Auto Power is a vendor on the site and where i got my turbo.

If you put an (@) symbol before my username it will tag me specifically. Just sharing info.

There are things you can do to both turbos to make them larger as well. It depends on what you are using the truck for. 

• Thanks 1

• Owner
18 hours ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

HX35W is a 56?/60/12

HX35W is a 54/60/12 at least what my stock turbo measured... 

Just consider I'm running HX35W turbo (54/60/12) right now with my +150 HP injectors (7 x 0.010). But I've got the lowest EGT's and highest MPG (28.04 MPG) in this group. This is due to the tune I'm running and not the turbo at all being my cruising boost is typically very low like 2-3 PSI at most. Remember I'm running 245's tires which give me 3.69:1 final ratio making it much easier to cruise along with little power needed. Hence the low EGT's. Also pay attention to the elevation which I'm running flat ground no rise or fall. Then If I do step up to 65 MPH (2,000 RPM) it typically rides right at 550*F EGT's. My cruising engine load is roughly 17% at 55 MPH(1,800 RPM).

Edited by Mopar1973Man