• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Towing, Turbos, and Quads

Alright so after getting all my boost leaks fixed, I was finally able to install the ARP studs, and remove the Smarty tune. I’ll be installing the Adrenaline this week, as well as a set of Infinite Performance 7x.010’s. The goal was to have a reliable tow rig at around 325-350 HP, but a forum member lives down the road from me and is offering a really good deal on a 62/68/12 SXE. So I’m considering doing that and making my hp goal 400hp. Will this tuner/injector/turbo combo give a good reliable towing experience? Is that turbo gonna be slightly too big? Should I wait and get a 57/65/12? Don’t want a lot of smoke, don’t want 600hp…just a solid reliable 350-400hp for dd and towing. 

• Owner
10 hours ago, Andyba20 said:

The goal was to have a reliable tow rig at around 325-350 HP

Ummm... With everything your planning on buying you going to be closer to 500 HP to the ground. I'm running 7 x 0.010 DAP injectors with a small tweak of popped at 320 bar instead of 310 bar. Quadzilla with my Economy tune is giving me a good 500 HP to the rear wheels with a Hx35/40 turbo. I just lost my hybrid turbo (bearings wore out). Now I'm back on stock HX35W turbo and still running good super low EGT's. Super high MPG topping out at 28.04 MPG. Zero smoke... Look at the odometer vs the fuel gauge...

20210910_175902.jpg

10 hours ago, Andyba20 said:

just a solid reliable 350-400hp for dd and towing

Leave it stock turbo and stock injectors. Then just add the Quadzilla. That will put you at your goal 350 to 400 HP being the Quadzilla is capable of 180 HP by itself. 

What I've got in the Beast (2002 Dodge)

• Quadzilla Adrenaline
  • Stock HX35W turbo (54/60/12)
  • (7 x 0.010) +150 HP DAP injectors popped at 320 bar
  • AirDog 165 GPH

Note: the injectors are popped higher for two reasons to aid in good fine mist spray that vaporizes better. The second reason is long life of the injectors being there popped higher this gives more time before the pop pressure falls below 293 bar (4,250 PSI) which is the minimum. 327 bar (4,750 PSI) is the max. 

Get a feel for flat ground cruising at 55 MPH... This is due to proper ratio. I'm running 3.55:1 axles with 245/75 R16 tires which changes the final to the ground to 3.69:1 making very easy to get the power to the ground. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

you will have a very solid 350-400hp towing setup if you use the quad to tune your canbus lvl 3 tuning and don't use wiretap levels.  Thats a good way to go about it, the sxe is a good turbo.  If I was buying new I would go with the 57 gxe rather than the 62 sxe, but a good deal on the 62 should be fine.    if you want to have fun you can always turn on wiretap and have 500 hp.  

however your trans won't hold 500 hp.   

• Like 2

The Quad on a stock setup truck will give you what you're looking for and alot of tune ability. But putting on the of stuff will give you alot more power. Then you'll have to do the clutch or A/T trany to be reliable. The thing to remember is you don't have to run the Quad on full power. You can set it up to have many different levels. I think most of us run on a lower level than full all the time. By the way guys, what in your opinion is the best level to run on for fuel mileage? I have (@ Mopar1973Man ECO tune that I have modified) run DDP 75 HP Injectors with a K27 turbo, on level 2 @ 75 mph (2100 rpm) I get 19 mpg, that is up from 15.2 MPG I use to get. Would I increase the MPG if I used a different level? You can also make many different tunes with many different levels. I have a hot street tune on full kill truck runs low 13's @ 109 in 4 wheel drive on the street tires. I also have a converter lock switch, ARP headstuds, built A/T transmission, a must to go drag racing. So to some it up their are many things you can do with the Quadzilla adrenaline..... 

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Leave it stock turbo and stock injectors.

My stock injectors are getting tired at almost 300K, that’s why I got the new ones, and only did the 7x.010’s bc most of you guys in the know recommended them paired with the quad. The turbo isn’t really necessary, I just kinda fell into a really great deal, but if it’s not the right turbo for my setup/goals then it’s not worth throwing money at I suppose. 

It's not the wrong turbo, it will work really good but the 57 gxe is a better turbo for a 350-400 hp tow monster.   

7 x .010's are the right choice,  I'd throw the 62 on it too just because of the good deal.   IT will tow great.

• Owner

For most of my daily driving I run level 2 being its got more than enough power to handle most passing and highway travel without being under-powered. If you wanted just a touch more take level 3. 

I'll admit today I cranked up the Quadzilla to level 7 and stood on the throttle and was frying the tires off the back. Just finally got to doing the o-ring on the injector bodies to fix the hard morning starts. (losing prime). As for frying the tires... There is a reason I went smaller there is less torque trapped in the driveline with smaller tires and can overwhelm the tires and let it loose. Bigger tires will grip hard and driveline and transmission damage can happen. 

Like I said the combo of the 150 HP injectors and the Quadzilla is a lot of power when using wire tap. Remember I broke my transmission 3 times now. First was on 75 HP injectors (Vulcan Performance) and Edge Comp broke the mainshaft. Then broke 5th gear at 80 MPH on the interstate coming back from Boise. Then my last one I broke the input shaft and countershaft just cruising 65 MPH to Lewiston, ID. This is one of the few reason I run level 2 mostly and I've got my limits set rather low so not to let the Beast loose. 

• 2 months later...

I think I need to see the Mopar1973Man ECO tune tune that's mentioned in this thread. I'm certainly not getting anything near some of these quoted MPGs. I'm nearer 15/16 even without towing. Something's not right. Going to benchmark after my next fuel up. The overhead console trip MPG vs Quad trip data are so vastly different. I have to do some hand calculations. 

• Staff
1 hour ago, Hutch24v said:

I have to do some hand calculations. 

Hand calculation is the only way to get a true MPG reading.  Be sure the speedometer/odometer reading is correct for tire size.  When I changed my tire size from 265 to 245 75- 16 there was a + 3.2% error, at 60MPH the speedo was reading 62.  

• Owner

Good example...

Stock HX35W turbo

DAP +150 HP injectors

Quadzilla with my economy tune

245/75 R16 tires

Only used slightly more than quarter tank to cross the entire state of Washington right to the Idaho border. 299.5 miles. Filled in Seattle at 6.279.

20220611_161830.jpg20220611_161834.jpgScreenshot_20220612-203528_Maps.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

So plan a longer trip next time over here..  I need the wiring mod and I got to get a transmission over to Newman Lake transmission guy Jon.  More than happy to pay for fuel time Etc.  Not to mention maybe honeybear can figure out my vitamin D level in order to start it again.

• Owner
On 6/13/2022 at 6:58 PM, 015point9 said:

So plan a longer trip next time over here..  I need the wiring mod and I got to get a transmission over to Newman Lake transmission guy Jon.  More than happy to pay for fuel time Etc.  Not to mention maybe honeybear can figure out my vitamin D level in order to start it again.

Let me tag her @Honey Badger 

• 2 months later...

Getting back to this. Had some other issues on the truck that needed to be addressed and now I’m ready to install the new injectors and s362 SXE. I’m having a little bit of buyers remorse, for 2 reasons: 1.) I’d like to stay around the 400hp range since the main use case for the truck is towing. 2.) I’m worried the 62/68/12 might be slightly too big and spool too late for me. With my 3.55’s and 33” tires, I’m wondering if I should have gone with the 57 or he351cw. 

Can the 362 and 7x.010’s (Weston Shupe) be tuned enough with my adrenaline to achieve a close to stock spool, and keep things under 450hp, or am I asking too much?

Edited by Andyba20

• Owner

Just remember I'm using a stock HX35W with 150 HP injectors tuned by Quadzilla and no EGTs problems even with towing my RV to California catching up with @JAG1 and @IBMobile.

Just notice the elevation is fairly flat and EGTs are low. When your properly tuned and the right hardware you shouldn't produce any heat. Biggest problem is incorrect final ratio because of oversized tires on 3.55 gears.