• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

First time towing with new setup.

I guess that's not entirely true, I did tow once last year with the turbo and injectors but that was with the Edge tuner.  I had to drag my camper in for a recall fix last week.  I grabbed a tow tune I found on the forum and it seemed to do pretty good.  Road was mostly flat with a few small hills, had no issues keeping EGT's below 1000*, usually around 800*.  I did pass 1100* once but I was hammering on it pretty good just to see how high it would go.   The temps don't climb near as fast now with the stock tires and Adrenaline tuner.  I gave myself 40 minutes to make what should have been a 30 minute trip and completed it in 18 minutes.  Any tips or directions to go with fine tuning my tow tune?  I have a decent base to start with, just not sure which direction to take it to make it better.  Isn't too much timing bad when the engine is under a load?

There are a few things you can try incrementally to see if the truck likes it or not. 
max load offset 2 or 3

Low psi reduction 4 or 5 I watch the timing when I step on it. I don’t let it drop below 12 degrees. 

Scaling 50%

Your  1500 timing I would move to 15. 
Once you get that dialed in I would try adding fuel on the bottom end until you are happy with the take off/ turbo spool while keeping the smoke under control. 

Retarding the timing will build boost faster because the expanding charge was ignited later, allowing more pressure to be present when exhaust valve opens....is that correct?

If so, is there an increased risk of burning an exhaust valve, or is this a non issue?

When the fuel ignition faze happens later less force is pushing down the piston because the exhaust valve is opening forcing that pressure past the turbine thus the turbo spooling faster.  With my truck it does like a little more timing. My guess is the slip with the converter and my higher pop pressure on my injectors. My first 10 psi of boost on my truck is 100%. Little to no smoke. As far as the exhaust valves burning unless your holding over 1350 EGTS for a long period of time there is nothing to worry about. 

• Like 1

• Owner

Non issue... deeper the retard the quicker the spool up. More advancement more the fuel is burned in the cylinder.

Now too much advancement you'll created negative torque when the expanding burn is push down on the piston as it travelling up yet.

Too much retard the piston is travelling down when the fuel ignites and the little to no knock sound there is loss of power but quick spool.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 3:49 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm going to take my economy tune as a base and go from 4.5 per timing band to 4.0 per timing band. This will allow for a bit more boost under load. The bit of retard will give more expanding gases to the turbo for more boost.

Will this new tune be available for purchase? 

• Owner

Yup. Will be soon. Fuel map has some surging issues which I want to modify on the trip. So far I'm my trip weighing in at rough 17,500 pound total weight and made 13.1 MPG on my first run. I'll be packing up on Monday and heading south.

Matter of fact I've updated the fuel map this morning and got it ready for rolling on south.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1