• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Best pre 1989 vehicle to own

JOHNFAK

HeySince I have the bug with my diesel to do some work and learn about cars (something I didn't before 1 year back) I was thinking about buying an old car to work on. Can I get a list of vehicles you guys consider great 'classics' - especially for working on engines and rebuilding. It will become a project car. Diesel and non-diesel. Only criteria is it has to be built PRIOR to 1989. eg 1988 or lower. This way I can take back to AUS when I eventually go back. Thinking so far of Late 1960's Ford Mustang FastBackLate 1960's Camaro1969 corvette stingray etc Don't know american muscle too much - so whats a good one and why ? Wanna get one that moves with original engine/transmission for under $15k - ideally needs new paint, interior , some engine parts and an overhall of engine (but not rebuild) as I need it to be driveable for 2-3 years :) Other things I am not thinking of ?

easy...'70 chevelle..ss454.turbo400 tranny.cranberryred w/black stripes..cowl induction hood.:thumbup2::woot:

thats a nice looking car (just googled) Why this one ?? Some key factors I would need I think would be * Good Car to 'learn' on ..... nothing too over the top - hoping that pre-electronic they all should be ok * Easy enough to get parts if required - if I need something later * Nice to drive etc * HP adjustable/buildable in case I wanted to try ? * Other ???

Nice cars there :P I wanna pickup an old beater that still runs for under $15k ................. like $10k. Then over next 3-5 years build her up :) New paint, new upholstery, clean and overhaul engine, add some performance parts etc. Something that I can learn on as I go and be a nice car to own when I am done.

If you can find a 67 or 68 fastback mustang, that would be my dream car. Next would be a 70 challenger.:thumbup2:

Probably be able to get a cheap replica or something lol. The thing I hate the most is how new cars don't have the same materials as that shelby or anything from the old days. The seat was more like this snakeskin crap and the floor carpet was extremely durable and weird but insanely awesome. It had 2 gauges on the floor for something, can't remember. The seat belts were behind your head and pulled down over in front of you like some kinda kids carseat, and allll of that was stock. Nowadays you get a car with a hemi in it or something and a glorified 6spd and thats about it. Maybe a hemi logo in the headrest. But I can get the V6 version and do some upgrading and have the same car. The only new car I have ever really wanted was the 2003-4 mach 1 mustang. I have riden in them and the same year cobra that was supercharged and the cobra was fast but it had no real noise to it. It was just a mustang GT with a blower on it. The mach 1 is refined, it has everything to be a bat out of hell and I think it has more than the same year cobra minus the supercharger. I read about people putting a supercharger on them and they could smoke a cobra. The mach 1 also sounds like it has something to prove, it is throaty as hell and has that cam lope sound to it. The cobra has nothing but that supercharger whine that I could beat with a gatorback serpentine belt.

Yeah my uncle bought a 68 or 69 fastback - black and immaculate - I really really like it .......... but some of the other posts here are real nice.Not sure if I will get to do it ($$) ....but we'll see ...... then I can fly ISX back to help me work on it - hahahahah :lmao:

Yeah my uncle bought a 68 or 69 fastback - black and immaculate - I really really like it .......... but some of the other posts here are real nice. Not sure if I will get to do it ($$) ....but we'll see ...... then I can fly ISX back to help me work on it - hahahahah :lmao:

So we can have 2 people staring at it? :lmao:

• 4 weeks later...