• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

RockAuto.com cab size question - extended cab vs quad cab for headliner

I know everyone likely has ordered something from rockauto.com at some point. There customer service is non existent and their site leaves something to be desired, but perhaps that's part of their charm! Anyway my question is on the below. Do you reckon the extended cab refers to a 2nd gen "Quad cab" per their cab size guide picture below? Want to order a new replacement ACME headliner but i'm not certain an "Extended Cab" fit is for an actual Quad cab and there's no way to ask rockauto.com. Anyone hazard a guess? 

image.png.6dde9cf87e41779b5926618fa3256f82.png

• Staff

Have you thought about pulling the head liner out and having an auto upholstery shop relining it or doing it yourself?  I'm going to get the head liner material from an upholstery fabric supplier, pull the head liner, strip the old material off, spray with 3M 38808 Headliner & Fabric Adhesive and fit the new material.  I'll do a write up on it, but it won't be until November.

1 hour ago, IBMobile said:

Have you thought about pulling the head liner out and having an auto upholstery shop relining it or doing it yourself?

Yeah I’ve patched parts of the headliner myself that were worn but honestly it’s one of those things I’d just like to not fiddle with again. It might change though if your write up comes out! 

• 1 month later...

BTW - updating this thread if anyone's interested. I did order the headliner from Rockauto and that was a big expensive mistake. The one I ordered that was seemingly the right one (extended cab) but did not have any cutouts for the rear doors, specifically the latches so I tired to cut them out myself and then screwed it up royally! Should have just left it alone and returned the thing. Now, like IBMobile suggested I've decided to just re-upholster the existing headliner. Currently I'm in the process of removing the 20 year old foam backing and glue from the fiberglass headliner backing which is a ton of fun. You have to use a wire brush and some lacquer thinner helps too. Then and I'll either re-upholster myself or have a local shop do it. BTW, the replacement ACME headliners are heavy ABS plastic material and are incredibly hard to line up and hold in place. Hopefully this will convince someone not go this route in future. See pics below of the missing cutouts. 

Headliner_2.jpeg

Headliner_cutout.jpeg

• Staff

I think what happens is the factory foam turns to a dust like material that quickly falls apart when attempting to do anything with it. Both my 2nd gens have good headliners so far. Knock on wood.

I replaced the headliner in my Jeep Cherokee a while back.  Relatively easy to do.  Pull the fabric, scrape off all the old foam, make sure its clean, test fit the fabric (trim where needed).  Spray adhesive on both the headliner and the fabric, wait a few seconds for the adhesive to start to get tacky.  Get a second set of hands to help you lay the fabric.  The only real issue I had was I pinched a wire for the vanity light in the visor and shorted a fuse.  Couldn't figure out why the radio, lights, and locks wouldn't work.  Took me a little bit to figure out what I did.  Always remove negatives if there's even a chance of shorting something.  Lesson learned. :smart:

I didn't use headliner material, I just used some thick gray material that I found at Joann's.  Worked good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I made the quad/extended cab mistake when I was ordering weather stripping for my truck from LMC.  I mistakenly ordered the extended cap strip that goes all the way around, ended up being about 2-3' short of completing the loop.  I ended up splicing in a good section of the old stuff to make it complete.  I've replaced almost all the cab/window weather stripping this year and it's made a pretty good difference.  My windows no longer rattle or squeak and my doors require a little more authority to shut but they don't rattle anymore either.