• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I believe my fuel return line is leaking.

• Staff

I'm talking about the line on the rear of the cylinder head. I was under there fir something else yesterday and noticed it's wet on the back of the engine and down the bell housing. A small drip was handing on the bottom of the bell housing. It was fuel. Could see the light green color. 

I took my phone and tried to get a pic behind the head (it's tight back there) and it looks wet. Can't tell if it's just the copper washers leaking or if it's the line itself. So far its a small leak, just a drip. 

Could this cause a slight hard start issue? I noticed yesterday morning she seemed to start a bit harder than normal. (Temp was low/mid 40's)

Thinking of just replacing the line, banjo and washers also whatever seals at the "T" as well.

Any thoughts?

See pics, best I could do in that small space.

20221027_155849.jpg

20221027_155836.jpg

20221027_155904.jpg

• Owner
2 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

Should I just do the seals or is it common for the line itself to go bad?

Typically the sealing washers go bad. I've had to replace a set on mine awhile back. No issues since. Typically the line itself doesn't go bad but the seals on the banjo bolt or the square cut o-rings at the return tee fail. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Got the seals replaced today. Have to say it was much easier than I thought it would be. I removed the valve cover (and the one heater hose to allow pulling the valve cover off easier)

So far no leaks apparent,  I used brake cleaner to spray off the top of the bell housing the best I could. I'll check it again after a few days.