• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Draw straw install

Hello, im currently installing my draw straw and i cut a hole in the tank where i thought it would fit, but it turns out the fittings don't have room to clear when the housing is pushed down all the way. How would i remedy this? should i put a 45 degree fitting on one side? or maybe cut another hole somewhere on the tank and somehow fix the hole i cut already? interested where everyone else has put there straws. Thx im in a bit of a pinch right now so all help is appreciated.

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

• Staff

Whatever you do, don't drill another hole. Just stay with the one you drilled. My draw straw is installed to both my trucks thru the tank lid somewhere thru that but, I cannot remember the exact location on the lid. It's somewhere in a flat area that allows the O ring to seal up . The fact that you drilled the tank and not the lid has an added benefit in that you do not need to move the hot returning fuel dumping back into the tank to a different location. This way your not sucking air bubbles nor hot fuel back to the injection pump. Neither is good running thru your fuel system. You may already know this.

Getting back to your request... what do you mean 'doesn't fit when the housing is pushed down all the way'? What housing are you talking about? Second, why are there two brass barbed fittings coming from the new draw straw head? Never have seen that and should only be one?? Please explain.

11 hours ago, 2ndGen2002 said:

Would i also need to keep the stock fuel filter by the block or can i delete that after putting my lift pump on?

You must keep the stock fuel filter. That is very important. However you should add a primary water seperating filter before the lift pump to filter out sediment and other large contaminants before the lift pump can be damaged by them or emulsifying any water, like an egg beater, and the factory filter cannot then filter that water out of the fuel.

• Like 1

• Owner
13 hours ago, 2ndGen2002 said:

Would i also need to keep the stock fuel filter by the block or can i delete that after putting my lift pump on?

Keep the stock filter. You'll increase the filters ability to remove debris. I've got 3um filter on the AirDog and 7um filter in the stock filter.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Whatever you do, don't drill another hole. Just stay with the one you drilled. My draw straw is installed to both my trucks thru the tank lid somewhere thru that but, I cannot remember the exact location on the lid. It's somewhere in a flat area that allows the O ring to seal up . The fact that you drilled the tank and not the lid has an added benefit in that you do not need to move the hot returning fuel dumping back into the tank to a different location. This way your not sucking air bubbles nor hot fuel back to the injection pump. Neither is good running thru your fuel system. You may already know this.

Getting back to your request... what do you mean 'doesn't fit when the housing is pushed down all the way'? What housing are you talking about? Second, why are there two brass barbed fittings coming from the new draw straw head? Never have seen that and should only be one?? Please explain.

You must keep the stock fuel filter. That is very important. However you should add a primary water seperating filter before the lift pump to filter out sediment and other large contaminants before the lift pump can be damaged by them or emulsifying any water, like an egg beater, and the factory filter cannot then filter that water out of the fuel.

I think one is for sending fuel and one is for the return line https://fassride.com/wp-content/uploads/STK-1002.pdf this is what i have. i also have a fass 165 im installing aswell

• Staff

No it's just a fuel supply draw straw. The other barb needs to come out and just install a brass plug. Just leave the fuel return where it is because you will cause a slow deterioration of the vp44 injection pump with your fuel temps becoming hotter and hotter. Dumping the return fuel into the tank with the draw straw located elwhere gives the hot return a chance to cool before going back to the VP.

You must determine the correct length to cut the draw straw, 1/8 inch above the tank bottom and then cut it at a 45 degree angle. on the bottom. :thumb1:

I may sound like I know a lot.... Others around here have given up on me learning anything beyond what short horizon I have. I live on a small planet.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

No it's just a fuel supply draw straw. The other barb needs to come out and just install a brass plug. Just leave the fuel return where it is because you will cause a slow deterioration of the vp44 injection pump with your fuel temps becoming hotter and hotter. Dumping the return fuel into the tank with the draw straw located elwhere gives the hot return a chance to cool before going back to the VP.

You must determine the correct length to cut the draw straw, 1/8 inch above the tank bottom and then cut it at a 45 degree angle. on the bottom. :thumb1:

I may sound like I know a lot.... Others around here have given up on me learning anything beyond what short horizon I have. I live on a small planet.

ah i gotcha, so plug one side and the other will be my supply. my only concern is my new lines are 1/2inch and the oem return line is quite a bit smaller than that i think

• Staff
1 hour ago, 2ndGen2002 said:

ah i gotcha, so plug one side and the other will be my supply. my only concern is my new lines are 1/2inch and the oem return line is quite a bit smaller than that i think

That's okay it's supposed to be that way. Existing return lines are fine. The return fuel flow helps cool the Vp44. If I remember correctly only flows about 18 gallons an hour I think that's correct according to what @Tractorman found when he ran tests and measured it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

The return fuel flow helps cool the Vp44. If I remember correctly only flows about 18 gallons an hour

Your memory is still good.  About 18 gph fuel returned from the VP44 (including fuel injectors) at engine idle -  about 28 gph at 2,000 engine rpm. 

4 hours ago, JAG1 said:

You must determine the correct length to cut the draw straw, 1/8 inch above the tank bottom and then cut it at a 45 degree angle. on the bottom.

Now we will see if my memory is correct.  I think @Mopar1973Mansaid to make a straight  cut on the fuel line as in the example from FASS instructions.  If I am wrong, he will let me know.

- John

image.png.d3d722906b0f295f48fb982130b62e0b.png

On 4/2/2023 at 4:08 PM, 2ndGen2002 said:

one is for sending fuel and one is for the return line

Remember in your case with that style of pump you'll have an "extra" return. The stock return line is untouched. The new return from your FASS will go to that second hose barb (port R),per instructions you posted. In years past, that return was to a wye or tee cut into the filler neck hose.

• Staff
10 hours ago, LorenS said:

Remember in your case with that style of pump you'll have an "extra" return. The stock return line is untouched. The new return from your FASS will go to that second hose barb (port R),per instructions you posted. In years past, that return was to a wye or tee cut into the filler neck hose.

Thank you LorenS, I stand corrected, the second barbed fitting  is for the Fass for the pressure regulator to dump excess fuel pressure. I completely forgot about that and is a far better pressure regulator than on my Raptor 150's. I 'hope you didn't follow my advice on the brass plug... unless you tee the excess pressure line into the filler neck vent hose as someone said previously would solve your problem. Thank you again Loren.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 11:57 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Personally I would not return any fuel to near the straw your just adding hot fuel near the straw and foam to the fuel being drawn up. This will degrade the pump performance and increase fuel temps being sent to the VP44.

Ran into another issue trying to get this damn thing installed haha. i ended up plugging the return on the draw straw and putting it on my fuel filler neck. my next obstacle is what to do with the fuel bowl. If i take it off will i have to plug anything on there? or can i simply run my supply line from my pump to my vp44 if i take off my stock fuel bowl. 

im pretty new at this but i would just have a injector return line that i would run all the way to my fass pump skipping the oem filter housing completely. i may be unsure what my return lines run through and if i can just tie them in to the pump

Edited by 2ndGen2002