• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Valve Lash Adjustment Question

I did my valve lash yesterday while doing an oil change.  This is the second time doing the procedure.  I put the engine at TDC and did my adjustments, adjusting all the valves that were loose and that I could jiggle.  I put the engine at BDC and started on the next set.  While doing these I looked up the procedure on here to find out what the torque setting was for the jamb nuts and I noticed that one of the valves was loose (I could jiggle it) that wasn't on the list of valves to adjust while at BDC.  I finished up adjusting the valves that should of been adjusted and rotated the engine back to TDC and checked the valves and there was one that was loose that shouldn't be adjusted.  My question, is this normal.  I dont remember the last time having any loose that shouldn't be but I'm pretty sure I just followed the procedure and didn't bother checking valves that weren't listed.  

So at TDC I had a exhaust valve in bank 2 that was loose that shouldn't be and at BDC there was an exhaust valve in bank 5.  Is this normal and if not how do I remedy it?  BTW... the engine is not any noisier and if anything its less clacky after doing the adjustment (I had some that I must of not set correctly last time).

5 hours ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

I put the engine at BDC and started on the next set. 

No valves are adjusted with engine at BDC

With cylinder #1 at TDC compression stroke adjust:

Capture.JPG.053f90595c2356d991d42452bc97d1b3.JPG

Turn crankshaft one revolution to #6 TDC compression stroke.  Adjust the following:

Capture1.JPG.3328c314c9e17250197da88a13378bf2.JPG

- John

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tractorman said:

No valves are adjusted with engine at BDC

With cylinder #1 at TDC compression stroke adjust:

Capture.JPG.053f90595c2356d991d42452bc97d1b3.JPG

Turn crankshaft one revolution to #6 TDC compression stroke.  Adjust the following:

Capture1.JPG.3328c314c9e17250197da88a13378bf2.JPG

- John

I used @Mopar1973Man procedure in the articles section, same one that I used the last time.  It references spinning the engine till you see BDC for the VP44 gear.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

I put the engine at TDC and did my adjustments,

I put the engine at BDC and started on the next set

I based my response on what you wrote.  You made no mention of using the VP44 gear timing mark or using Moparman's article.  Now that you have clarified what you did, I think you have adjusted the valves correctly.

While doing these I looked up the procedure on here to find out what the torque setting was for the jamb nuts and I noticed that one of the valves was loose (I could jiggle it) that wasn't on the list of valves to adjust while at BDC.  I finished up adjusting the valves that should of been adjusted and rotated the engine back to TDC and checked the valves and there was one that was loose that shouldn't be adjusted.  My question, is this normal. 

This would be normal.  Once you rotate the engine, some of the valves you adjusted will be approaching a camshaft lobe or just be coming off of a camshaft lobe.  You will feel some looseness, but the proper feeler gauge will not fit in the space because the camshaft lobe is not in the right position for full clearance.

Always double check your work and you will be fine.

- John

Edited by Tractorman
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Tractorman said:

I based my response on what you wrote.  You made no mention of using the VP44 gear timing mark or using Moparman's article.  Now that you have clarified what you did, I think you have adjusted the valves correctly.

This would be normal.  Once you rotate the engine, some of the valves you adjusted will be approaching a camshaft lobe or just be coming off of a camshaft lobe.  You will feel some looseness, but the proper feeler gauge will not fit in the space because the camshaft lobe is not in the right position for full clearance.

Always double check your work and you will be fine.

- John

Thanks John.  Sorry for the confusion, I should of worded my initial post better. :spank:

I feel better now.  

• Haha 1

• Staff

John says, ''No worries'', yeah right!

He worries about everyone else's truck too even when camping, I had to ask him to stop working on mine at 2:30 am so I could get some sleep. :lol:

• Haha 4