• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help 911 Diesel Down

First off let’s start off with saying I’m glad I found your site!!! Great Job and keep up the great work!!!

I have been in the Cummins thing for many years, I use to be the admin on the old SETDR site if some of you remember. That site is what kicked off the Diesel Garage and Comp Diesel sites. When SETDR died I kinda laid back and focused on other things in life. I have an 01 Dodge Cummins ( Big Red )with DD4’s, 5” exhaust, hx35 w/boost elbow, Edge Drag Comp, all the gauges, Holley blue pusher pump ( which I started the installation craze) and a full blown Sun Coast Comp Tranny w/triple lock Tq Convertor, So she’s pretty stout and build to my likeing. Last dynode @ 437hp 1050 tq.

Nuff about me and on to the issue:

I don’t drive her much since my job gives me a work truck to drive and foots the fuel bills. I went to NY for a family wedding and while I was gone we had a lightning strike here at the house. I mean it blew the phone lines off the walls and blew the main breakers on the power panel. Yea that close. After that time I when to get in Big Red to load her up to make a dump run and she was in I guess a Detuned mode. The truck starts fine and idles fine, but when you hit the go pedal it immediately jumps to 1300 RPMs and stays there until you let off. Then it’s back to idle.

Checked the code and got P0236, P0237, and P1689. TS and got a new Map Sensor and still P0236, P1689. Unhooked all Edge comp connectors and went back to factory which cleared P0236 but still have P1689 and same idle/1300 RPM issue. Cleared the code many times with code reader and shorting + and – battery tremanals for 30 sec’s, the whole 9 yards.

Yes Edge Comp is Dead, and will take it to Edge next week when I visit Daughter in Utah next week.

So where to go next? Gonna do the P1689 Troubleshoot steps here to try and see if ECM is bad or what.

The question? Is it possible that the EMP Pulse from the lightning could have fed through the Edge comp and blew the Map, ECM, and or VP? Anything is possible I guess. I’d like a sanity check here first before I start blowing megabuck on throwing parts at this thing. Pleas chime in and let me know your thoughts!~!!! Michael It was me that tried to call you this morning on the phone to see what you think. Call me back at the number I left for you in you can.

Thanks in advanced

JG

First off let’s start off with saying I’m glad I found your site!!! Great Job and keep up the great work!!!

I have been in the Cummins thing for many years, I use to be the admin on the old SETDR site if some of you remember. That site is what kicked off the Diesel Garage and Comp Diesel sites. When SETDR died I kinda laid back and focused on other things in life. I have an 01 Dodge Cummins ( Big Red )with DD4’s, 5” exhaust, hx35 w/boost elbow, Edge Drag Comp, all the gauges, Holley blue pusher pump ( which I started the installation craze) and a full blown Sun Coast Comp Tranny w/triple lock Tq Convertor, So she’s pretty stout and build to my likeing. Last dynode @ 437hp 1050 tq.

Nuff about me and on to the issue:

I don’t drive her much since my job gives me a work truck to drive and foots the fuel bills. I went to NY for a family wedding and while I was gone we had a lightning strike here at the house. I mean it blew the phone lines off the walls and blew the main breakers on the power panel. Yea that close. After that time I when to get in Big Red to load her up to make a dump run and she was in I guess a Detuned mode. The truck starts fine and idles fine, but when you hit the go pedal it immediately jumps to 1300 RPMs and stays there until you let off. Then it’s back to idle.

Checked the code and got P0236, P0237, and P1689. TS and got a new Map Sensor and still P0236, P1689. Unhooked all Edge comp connectors and went back to factory which cleared P0236 but still have P1689 and same idle/1300 RPM issue. Cleared the code many times with code reader and shorting + and – battery tremanals for 30 sec’s, the whole 9 yards.

Yes Edge Comp is Dead, and will take it to Edge next week when I visit Daughter in Utah next week.

So where to go next? Gonna do the P1689 Troubleshoot steps here to try and see if ECM is bad or what.

The question? Is it possible that the EMP Pulse from the lightning could have fed through the Edge comp and blew the Map, ECM, and or VP? Anything is possible I guess. I’d like a sanity check here first before I start blowing megabuck on throwing parts at this thing. Pleas chime in and let me know your thoughts!~!!! Michael It was me that tried to call you this morning on the phone to see what you think. Call me back at the number I left for you in you can.

Thanks in advanced

JG

YES! I only know this because there is a dirt bike track under the main power lines (those huge ones that are straight from the power company and run 100,000+ volts) and they are only 30-40ft off the ground and everyone that has a truck that runs on a computer (newer than 12V trucks) acts up on them when they drive under it. So a surge of lightning could very well be enough to completely fry it. Could be wrong but I am betting money on it. You can sit there and listen to their trucks idle rough and do a whole bunch of other things as they drive under them.

I'll call him monday after I perform the P1689 harness test to make sure it's the ECM or not. Let Ya'll know what I find out.

--- Update to the previous post...

Well after ohming out the harness All's good!!! All the checks are within spec. SUCKS TO BE ME, So now I'm looking at either the VP44 or the ECM as bad!!

I'm starting a 50/50 Bid pool and to which one is bad any takers??? $10 a bid HE HE HE!!! maybe I can get enough to help offset the cost ROFLMAO!!!!

I'll call him monday after I perform the P1689 harness test to make sure it's the ECM or not. Let Ya'll know what I find out.

--- Update to the previous post...

Well after ohming out the harness All's good!!! All the checks are within spec. SUCKS TO BE ME, So now I'm looking at either the VP44 or the ECM as bad!!

I'm starting a 50/50 Bid pool and to which one is bad any takers??? $10 a bid HE HE HE!!! maybe I can get enough to help offset the cost ROFLMAO!!!!

Good! Cheap ECM, at least so far anyway....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170560206006&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_1182

Ok let's revisit this thing logically; The truck starts fine and Idles when you hit the accelerator pedal it immediately jumps to 1200-1300 RPM. If I plug in the Edge comp box It throw's a P0236 map sensor code. If I plug in the factory harness The P0236 clears. All Things being equal Yes I do have a hard P1689 code and have performed the resistance tests and all is clean no ground faults or opens. If the ECM is still throwing codes like it should to the pcm and Triggering the Fuel Pump Relay to let the truck run and idle. and the Apps is telling the ecm to ramp up RPM's and the ECM is telling the VP44 to ramp RPM's But the VP44 just triggers a High Idle. Common sence points to the VP44 as bieng dead and not the ECM like the troubleshooting steps says. Boggled and confused??? So am I Honest opinion from yall, we have a 50/50 chance of getting this right. If you were in this situation what would you change first the VP44 or the ECM and why???? Honest question!!! JG

The only problem is I spent half the day calling various Places for just that. Being the economy it is they all just want to sell me an ECU or Sell Me a VP44. They all come up with line that it's too exspensive to bench test these 2 Items and if they do they can't garuntee if they can find a problem or not. Even the dealership want's me to bring it in so they can throw their computer on it and perform the same tests that I have so they can make a quick $150 buck. It's frustrating!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Well I know it's been a while on this problem and work and travel has keep me busy. Sorry. I found an ECM from a guy on another site and bought it from him. It was a good NO CODE ECM from a running 01 Dodge Auto truck. Sam year and model as mine. In Fact the date code on the ECM is only 2 Months newer than mine. Finally got to install it today. and Guess what? NO I TOLD YOU SO's!!! The same Issue is still there. DOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!!. All things being equal The Dreaded P1689 Code leaves little wiggle room. DEAD VP!!!! So I guess I'm in the market for a VP now if Anybody has one they want to unload. Thankl JG