• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

24 valve missing

hey guys i dont no if you all remember my post bout my 2002 24 valve with the weird miss in it but just thought i would let you all no what was wrong with it. ok so the truck ended up blowing out the head gasket between 5 and 6 and on top of that the aftermarket head gasket i put on the truck not even 11,000 miles ago took number 5 piston out with it so in short the motor gets a over haul at just 154,289. thanks for everybodys help.

hey guys i dont no if you all remember my post bout my 2002 24 valve with the weird miss in it but just thought i would let you all no what was wrong with it. ok so the truck ended up blowing out the head gasket between 5 and 6 and on top of that the aftermarket head gasket i put on the truck not even 11,000 miles ago took number 5 piston out with it so in short the motor gets a over haul at just 154,289. thanks for everybodys help.

ouch - sorry man:banghead: What overhaul you doing and whats that gonna set u back ? :stuned:

im not sure if im just gonna put a piston in it or if im gonna in frame or jerk it out and do the works to it it dont have any oil leaks right now or any thing but im not sure what im going to do and im still pricing parts a piston from cummins costs 193.00 and gaskets for the hole motor are around 650.00 to 700.00 so im still looking for some other prices.

goes to show everyone how important a compression test is. what brand head gasket did you go with. was it a stock replacement or a thicker one? did you follow the torque instructions for the head bolts?

im not sure if im just gonna put a piston in it or if im gonna in frame or jerk it out and do the works to it it dont have any oil leaks right now or any thing but im not sure what im going to do and im still pricing parts a piston from cummins costs 193.00 and gaskets for the hole motor are around 650.00 to 700.00 so im still looking for some other prices.

Call Freightliner, Have engine# handy. If you've never dealt with your local Freightliner don't tell them it's in a Dodge pick-up USE Engine#:smart:

yes i followed the torque sequence and i even had head studs in it. i went with a after market head gasket that was suppose to hold alot more then what i have got done it is kinda like a fire ring head gasket but the head aint got to be grooved it got the rings that set down around each piston and tthey crush when you torque the head. so what i mean by it took a piston with it is that when it blew out the ring that sits around each piston and the gasket got in to the piston and ate the edge of the piston up the walls are fine just gonna run a hone in it and go bout my business. i called the company i got it from and come to find out they dont carry that gasket any more because they had problems with it so what does a guy do?

• Like 1

kameronk,So what are you figuring out here? Leave the enginge in & just address the #5 piston problem & use the stock gasket? Seems that's they way you're sorta heading. I guess I should do a compression test/check myself then.Get 'er Runnin,Dave

Dave3500 yes dave that is what im in the process of doing. engine is staying in and just messing with #5 piston. stock head gasket . yes i would suggestrunning a compression test because it looks like this gasket of mine was leaking just a lil bit at a time and then just went out. im done with after market stuff like that. Dave isyour truck running bad or are you just looking to try and prevent anything from happing?

ok guys here is a update on my pig. the head is back from getting checked out all is good on that end so now its time to finish the tear down and that consists of just doing the #5 hole in the truck and get the pig up and running.

Doing any of this yourself - is pics and writeup plz - else - step by step of process and costs ?? Curious. :thumbup2: Wondering how much damage there was - and hopw much ibvolved in work and $$ to fix.

JOHNFAK, ya im doing all the work my self. i just got all the prices today and they are a piston kit is 85.00, a complete engine gasket kit is 350.00 and sending my head off to get checked and serfaced cost is 250.00. So the total cost in doing it my self is right around 800.00 so i will look up the labor hours next week to see so how many hours it calls to do this. guys i have it a lil easier then most people do when it comes to working on my stuff i worked in a shop when i was in high school and have kept in touch with him so he is letting me use anything that i need to get it done so i will get pics step by step and everything for you all. im hopping to get everything next week and have the truck up and running by the end of the week .