• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mopar Oil Filter

you will be fine will what you are wanting..have been running fleetguard for years ..i got some ELF7349 donaldson endurance oil filters..99%@15 micron..where as the fleetguard stratapore are 25 micron..the donaldson listed above has the same media as the amsoil..per AH64..and i use valvoline pre-blue..doesn't stink like rotella..but everyone is different.:thumbup2:

When I got to get filters I either get the Wix from Napa, Mopar, or Fleetguard when I can find them. I am planning on buying mine online so I can get them in bulk and save some dough. I would imagine the Mopar filter would be leaps and bounds over those crappy Fram filters.

you will be fine will what you are wanting..have been running fleetguard for years ..i got some ELF7349 donaldson endurance oil filters..99%@15 micron..where as the fleetguard stratapore are 25 micron..the donaldson listed above has the same media as the amsoil..per AH64..and i use valvoline pre-blue..doesn't stink like rotella..but everyone is different.:thumbup2:

Wow, that's impressive! Also check out Michael's Frantz by-pass filter. W/ the by-pass you could run anything available. Supposed to clean down to 3/10th's of a micron. I have one on mine, filter replacement is less than a buck!

Dave

Mopar or Fleetguard OE filter: 35um @ 98.7% Wix Standard: 30um @ 96.6% Wix XE: 20um @ 95% Fleetguard Stratapore: 25um @ 98.7% Amsoil or Donaldson: 20um @ 100%, 15um @ 98.7% *best*

Where did you get this info? I did not know that a Wix XE was not as good as a standard. Huh!

• Staff

How does Puralator and Mobile line up with the above filters?

The Purolator PureOne filter is 99.9% at 20um, so probably the same as the Donaldson/Amsoil.

Where did you get this info? I did not know that a Wix XE was not as good as a standard. Huh!

XE stands for extra efficiency. The Wix Data is on the wix website, and the others come from previous research and data from the filter makers. IIRC the Baldwin is either 25um or 30um absolute. So better than stock, but the same or slightly less than the stratapore.

• Staff

Great info to know when we do comparative shopping. So isn't the PureOne the lowest cost of them all as well?

I have never priced one, but they may be?

But you would need 5-9 of them to have the same filter life as the Amsoil/Donaldson.

Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer.

• Owner

I tend to make up for the fleetguard lacking by using a bypass filter (Frantz Filter) and it down to 1/2 Micron according to their web site www.wefilterit.com ... Like Dorkweed proved already that you can go 80K+ miles with cheap old WalMart Supertech Engine Oil, fleetgaurd filters, and a bypass filter and never think about changing oil... (Scary but true!) But that just my thoughts on it...

Screen doors will catch 2um crap at 0.00001%.

You don't know how true the statement you made actually is. I have sat through several filter seminars through the years by a few different makes. Latest being a fleetgaurd. The best teachers are those who are not salesmen are brutally honest. All the numbers in the world that all brands claim on oil filters mean nothing if it can't handle the flow requirement of the system. I will go no further into this as it is just to give something to think about and I can open a whole arguement here. Fuel filters are a different scenario. I am talking oil filters only.

• Owner

I do both, good full flow and good bypass..

I know the Frantz says 1/2 micron, but at what percentage? Screen doors will catch 2um crap at 0.00001%.

I don't know all the numbers and details but... Well now let look at it...

post-2-138698172879_thumb.jpg

Oil enters the center tube and is pumped to the top of the toilet paper roll and then forced through the toilet paper edge wise downward. It leaves on the outer ring through the screen. So now take a look at tight wound TP roll and look at it from the edge to edge I but it can easily 1/2 micron... Now the flow rate is extremely slow because of the TP compressed media...

Like w&F points out if you aim for a super tight filter media the flow rates start to suffer to a point then the second part is when does the filter go into bypass mode? Yes... This does happen with stock filters that they actually plug up and go into a bypass mode to keep the engine lubed but the filter is no longer functional.

So what is a good balance of filter without over choking and under-filtering? :shrug:

So in my mind Fleetguard and a bypass filter should keep it clean...

As for Mopar some of them are Fram repainted filters... (Cars)

Posted Image

But looking between that simple paper element to a roll of TP...