• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

best fuel filter

how do you get 50k on a fuel filter here in the great state of minnesota and our bio diesel it is more like 5k miles on fuel filters:lol: not quite that bad but i manage a NAPA and we sell about as many fuel filters as we do oil filters i know alot of common rail guys that carry a extra in the truck. As for what kind of filter dont count out the NAPA Gold line they are great filters made by wix. most of you guys can find a NAPA easier. the NAPA #s that end in XE (extended efficincy) are great the new 6.7 filter is even a fleetgard filter.

• Staff

how do you get 50k on a fuel filter here in the great state of minnesota and our bio diesel it is more like 5k miles on fuel filters:lol: not quite that bad but i manage a NAPA and we sell about as many fuel filters as we do oil filters i know alot of common rail guys that carry a extra in the truck. As for what kind of filter dont count out the NAPA Gold line they are great filters made by wix. most of you guys can find a NAPA easier. the NAPA #s that end in XE (extended efficincy) are great the new 6.7 filter is even a fleetgard filter.

Wix made fuel filters are not that great. They don't even offer a filter for the 5.9 commonrail that meets OE specs. Any diesel owner should carry a spare filter, you can get bad fuel in any year vehicle. The only real way to extend filter life is with a fuel psi gauge. With good fuel they can go a long time, but one bad tank and they are done.

Napa does to offer a filter the # is 3585xe it is a 7 micron filter but you have to have the xe on the end

--- Update to the previous post...

also as far a longevity of fuel filters here in minnesota we have bio and it does not mix well with cold weather. I swear at our NAPA we sell a ton of fuel filters our fuel is horable it has no self life and gells often. I have hade guy bring in filters with no hours black and mold growing on them it is great for our buisness

• Staff

Napa does to offer a filter the # is 3585xe it is a 7 micron filter but you have to have the xe on the end

Per the spec's on the wix website the 33585XE is an 8um absolute filter. The OE requires 7um at 98.7%. There is a big difference in nominal and absolute. Wix Data http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=33585XE OE TSB http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2006/14-007-06.htm Bio does gel a lot easier. I had fully treated B20 that gelled on me twice, and the 2nd time it had a full dose of Amsoil Diesel Recovery in it. The reason bio cloggs filters is it acts as a solvent and will clean out your tank.

Per the spec's on the wix website the 33585XE is an 8um absolute filter. The OE requires 7um at 98.7%. There is a big difference in nominal and absolute. Wix Data http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=33585XE OE TSB http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2006/14-007-06.htm Bio does gel a lot easier. I had fully treated B20 that gelled on me twice, and the 2nd time it had a full dose of Amsoil Diesel Recovery in it. The reason bio cloggs filters is it acts as a solvent and will clean out your tank.

I have heard this before, are you sure it's cleaning out the junk in the tank though. I pulled my tank on my 01 about two years ago and was impressed how clean it was.

you do need to watch what you use as an additive also not all will mix with bio, FPPF is a great product that will get rid of water in fuel that is why you are gelling the water just keeps building up you need to either drain out the water or use a product that will mulcifie the water to run it throug the system. Bio promotes the water and attracts it into the tank, but as far as cleaning it does it also lubricates very good, but if you leave it in the tank it will grow bactiera and really screw things up then you will need to shock it like your hot tub to stop it growing.

• Staff

go to http://napafilters.com it will tell you 7 micron I know fleetgaurd is a good filter but they are not always available most guys the closest place for me to get a oem filter is a day out shipped or a 30 min to hour drive so if I am having a problem therer is usally a auto parts store ie (NAPA) real close

Directly from the NAPA website.. this is a 8um absolute filter, 7um nominal. The OE spec is 7um absolute, this the 33585XE does not meet OE spec and should never be used. If you read the spec sheet it says 7um nominal. And if you read the beta ratio of 20/75 = 6/8, the means that the filter is 6um at 95% and 8um at 98.7%, thus a 8um absolute filter and short of OEM requirements for the 5.9L HPCR. Most 5.9 HPCR's are out of warranty by now, but using a Wix filter and having a filtration related failure can be denied under warranty since it doesn't meet OE spec.

so I find it funny when I talked to the wix engineer he said that cummins built the engine to use a 3 micron filter and dodge put on a 10 micron now everyone is trying to figure out how to fix it the best solution is a fass or airdog or that other company that offers a 2micron filter so your filter sould NEVER be used either.

Wow that's wild, this bio fuel your talking about is it being forced on us at the pump? Or is it a choice to use it? Sounds like the ethynol that's being forced on us. I was fueling up 04 (gas) miller welder the other day when the rubber liner in the cap just fell apart in my hand.

• Staff

so I find it funny when I talked to the wix engineer he said that cummins built the engine to use a 3 micron filter and dodge put on a 10 micron now everyone is trying to figure out how to fix it the best solution is a fass or airdog or that other company that offers a 2micron filter so your filter sould NEVER be used either.

Bosch wants a 5um filter on the truck (This is data I personally received from Bosch, the maker of the CP3 and injectors), Dodge started at 10um in 03 and that was changed to 7um after a few years. Now the 6.7 uses a 5um setup. Neither FASS nor AD sell a filter that is 2um. The best FASS you can get is 4um, and the best AD is 3um. Personally I run 3 filters on my truck (25/5/2), and have 3 years of extensive filter research for the HPCR behind me. Trust me when I tell you that my fuel is cleaner than just about every other HPCR on the road. But if you break it down as simple and official as it gets then 7um absolute is required by Dodge (The only company we can deal with for warranty issues). The TSB I linked earler show's this. Wix publishes data that their XE (best available) filter does not meet OE spec. It's not just Wix, there are other companies that make filters that don't meet OE spec. The only filters that should be ran in the OE canister are the OEM (Fleetguard/Cummins/Mopar), Donaldson P550800 or Baldwin PF7977 (also labled as a Hastings FF1260). The OEM and Donladson are 7um absolute, and the PF7977 is 5um absolute and the best available. Here is some of the filter data I have collected.... http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/1994-Common-Fuel-Filter-Data?highlight= What I find funny about Wix engineers is they beleive that nominal is just as good as absolute. I have been told by more than one Wix rep is that the 8um is "good enough" for the Dodge, a micron is small and nominal will be just fine, despite what OE spec is. Thats absolutly wrong, and I will never run another Wix filter based on that philosophy.

AH where do you find the specs of a filter? I cant find anything or Im just not looking in the right places on either of these filters? I would like to see if the P550550 is a match then I can order both fuel filters and a donaldson oil filter from the same place. thank you

• Staff

AH where do you find the specs of a filter? I cant find anything or Im just not looking in the right places on either of these filters? I would like to see if the P550550 is a match then I can order both fuel filters and a donaldson oil filter from the same place. thank you

I got all of my data from calling or emailing the filter mfgrs. You can call Donaldson as ask the ratings on the P550550. What you want to know is rated flow and emulisifed water and free water separation rates. Those numbers will tell you if you want to run that cross or not. I don't have immediate access to the BF1275 specs, but I am 99% sure its 96.5% emulsified water and 99% free water sep up to 120 GPH.

yes up here in minnesota bio is mandated by the state I think it is an average of b2 but as high a b10 they are not suppose to use it in the winter but know one can for sure answer that. I do think the bio fuel is good but you need to know how to treat it and be prepared. As for the ethonal we a privelaged to have that also:cookoo: let me tell you it dose cause problems I work at a NAPA and I see your situation alot, but the manufacturs are coming around and the prouducts coming out now are much better able to handle the fuel are being forced on us

--- Update to the previous post...

Bosch wants a 5um filter on the truck (This is data I personally received from Bosch, the maker of the CP3 and injectors), Dodge started at 10um in 03 and that was changed to 7um after a few years. Now the 6.7 uses a 5um setup.

Neither FASS nor AD sell a filter that is 2um. The best FASS you can get is 4um, and the best AD is 3um.

Personally I run 3 filters on my truck (25/5/2), and have 3 years of extensive filter research for the HPCR behind me. Trust me when I tell you that my fuel is cleaner than just about every other HPCR on the road.

But if you break it down as simple and official as it gets then 7um absolute is required by Dodge (The only company we can deal with for warranty issues). The TSB I linked earler show's this. Wix publishes data that their XE (best available) filter does not meet OE spec. It's not just Wix, there are other companies that make filters that don't meet OE spec. The only filters that should be ran in the OE canister are the OEM (Fleetguard/Cummins/Mopar), Donaldson P550800 or Baldwin PF7977 (also labled as a Hastings FF1260). The OEM and Donladson are 7um absolute, and the PF7977 is 5um absolute and the best available.

Here is some of the filter data I have collected....

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/1994-Common-Fuel-Filter-Data?highlight=

What I find funny about Wix engineers is they beleive that nominal is just as good as absolute. I have been told by more than one Wix rep is that the 8um is "good enough" for the Dodge, a micron is small and nominal will be just fine, despite what OE spec is. Thats absolutly wrong, and I will never run another Wix filter based on that philosophy.

Okay so now you tell me warranty is a big issue when you said that most 5.9common rails are out of warranty. But you altimatly use a final filter rating of 2 far less than the filter the OE is requiring yes I understand that the better the filtering the better off you are but sometimes you have to go farther than what the almighty DODGE tells you if you are out of warranty and dont want to buy a cp3 pump go with the lowest micron you can find NOT the OEM manufactures recommended Right!!!

• Staff

Okay so now you tell me warranty is a big issue when you said that most 5.9common rails are out of warranty. But you altimatly use a final filter rating of 2 far less than the filter the OE is requiring yes I understand that the better the filtering the better off you are but sometimes you have to go farther than what the almighty DODGE tells you if you are out of warranty and dont want to buy a cp3 pump go with the lowest micron you can find NOT the OEM manufactures recommended Right!!!

I got all of my data from calling or emailing the filter mfgrs. You can call Donaldson as ask the ratings on the P550550. What you want to know is rated flow and emulsified water and free water separation rates. Those numbers will tell you if you want to run that cross or not. I don't have immediate access to the BF1275 specs, but I am 99% sure its 96.5% emulsified water and 99% free water sep up to 120 GPH.

• 2 weeks later...

Now today I talked to our NAPA filters technical support (Wix Filters) and he said that all of their filters MEET OR EXCEDE oem specs!!! If they din't they could not sell their filters SO you can't say they make a bad filter that dosent met the oe standards and if you don't belive me call them the #1-800-949-6698 they would gladly talk to you about it!!

• Staff

Now today I talked to our NAPA filters technical support (Wix Filters) and he said that all of their filters MEET OR EXCEDE oem specs!!! If they din't they could not sell their filters SO you can't say they make a bad filter that dosent met the oe standards and if you don't belive me call them the #1-800-949-6698 they would gladly talk to you about it!!

I have called and talked to them, several times. I get that same line every time, then I point out the TSB showing that 7um absolute is required and that their website states they are an 8um filter. Most the time they ask if I know how small 1 micron is, and their filter is "good enough", the verbage is always so close its as if they are reading a script. You may have more pull with them as a NAPA manager, so point out that they advertise that their filter does NOT meet or EXCEED spec, it falls short. Its impossible to dispute based on data Wix publishes, the data is black and white. I can say it doesn't meet spec all I want, its the same way the Wix states it when you read the data. The beta ratio of 75 denotes 98.7%, or absolute. A rating of 8 at beta 75 means 8um absolute, 98.7%. Its how filter ratings work. You can read it here... http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=33585XE I'm not making this stuff up. Based on the data that Wix publishes their filter should never be used.