• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine Stopping Procedure

Anybody got a turbo timer installed on their truck to prevent from cooking the oil at shutdown? Don't really like having to sit there for a minute or two before shutting her down. ...or am I the only one doing this? :shrug:

Everyone does this. Supposed to let it get down to at least 300F. I know they got it on the Edge Juice. Probably separate turbo timers out there. You can speed up the process by letting it roll or idle or driving slow before you stop. Like I have a bit of driveway to drive up at 10mph and that will have the EGT's down by the time I get to the house.

I'd like to get one. The Quadzilla that came with the truck has this feature but doesn't work. I would go through the re-installation process of the Quad but, I don't feel like workin out in the cold anymore than I already have to at work.I bet it's awesome to have though.

I'm with ISX on this one, but it's all in how/where you drive, in my opinion.In my case, I have a few miles of development/neighborhood streets to navigate before I actually get to the house. Same goes for going to work. However, on highway runs, or when pulling the trailer, I tend to let it idle for a minute or so. I do not have a TT or anything else, for that matter. I just sit there and wait on it. I figure that if I'm in that big of a hurry, I should've left sooner ;)I did, however, use them on my gas turbo cars. Well, only on the non-watercooled turbos, anyway. The watercooled turbo car, I usually didn't wait, if much more than about 30 seconds or so..

A turbo timer is nothing more than a device that keeps 12V power on the IGN and ACC wiring of the ignition switch, via a timed set of relays.$200 for a TT? someone needs kicked in the behind, if they spend that kinda money for one.ANY turbo timer will work, if you want one. They aren't vehicle or fuel-type specific.Any number of them can be had from $50-100 max on ebay. (Apex-i, HKS, to name a couple)

along with this subject...the oil passage in the turbo...supply and return line..on the turbo it's self is NOT BIG at all..my opinon is at least two minutes of idle time and maybe more in the summer..the automatic trucks dont cool down as fast as manual trannyed truck!

along with this subject...the oil passage in the turbo...supply and return line..on the turbo it's self is NOT BIG at all..my opinon is at least two minutes of idle time and maybe more in the summer..the automatic trucks dont cool down as fast as manual trannyed truck!

There was a thread on this earlier. What cooks the oil is heat... EGT... Best way to get the EGT down is to down shift, get RPMs up for last mile or 2. I plan my stops, cut the speed, downshift a mile or 2 ahead. I don't have a ETG guage yet but those that tested convinced me to change how I drive on trips. On local driving, running empty, like others I have several miles of local roads, so I drive slow which the neighbors appreciate... minimal cool down needed.