• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Shifting in and out of 4wd speed?

2WD to 4WD-HI should not be an issue at normal speeds. I've done it at 30-35 before (several times) with no odd noises, grinding, jerking, etc.. Just like buttah.. This is with both my '96 and my '01..This may not be 'recommended', but I've done it/do it with no ill effects.

• Like 1

2WD to 4WD-HI should not be an issue at normal speeds. I've done it at 30-35 before (several times) with no odd noises, grinding, jerking, etc.. Just like buttah.. This is with both my '96 and my '01.. This may not be 'recommended', but I've done it/do it with no ill effects.

given the fact that it's all interconnected, just disengaged, I don't see where 2H to 4H would cause any issues, to be honest. Having rebuilt several 231/241 tcases, they're quite simplistic in interior design. you're just moving a coupler. 4L, however, is a whole different creature. you're then engaging planetaries. (231 series has 3 planetary gears, whereas the 241 series has 6.)

Yea engaging or disengaging at 55 MPH or lower is what is recommended. I have done up to 45 MPH and have yet to have any problems. I am in the same situation as you. I am driving along and no snow and than all the sudden it turns to ice or snow so I just take my foot off the pedal and give the shifter a good hard pull into 4 HI. Just make sure you pull hard all at once otherwise you will probably get a grind and as far as going back to 2 HI I just let off the pedal and just push the shifter forward without much effort.

• Like 1