• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

285/75R16 any clearance issues

I run 295/75/16s on my '01, and it required I go with a leveling kit, as I rubbed the fenders pretty good..Granted, I run a 16x10 wheel with a good bit of offset, I just don't remember what the offset is , at the moment.. I've got about 1/5-2.0" of tire sticking out from under the fender lip..

I'm not happy with the stock rims... they're corroding under the center caps... but I seem to have a lot of room. I haven't raised or leveled & in fact, that would likely be a problem as I have trouble getting up on my step as it it. (MS has screwed my legs up pretty much.) BUT I have plow pkg & camper pkg so that may boost the height from normal.Hmmm.Anybody have advise?

I'm not happy with the stock rims... they're corroding under the center caps... but I seem to have a lot of room. I haven't raised or leveled & in fact, that would likely be a problem as I have trouble getting up on my step as it it. (MS has screwed my legs up pretty much.) BUT I have plow pkg & camper pkg so that may boost the height from normal. Hmmm. Anybody have advise?

Mine rub on the lower control arms too at full turn. But I wouldn't advise going up in size, you'll lose mpg's. I know they look nice but I'm pretty dissappointed in mine mpg wise and think I'll drop back down next time. I've got Toyo open country m/t's.

• Like 1

OK, I'm going to go measure my clearances with OEM tires (which are a factory up-size... I presume, with one of the packages the truck is equipped with). I'm confused by why your MPG suffer with larger tires. My MPG isn't great & a highway speeds (with my 4:10 gears) I'm reving higher than I want... unless I kick in the OD on the Level or Down-hill (issue is towing)... I'm thinking the larger tire will cut the final ratio, moving me by some small percentage toward standard ratio like 3:55.

OK, I'm going to go measure my clearances with OEM tires (which are a factory up-size... I presume, with one of the packages the truck is equipped with). I'm confused by why your MPG suffer with larger tires. My MPG isn't great & a highway speeds (with my 4:10 gears) I'm reving higher than I want... unless I kick in the OD Level or down hill (issue is towing)... I'm thinking the larger tire will cut the final ratio, moving me by some small percentage toward standard ratio like 3:55.

MPG suffers due to the additional rotating mass + "taller" final gear ratio created with a taller tire. When I say additional rotating mass, I mean like my 295-75/16 Hankook DynaPro Rt03s are about 135 lbs each (wheel + tire).

Tires may be easily changed but are the final component of the gear ratio. In my limited experience there can be too tall a ratio but also too low. In my experience 4.10 is too low for what I do, with the tires which came on it. I think a larger circumference tire, will raise the effective gear ratio moving it in the direction I want to go. I think that rather than decreasing MPGs it might improve it, at cruising speed, where I'm reving higher than I'd like. The stock 3.55 ratio or even 3.73 would be better than this. (I did not know enough about diesels & the truck salesman sold me what was on the lot... I've learned a lot since then.)

• Owner

OK, I'm going to go measure my clearances with OEM tires (which are a factory up-size... I presume, with one of the packages the truck is equipped with). I'm confused by why your MPG suffer with larger tires. My MPG isn't great & a highway speeds (with my 4:10 gears) I'm reving higher than I want... unless I kick in the OD on the Level or Down-hill (issue is towing)... I'm thinking the larger tire will cut the final ratio, moving me by some small percentage toward standard ratio like 3:55.

• Like 1

Tires may be easily changed but are the final component of the gear ratio. In my limited experience there can be too tall a ratio but also too low. In my experience 4.10 is too low for what I do, with the tires which came on it. I think a larger circumference tire, will raise the effective gear ratio moving it in the direction I want to go. I think that rather than decreasing MPGs it might improve it, at cruising speed, where I'm reving higher than I'd like. The stock 3.55 ratio or even 3.73 would be better than this. (I did not know enough about diesels & the truck salesman sold me what was on the lot... I've learned a lot since then.)

• Like 1

I'm not happy with the stock rims... they're corroding under the center caps... but I seem to have a lot of room. I haven't raised or leveled & in fact, that would likely be a problem as I have trouble getting up on my step as it it. (MS has screwed my legs up pretty much.) BUT I have plow pkg & camper pkg so that may boost the height from normal. Hmmm. Anybody have advise?

• Like 1

Thanks bugman,I'm also 8800 gvw so sounds like pretty identical suspensions. I'd like to just bump to 285s/75R16's, if they'll fit. I like the look of a off-road tread but really don't go off-road. What I need is an open enough tire to do well in snow & slush.

According to a rpm/mph speed chart that ISX posted here somewhere I should have had 3.55's but in reality I have 4.10's so I guess they make that much difference.