• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rear end locker

I have a 2001 dodge quad 2500 4x4 auto with 34 in tires, question is I get lots of wheel spin with only 1 wheel pulling, but lock in 4 wheel drive the front end locks. Is the rear end open carrier when stock and what do yall recommend as a good locker for rear. Also thinking of going to a 410 gear from the stock 355 front and rear. Thanks for the help in advance

First why do you want to go to 4.10 gears, Most who have them hate them. Second is how do you use the rig daily driver regular off road ect, There are many many many options for limited slip or locker diffs it just depends on how you use it and would like it to perform. Go to http://www.ringpinion.com/ and you can look and read up on lots of options and get an idea of costs for your Dana 70.

i usually pull about 8-14 k every other weekend, I figured since I went from 31 in tires to 34 in tires it would help in pulling, also i have never had a 3/4 or 1 ton with less than 373 gears, I mostly keep the truck around 55-60 mph and sometimes upto 75mph but at 75 mph I only get around 1750-1800 rpm, i also spend alot of time in hunting club dirt roads and pastures but the single wheel make me put it 4 wheel drive alot when i don,t need it

i think the 4.10's would be a good gear for what you do, just remember that you will be higher in the rpm's at highway speeds. as far as a locker for the rear it just depends on what you are looking for because a Detroit locker is very strong and very aggressive, where as a lock right is still pretty strong but not as aggressive and it will unlock under a pretty good load.

• Like 1

i usually pull about 8-14 k every other weekend, I figured since I went from 31 in tires to 34 in tires it would help in pulling, also i have never had a 3/4 or 1 ton with less than 373 gears, I mostly keep the truck around 55-60 mph and sometimes upto 75mph but at 75 mph I only get around 1750-1800 rpm, i also spend alot of time in hunting club dirt roads and pastures but the single wheel make me put it 4 wheel drive alot when i don,t need it

14k on a 3/4t suspension? whew..

3.55s with 34" tires is going the wrong direction, if you're looking for pulling power. You "virtually" replaced your 3.55s with like, a 3.23, as your speedo (uncorrected) is about 5-6mph off (reading slow). This should be a solid 3-400rpm lower than OE size tires.

I want to replace my 3.55s with 4.10s, but I rarely do more than 65mph, and I tow pretty much constantly during the spring-to-fall months, at ~9000 lbs.

Additionally:

3.55:1 axle

1800 rpm

34" tire diameter

1:1 tcase ratio

.69 final gear (auto OD)

YIELD: 75mph

3.55:1 axle

1800 rpm

31" tire diameter

1:1 tcase ratio

.69 final gear (auto OD)

YIELD: 68mph

A 4:10 diff gear set will drop that 75mph @ 1800 to 64mph @ 1800. Respectively, the 31" tire at 1800rpm would drop the speed from 68 to 59mph.

The truck would pull a lot better, imo. The top end would be a lot lower, but I think the more responsiveness and applied torque would outweigh that. At least, it would for me.

Remember, that the 3.55 and 4.10 in a D80 axle are different carriers. I think the 3.55 carrier will take up to a 3.73, then above that, requires a different carrier assembly.

---edit---

My truck has the D80 LSD rear. If I were to go with a locker, my first thought it to look at Powertrax. This is because that's what I used in all my rock crawlers, and they performed very well. Albeit noisy, I really liked them. Take into consideration, also, that a locked rear will be more skiddish and a handful to drive in 2WD mode on rainy, snowy, and generally slick conditions on hard surfaces..

• Like 1

The rear in my truck is locked, I dont know if its the oem thats wore out or a locker but it is locked. I dont like driving it on dry or wet pavement because you always feel that push. Granted its nice offroad but I rarely go offroad. When im driving down the road and let off the throttle I always get a little jolt to one side of the raod or the other, cant remember which way, and the opposite when I get back into the throttle. I would like to have 4.10 though.