Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ISX

Putting back together the HX35

9 posts in this topic

I will have to make a movie of taking it apart as well. I don't hear much as far as tips/tricks for turbos so I am wondering if anyone has any input on it. Things I did wrong, could do different, etc.. It's 20 min long though (I didn't edit it) and I don't plan on watching it :lol: I started the upload this morning and just went to work, so now I will just post it up for anyone who wants to see. I would like to get better shots of some things as well. There is also one thing about that PITA snap ring for the compressor housing that I learned a trick to. I will just have to video tape that as well. So for now, here is what I got:

You'll have to post up that trick about the snap-ring, I took my compressor housing off in the fall and cleaned it all up so I could actually hear the turbo whistle and it took me forever to get that snap-ring back on.

when you removed the turbo from the truck, did your exhaust elbow have a v-band connection? That's one thing I wished my 01's turbo had, rather than the bolt-on flange. I know if I take them loose to install an exh. brake (RamBrake) that I'll have to pull the entire turbo off and apart, so I can drill out the broken bolts that will surely break..

Yeah I got the V-band. IIRC, it had a little adapter pipe that converted to the flange but I took it off.

don't worry, your secret is safe :wink:. would copper grease work as anti seize? can u reuse the flange gasket?does anyone have the torque specs?

Not sure on the copper grease, I am not the anti seize expert :lol: Found the torque specs http://www.holset.co.uk/partsservice/service/HX_Service_Data_Sheet.pdf This is the service manual for the HX35 /downloads.php?do=file&id=10">http://forum.mopar1973man.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=10 Turbo shaft nut is 133 in. lb. if you got the 6 point nut and 124 in. lb if you got the 12 point nut. The 4 bolts that hold the exhaust housing to the rest of the turbo (where those half moon things are) are 230 in. lb. The wastegate cover bolts are 220 in. lb.

1 person likes this

when you removed the turbo from the truck, did your exhaust elbow have a v-band connection? That's one thing I wished my 01's turbo had, rather than the bolt-on flange. I know if I take them loose to install an exh. brake (RamBrake) that I'll have to pull the entire turbo off and apart, so I can drill out the broken bolts that will surely break..

at least i am lucky some times. I have removed mine twice without breakage. once 5 years ago to intstall my 4" ehaust and exhaust housing and once 2 months ago to install my exhaust brake. they just came right out with very little effort. :hyper:
1 person likes this

Heres how to take it apart. Remember, penetrating oil is your friend..

1 person likes this

ISX: "I use... whatever these are..."

:lmao:

and FTR, I use Never Seez® High Temperature Stainless Nuclear Cert. Anti-Seize.

Good to 2400*F