• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Putting back together the HX35

I will have to make a movie of taking it apart as well. I don't hear much as far as tips/tricks for turbos so I am wondering if anyone has any input on it. Things I did wrong, could do different, etc.. It's 20 min long though (I didn't edit it) and I don't plan on watching it :lol: I started the upload this morning and just went to work, so now I will just post it up for anyone who wants to see. I would like to get better shots of some things as well. There is also one thing about that PITA snap ring for the compressor housing that I learned a trick to. I will just have to video tape that as well. So for now, here is what I got:

when you removed the turbo from the truck, did your exhaust elbow have a v-band connection? That's one thing I wished my 01's turbo had, rather than the bolt-on flange. I know if I take them loose to install an exh. brake (RamBrake) that I'll have to pull the entire turbo off and apart, so I can drill out the broken bolts that will surely break..

Not sure on the copper grease, I am not the anti seize expert :lol: Found the torque specs http://www.holset.co.uk/partsservice/service/HX_Service_Data_Sheet.pdf This is the service manual for the HX35 /downloads.php?do=file&id=10">http://forum.mopar1973man.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=10 Turbo shaft nut is 133 in. lb. if you got the 6 point nut and 124 in. lb if you got the 12 point nut. The 4 bolts that hold the exhaust housing to the rest of the turbo (where those half moon things are) are 230 in. lb. The wastegate cover bolts are 220 in. lb.

• Like 1

when you removed the turbo from the truck, did your exhaust elbow have a v-band connection? That's one thing I wished my 01's turbo had, rather than the bolt-on flange. I know if I take them loose to install an exh. brake (RamBrake) that I'll have to pull the entire turbo off and apart, so I can drill out the broken bolts that will surely break..

at least i am lucky some times. I have removed mine twice without breakage. once 5 years ago to intstall my 4" ehaust and exhaust housing and once 2 months ago to install my exhaust brake. they just came right out with very little effort. :hyper:
  • Like 1