• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Since my tranny blew the torque convertor I am forced to do another total rebuild on it. My question to you guys is that people are saying that the second generation automatics 47RE's are only rated to pull up to 30,000 pounds, with a built transmission? It seems kind of low. Any thoughts??

• Owner

Last time I looked at the owners manual GCWR of 20,000# and Max Trailer weight ~13,000# is all the truck is rated for out of the factory... But on the other had you might want to talk to CajFlynn he happens to be the heavy weight puller here on the forum pulling so huge boats cross country with a automatic transmission...

Not sure if you mean pulling (sleds) or pulling trailers. I know guys who pull 18000 lbs of equipment ..... so thats like 26000-28000 lbs and no issues. Most have some degree of built tranny ...... but few have full build. Not sure what a full build could handle .............. but with a good build, including billet flexplate and shafts and internals .... and right line pressure and cooling ........ 30000 seems quite reasonable ?

I did kill my stock tranny. Have a goerend tranny now, and have moved cross country a couple times. Normal weight is around 15K so gross is roughly 23-24K. Slightly modded truck too and no issues. I actually already have just over 100K on the built tranny.

Since my tranny blew the torque convertor I am forced to do another total rebuild on it. My question to you guys is that people are saying that the second generation automatics 47RE's are only rated to pull up to 30,000 pounds, with a built transmission? It seems kind of low. Any thoughts??

Pulling 30k or grossing 30k?:shrug: pulling 30k you'll be grossing 38k+ anything over 26k GVW your into IFTA.

• 11 months later...

i have been told by DTT that basically to just tow with it, the trans i have will handle anything under the sun, you just need to use common sense with it.if its lugging or shifting lock it out, don't give it an excuse to burn up, powering up a hill in 4th will not affect it if it is built right.