• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Has anyone ever ran Prist for a antigel??? My truck gelled up over the last blizzard that we had here in souteast kansas and after 24 hours of letting it sit with some 911 in the tank it finally started. Just wondering if there is a better antigel out there or maybe even a fuel tank heater.

• Staff

Prist really only deals with water in the fuel, the Jet Fuel is already good for the cold temps (gel wise) without prist. Kerosene is nothing more than No 1 thats a little bit "drier" you can mix it in any ratio you want, just make sure you have a lubricity additive in the tank too. But if you can find No 1 thats the best. 50:50 below about 20* and 100% below about -10*F is a good general rule of thumb.

• Like 1

I would be asking around the fuel stations for where a pump is. They are kinda rare but one station always seems to have it. Like ours is at a truck stop around back, just a big tank with an old pump on it. But yeah it was $4.40 while diesel was $3.20. If you have to buy it at the store in a fancy container I am betting it would cost a fortune.

Well, I tried looking for the cloud and pour points of diesel fuel and kerosene but couldn't come up with anything. Generally the pour point is 5-25 degrees lower than the cloud point.

From what I can find, kerosene does not have a cloud or gel point, but only a freeze point. Therefore, it is like water. As for temps, Jet A (pure kerosene jet fuel) freezes around -50F.

As far as lube, I actually found the HFRR on kerosene at one time and it was 663 I think. Mikes chart shows ULSD is 636. So kerosene isn't exactly paint thinner, but it still needs 2 stroke added, since it is slightly worse than ULSD.

As for which bottle of power service, I thought the grey one wasn't even an antigel :shrug:

[*]Grey PS

[*]White PS

Most any antigel will work just fine, but no matter what you do to lower the cloud point, use 2 stroke oil! I haven't seen a single thing that lowers cloud point that doesn't also reduce lube, which is especially important in the winter when tolerances are tighter.

well the problem i ran into was I had a 1/2 bottle of the white PR and it still gelled up!!! So i was looking for a better anitgel. So i guess i will run kerosene now with a little more 2 stroke.:shrug:

How cold was it when it gelled up?

i dont know exactly but it happened when this most recent snow storm came thru and we had some really cold wind chills i think it was down around -10 or so over night.

Forgot you were right next to me :lol: Yeah that night was cold. Even so, my fuel starts to gel around -8F (or so it seemed, truck was bucking and was not happy). That is without any antigel, so I would think any power service would have dropped it down to at least -20. Worthless crap. I have red diesel in a jar outside a window and even on that night, it still won't gel up, and it's months old. Maybe Kansas uses less additives.