• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Should I change to BHAF? I just read a post that said K&N were junk. I bought the truck with it on there. Not a puller or racer just use it for work. I do pull loads ,GCVW about 35000. Just put fuel press. gauge on so empty I have 16#, and WOT better than 14#. Am looking to put more gauges on. I did go across the scale today with a load of wood that weighted GCVW 42100#, that was my truck & trailer. Hauled it down the road pretty good never cut the edge on and was up to 55 in about a mile. I M INPRESSED.

Here is a list of BHAF numbers from different mfgs.

BHAF numbers

NAPA # 2790

Fleet Guard # AH19002

John Deere # PMAH19037

Wix # 42790

AFE # 20-40044

Hastings AF 1012

Carquest # 87790

Caterpillar 3i 0005

Fram CA 6818

It is your call about using a BHAF, I am sure that everyone has an opinion about them.

• Like 1

• Owner

I've got the BHAF and pull at 30' travel trailer with a GCWR of 15,020#... (Kind of small compared to you) But the BHAF can and will last up to 100K miles without any maintenance done to it... My last filter ran 130K miles and 7 years and the filter minder never moved. Yes I've check my filter minder on a regular basis and it works fine but the filter just doesn't plug up very fast..

Should I change to BHAF? I just read a post that said K&N were junk. I bought the truck with it on there. Not a puller or racer just use it for work. I do pull loads ,GCVW about 35000. Just put fuel press. gauge on so empty I have 16#, and WOT better than 14#. Am looking to put more gauges on. I did go across the scale today with a load of wood that weighted GCVW 42100#, that was my truck & trailer. Hauled it down the road pretty good never cut the edge on and was up to 55 in about a mile. I M INPRESSED.

I was just wondering if one was better than the other. I clean mine more than I change oil. LOL

• Owner

Never have to clean a BHAF...

Just hook it up and use it... K&N and other washable filters I'm not impressed with. Like you said you clean it often. Well the problem is how you clean it because if you wash it the wrong way you will deposit the dirt on the other side so when you fire up the truck you take the risk of sucking it into the engine. Also hold up the K&N filter to the sunlight and count the pin holes. Every pin hole is a entrance for dirt to travel in on. Then all these typical require some sort of oil well most people over oil then and end up with oil all over the turbo compressor and in the intercooler.

With a dry filter (BHAF) you'll find dust fall off by itself so no need to wash or mantain it...

Posted Image

Yeah... In my area of Idaho the only paved road is the highway (US95) everything else is DIRT!

• Like 1

So with only dirt roads out there, or at least the majority of them, you've been able to keep a good air filter for a few years. That's pretty good, I think I'm gonna go with one as well. Altough I don't like the setup it's in.

I'd say stick with the K&N. Not that its better - just I don't think you will notice until you get 500 HP etc. However - you could probably sell your K&N used ...... and have the funds for a NEW BHAF ...... and less cleaning :):thumb1:

I'd say stick with the K&N. Not that its better - just I don't think you will notice until you get 500 HP etc. However - you could probably sell your K&N used ...... and have the funds for a NEW BHAF ...... and less cleaning :):thumb1:

I'd like to get one because of maintenance reasons. My truck came with an AEM filter of some sort, Don't know how efficient they are but, It's one of the cleaning ones you have to clean every so often. My filter minder I believe is inoperative, and need to get a new one as I have no clue when I need to clean the filter. The BHAF just seems like it's better, and hope to see even a small difference in performance. I think the one I have on there now has a small restriction. I took it off and ran it like that for a day and noticed a difference, and also noticed the turbo was louder, not that it matters. :lol::)

I'd like to get one because of maintenance reasons. :lol::)

Yeah thats what I mean. If you have something like this ... http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/kn/FIPK.htm it retails for around $200 You could probably sell it used for $90 + shipping (cleaned up). Then you can get yourself a BHAF + outerwears (NEW) for around same price. I wouldn't expect too much gain ....... I didn't notice any power difference, but the turbo spooled a little better perhaps. Maintenance would be key reason. If you want to hear your turbo more - take out the silencer ring. :thumb1:

I'll have to find out exactly which Air Filter it is by AEM. I seen the catalog at a store I went to and I think it was called The Predator, or something of that nature, can't remember exactly what but, when I find out I will probably post it for sale. I don't have a camera so, I can't post any pictures of it.