• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I usually get around 11 towing it seems. I don't go slow, as discussed elsewhere, but I don't rip it at 80mph either. weight on the trailer doesn't seem to matter. I get the same mpg with a pair of E250s as I do with a single Mustang if I'm running similar terrain and speeds. within 1 mpg at any rate. Even my empty trailer is enough to get me in my 'towing' mileage, it's about 4600# empty.

Posted Image

c 1986 My half ton (ex got it, minus towing equipment) GMC, 305, auto, originally 3.07 gears. Ex's brother changed the ring & pinnion as far as we could go with that center section... can't recall but 3.55 or so I think. It towed much better (though even with a oversized flex fan it built heat on the grades). Interestingly, the mpg improved with the gear change... upshifted sooner.

Moritz, steel stock trailer was later sold to someone who works with my brother. Heavier than a brick outhouse. Damn near bullet proof.

Posted Image

c 1989 My Scamper Camper, residence post divorce. My 79 Chevy C30, Camper Special, built 454, auto, 3.73... pass anything on the road but a gas station. 11 mpg loaded or empty. Enough power to haul that camper to 100 & beyond.

Posted Image

C30 & Moritz trailer loaded for our Rendezvous trip. Hand built wagon in the back of the truck. New body panels on the truck... post cab-off restoration.

That's a light load! What kind of trailer do you want?

--- Update to the previous post...

I don't have a suitable trailer. I hired a friend (owner / operator) with his cab over & his bosses low bed to have my JD410 (14,000# according to the book) moved to the house when I bought it.

I found out the hard way, never trust what the book says equipment weighs! The bucket that I normally run on my backhoe is a 39" wide bucket it weighs almost 1k itself! Add that to the machine plus the full fuel tank, hydraulic tank it adds up pretty dang quick!

• Like 1

I never thought about it. The front bucket has been enlarged & reinforced with plates welded on. The hoe bucket has been repaired & reinforced. No telling what weight that added (if it was ever right). Tires, the front ballast weight... a lot of things could add to the total. I'm retired & the machine seldom leaves our property. If I needed to, a local contractor would move it on his trailer.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the homemade firewood hauler with the cop wheels. :thumb1: Got theose on my car trailer as well. How did he get that boat on top of the truck? I know it isnt but looks like it is just sitting on the topper. I gotta find some of my pics. Not anything cool, just lots of miles with the same trailers.

My '96 bringing my '01 home, last summer. I sure miss Ol' Blue. It was 10x the truck that the 24V is..

Posted Image

What size axles are on that trailer? My car hauler only has 3500lb axles, and my 01 weighs in around 6500. Looking to upgrade the axle on my hauler to 5200lbers.

Wow, those are light. I'm 8500 with me, full tank, toolbox and spare tires. 13sp and duals/19.5s add up! I'll be close to 9k when I get four wheel drive back. Someday I'll get the dead spare off the broken winch under the truck and put the trailer spare on the trailer, thatll help curb weight. Maybe move the 100+ of straps and chains to the trailer someday too...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What size axles are on that trailer? My car hauler only has 3500lb axles, and my 01 weighs in around 6500. Looking to upgrade the axle on my hauler to 5200lbers.

My 01 QCSB weighed in at 7760 at the dump, empty...:shrug:

I think they're 5200s on the trailer.

Well, I thought about this and verified.. 3500s :nono:

Here's my overloaded 24' "business in a box" Trailer grosses out just under 9100 lbs. Yeah, a tad over rate.:duh: I'm looking at picking up a new CAR-MATE 34' gooseneck for $11,5k..

post-10339-138698178906_thumb.jpg

1500sqft of sod. 2500 lb per skid.

post-10339-138698178914_thumb.jpg

The results of the above:

Posted Image

Posted Image

what it was before the sod:

Posted Image

Buddy of mine needed his house trailer moved! It was a 12'x60'! So I hitched up to her, hooked safety chains, rain an extension cord for my s,t,t lights, and spent $50 for permits in Arkansas and Mississippi! And off we went! It was a really easy pull for ole betsy! The trailer made it to its new resting spot and my good friend is extremely happy!

post-10918-138698178936_thumb.jpg

One of my favorites although it wasn't pulling a trailer but I did have a payload :D (The old dude leaning on the truck is NOT me btw)

Posted Image

Will you be my friend?