• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tapping Exhaust Manifold

Some taps are within just a few thousandths between metric and standard so if you matched them up they will be basically the same. I am not sure if 1/8" NPT would be the same as 12x1.75, guessing not because 12mm is nearly 1/2" which is considerably larger than the 0.343" drill you use for 1/8" NPT. Either way it still wouldn't work because NPT is tapered so that the threads on the probe will tighten down once it gets far enough on the taper, otherwise it would just bottom out. If you still think it will work, the drill for your metric tap is 13/32". I was wrong on the Q drill bit, there is a lot of blown around info on the net. Here's the right guide. http://www.physics.ncsu.edu/pearl/Tap_Drill_Chart.html

I was reading a bit about drilling the manifold... saw an idea which I thought was very smart... to put a couple of strong magnets next to the drill... to suck shavings away from the hole.I tend to get carried away with tapping... I read to only tap 2-3 threads so threads would be tight without protruding into the manifold. {Something (dumb) I could see myself doing!}