• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tires: Federal Couragia MTs - review

Rogan

So, I just bought some of these uncommon tires.. Thought I'd share some info on them. Review of the Federal Couragia M/T Tires The Federal Couragia MT tires are a good tire for the money if you are in the market for a semi aggressive tread design that offers above average traction in various conditions offroad will still maintaining a mostly quiet ride on the paved roads. The tread design offers good mud traction with the a combination of large, stepped and siped lugs spaced out by voids large enough to assist with the self cleaning of mud and debris. Aired down the 3-ply sidewalls flex good. Incorporated into the sidewalls are protected by a extra rubber compound on across it's sidewalls. In snow and sand this tire does a little better than average when compare to other mud terrain tires. Highway manners are better than expected from a mud tire with less than moderate noise level and with the assistance of sipes in the lugs has better traction on wet or icy roads than other MT tires without the benefits of sipes. Tread life is better than average. Cost is on the low side of mud terrain tires. Features Large aggressive shoulder lugs. Strong protection block on upper shoulder for exceptional bruise, impact, cut resistance and protection from other off-road hazards Uniquely designed incremental block edge improves clearance of dirt and sand for constant performance Uniquely designed radius of sub-grooves enhances off-road performance SRG (Sloped Radius Gradient) block design increases block stiffness, enhances performance, and delivers serious off-road traction Bar at bottom of groove clears mud and rock particles and provide ultimate off-road traction Deep shoulder lugs and sophisticated central blocks fulfill the most demanding requirements of off-road grip and steering control when used for on-road applications Specially formulated advanced tread compound resists cuts, chips and abrasions for long life and even wear Size availability:

[U][B]Size             P.R.  LI/SS        Dia."    Sect."   Rim     RimSize     TreadW  TreadD Wt.KG    PSI    Max Load lbs.[/B][/U]LT235/75R15      6     104/101Q     28.6     8.9      6.5     6~7         6.6     19     16.4     50     1985/1820     OWLLT265/75R16¥     8     119/116Q     31.5     10.1     7.5     7~8         7.5     19     15       65     3000/2755     OWLLT285/75R16¥     8     122/119Q     32.6     11.0     8.0     7.5~8.5     8.1     19     15       65     3305/ 3000    OWL30*9.50R15LT     6     104Q         29.5     9.8      7.5     7~8         7.5     19     17.3     50     1985          OWL31*10.5R15LT     6     109R         30.6     10.5     8.5     7~9         7.8     19     19.1     50     2270          OWL33*12.50R15LT▼   6     108Q         32.5     12.7     10.0    9.5~10.5    9.7     19     21.9     35     2205          OWL205/80R16C§      8     110/108Q     28.6     8.2      6.0     5.5~6.5      6.2    19     16.3     65     2337/2205     OWL33*13.50R15LT▼   6     104Q         32.8     11.5     10.0    9.5~10.5    13.2    18.9     N/A    80     2205          OWL35*12.50R20LT   10     121Q         34.8     12.5     10.0    8~11         8.3    21     32.7     65     2600          BSWLT235/85R16     10     120/116Q     31.4     9.0       6.5    6~7         6.6     19     21.0     80     3086/2778     OBL
§ = 2 ply sidewall ¥ = 3 ply sidewall ▼ = Currently under development

Looks like they got most common sizes available for older vehicles but almost everything now is 17 and 18 inch wheels and there is nothing offered in the most common production 17-18 inch wheels on most pickups now. Any pictures or links to what they look like?

I do have pictures, actually.

I understand the larger wheel diameters not being covered. I, personally, don't have any of the larger wheel sizes, so I tend to overlook that, sorry. :shrug:

BTW, my price was $577 delivered, for a set. It took them 2 days to get here. I ordered from a place called www.tiresavings.com. In a quick research session, this place has poor reviews. I sent them an email, and got a response from a gentleman named Barry. Within a few email exchanges (to which he was quick to respond), I ordered the tires last Thursday evening. This past Tuesday morning, they were dropped off in my driveway by UPS.

Personally, I can say that the 235/85s, although quite an aggressive tread pattern, have very little road howl. I have them currently aired to 60psi, but will soon bump that to 75-80psi, once I start hauling the trailer regularly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not arguing..........just saying here. I'm really, truly amazed how folks will skimp on tires because of price.....initially. But then will skimp again.....often with the same brand.........when prior "el-cheapo" tires, the first time, failed to go 25,000 mile!!!!!!:doh::doh:Wouldn't said folks be better off in the "long run" if they invested in "higher quality" tires initially and have them go 60, 70, 80,000 miles vs. 20-25,000 miles?????? It truly makes no "effing" sense in my world!!!!!:cookoo::cookoo::cool:

• Staff

Wouldn't said folks be better off in the "long run" if they invested in "higher quality" tires initially and have them go 60, 70, 80,000 miles vs. 20-25,000 miles?????? It truly makes no "effing" sense in my world!!!!!:cookoo::cookoo::cool:

I can't get $$$ tires to go even 50K miles :banghead:

I can't get $$$ tires to go even 50K miles :banghead:

Are you serious??!!!!!:ahhh: I just "officially" turned 60,000 mile on my Cooper Discoverer ATR's in LT265/75 17E this weekend on my trip up and back to Black River Falls, WI. OEM's were replaced at 81,000 miles. I've got more than enough tread to go until this November or until "real" winter sets in here!!! That should put me 70-75,000 miles on the Coopers. I find that really hard to believe that you cannot get more mileage out of tires. I don't "baby" my tires as I tow very, very often. Not the huge weights many of y'all do, but 3-4,000lbs 3-4 times a week around suburbia/stop and go!!! As I've said before, I got 125,000 miles off the OEM stock Michelin M&S tires on my '99. Could've gone longer, but it was coming into winter!!!! On my 04.5, I got 81,000 miles on them before I bought the Coopers, as said above. I could've gone longer, but I had a flat on one of the tires(Michelins) and couldn't see the sense in fixing a tire that had 81,000 miles on it just to replace it before winter. JFYI, I don't run them until they're bald either!!!!!:nono::nono: So I don't know what y'all are doing to your tires that you don't get the mileage out of them I do!!!:shrug: I run 70psi in all 4 tires all the time......no matter the load.:cool:

• Staff

I refused to run the stockers, those were the worst tires I have ever ran (other than dry hwy miles.. acutally have a set for summer camping road trips, but summer only). My first set of 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's were done at 25K miles, 5/32 tread, and I took them off at 40K miles. The only reason I ran them after 25K miles was I did took the truck to Arizona for a 6 week school and they were fine for Az weather, but not for anything at home. My dad got 16K and 23K out of 2 sets of Toyo's in a row. I don't drive hard but I do tow, and tow on dirt roads nearly every time I hook up the camper, I am pretty sure that's why the tires don't last.

I refused to run the stockers, those were the worst tires I have ever ran (other than dry hwy miles.. acutally have a set for summer camping road trips, but summer only). My first set of 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's were done at 25K miles, 5/32 tread, and I took them off at 40K miles. The only reason I ran them after 25K miles was I did took the truck to Arizona for a 6 week school and they were fine for Az weather, but not for anything at home. My dad got 16K and 23K out of 2 sets of Toyo's in a row. I don't drive hard but I do tow, and tow on dirt roads nearly every time I hook up the camper, I am pretty sure that's why the tires don't last.

I know that Mike runs Cooper STT mud tires in the winter, and he likes them. So that would tell me that you can get Cooper tires in Idaho. I would recommend them to you. I love my ATR's. Good all around tire. Don't do mud with them though.............they suck in mud..........worse than the stockers. I guess I should preface that I've never been "hard" on tires since I've been driving..........unless I've had a dedicated set of "junk" tires that I could beat up. However, I'm getting too old and lazy to replace/change out tires that often, so now, I drive like a granny and get maximum tire life!!!!!!!:smart:

• Staff

I drive as soft as I can for tire life, but I think its all the torque and dirt. The 255/80/17 BFG KM2's I have now should be good for 20-25K miles, and thats with 5 of them. I have looked at cooper, but they don't offer a size I want to run. Thou I am considering 275/70/17's if I am not happy in the end with the KM2's. I really with the M55 came in a 255/80/17.

I drive as soft as I can for tire life, but I think its all the torque and dirt. The 255/80/17 BFG KM2's I have now should be good for 20-25K miles, and thats with 5 of them. I have looked at cooper, but they don't offer a size I want to run. Thou I am considering 275/70/17's if I am not happy in the end with the KM2's. I really with the M55 came in a 255/80/17.

Believe me, I run a lot of my yearly mileage on gravel roads. Some around here, and most in North Dakota and in Missouri. Tire life is not a problem for me, but I do drive like a senior citizen!!!!:doh: I saw a post over on the TDR about the M55's possibly being made in more 17" sizes. That'd be great, because everyone that I've known that's run the Toyo OC AT's hates them............but the few that've run the Toyo M-55's love them.

How often do you guys rotate tires? I have never owned a vehicle long enough to need new tires, or really put very many miles on tires. From what I have read on other forums rotating tires is one of the main things in tire wear is that true? Rotating every 3-5k will help tires last longer? Just curious because I will be looking for a new set of tires and rims in the next few months, and don't want to end up with 25k tires.:shrug:

dorkweed, I totally get what you're saying:

argue: have an argument about something

debate: discuss the pros and cons of an issue

I call it a debate :)

I'm not scared to buy higher-priced tires. The OE Michelins are definitely high mileage. They wear like iron. My '96 went 105k mi before the tires were truly "dead". And that's pulling a horse trailer, often, but mostly open road. In the wet, or grass, or anything "non-pavement", they.. sucked. In my yard, after a light rain, they required I engage the 4wd just to get out of the grass without spinning.

I sold Hankook Dynapro RT03s (not cheap) to give the Federals a shot in the dark. Reviews and personal experiences from others seems to say they are really pleased with these tires, on and off road, and they wear fairly well. So if I get 50K out of them, GREAT. That means 100K mi would cost me 230$ a piece. I don't foresee me getting 100K mi out of a "high dollar" MT, using it the way I use it. Again, though, that's speculative.

If I only get 20K out of these, then I know a 2nd set will not be warranted.

I'm just not a firm, hard-core backer of the "pay more - get more" theory. It's often true, but not always. I could have went out last year and paid $10-15k for a really clean 2001 CTD 6 speed truck. But instead, I paid $2000 for one that wouldn't run.

$37 later, it was running, and I've been driving it ever since. I'm getting the same operation out of the $2k truck as I would from the $15k truck, but I saved a ton of cash in doing so. Who's to say it won't last as long as the higher-priced one? It may, it may not. But I've got $13k in my pocket to fix the things that go wrong in the meantime. I haven't had to fix anything else of large expense, other than the usual suspects (tie rod ends, track bar, ball joints).

Only time will tell with these tires, and I'll give it a go. If they totally suck, then I'll know to go with another tire next time.

Outside the box, guys :)

@jmono - I rotate every 3-4K during the towing season, and 5-7k during off-season.