• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ideas

ISX

I want to do more testing on my truck to see how things work. I did the valve thing so we know where they are at at both TDC's but that is one of the many things we don't know about these trucks. Another thing I want to do is measure how long the pump is pushing fuel. It won't be perfectly accurate since I have to do it unpressurized so part of the fuel that is under the pop pressure will not make it out the injector but it should give us a rough idea. I know there are a hundred other interesting things about our trucks that would be neat to know but I wondered if you guys had any specifics. Maybe even something we already know but another way of proving it. It can be anything from a mechanical part, an electrical part, even just a bolt. I am planning on getting pics of every single connector on the truck for reference as well. I gotta get my truck done by this week so then I will finally be able to finish some other things I wanted to do, like making a very fancy thing showing where the valves and pistons are and the stroke they are on all based upon 0-720* rotation (since it takes that much to do all 4 strokes per piston). Don't hold back any ideas!

There you go........thinking again!!!!!!:doh::lmao2: You do know that fuel delivery varies according to many variables.......right????? You've got a 1st gen so everything is mechanical..........you may be able to do it. I don't have the foggiest how you would even begin on a 2nd or 3rd gen truck!!!!:stuned:I would think the guys that write the software for programmers could figure this stuff out rather easily. Marco, the Smarty guy, is a miracle worker. I'm sure he know a lot more than he programs into the Smarty stuff. Mike, am I wrong here???? You're the 'puter guy............what does it take to cipher all the algorhythms in a fueling program on our trucks???:smart::duh:

• Owner

Mike, am I wrong here???? You're the 'puter guy............what does it take to cipher all the algorhythms in a fueling program on our trucks???:smart::duh:

Actually there was a guy on CF.com that was capable of tapping into the Cummins ECM using a homemade data cable to Serial Port on a laptop and using a program called ROMRaider (produced for Subaru PCM's) he managed to tap into the ECM and re-write anything he wished. RomRaider Site - http://www.romraider.com/ Now on the Tech front... EFI Live is a PC program designed for Fords and Chevy diesel trucks. Would you believe that EFI Live is producing software for the 3rd Gen CR trucks and you guys will be able to plug in any kind of tune you want then... 2nd Gen's I heard are not being considered... :cry:

Yeah I am not looking for the computer related crap, obviously I can't even do anything with it since I have a 12V. All it takes is a nerd to figure all these computerized trucks out, and since Mike hasn't figured the VP44 out, it must not be figure-out-able. I know how the fuel delivery works. Takes a bit of skill but I can figure it out. The problem is that the 215 pump retards timing after 13mm of rack travel, so that could mess with things, but I could figure that out as well.

• Owner

and since Mike hasn't figured the VP44 out, it must not be figure-out-able.

Feel the love...:duh: There is lots of things to discuss and learn about... I'm more than willing to dive in and hold the position for all the electrical of these trucks. I guess I dig in my books and start getting information together.

Feel the love...:duh: There is lots of things to discuss and learn about... I'm more than willing to dive in and hold the position for all the electrical of these trucks. I guess I dig in my books and start getting information together.

I don't know how you just took that. I meant nobody knows the electrical side of the VP44. Like how it is programmed. We don't even know what it does with timing or what it bases it on. You can guess based on engine knock but to me that's like guessing how much compression it has based on how it starts in the cold. In other words, it's not accurate. We need numbers. Seeing as how we don't have numbers after all this time, then we have nothing and probably will have nothing in another 10 years unless someone figures out how to decode them, and shares the info. So back to my original thing lol, do you guys have some real ideas that I can actually use rather than these NASA minded ideas :doh: I'm not a miracle worker :lol:

That will be an interesting test for sure, especially considering there won't be any pressure. I think your gonna spill some diesel :-) EFILive is very near to being released for the 06-07 Dodge's.

Would the 04.5 & 05's be that much different??? I know there were some minor changes to the programming, but isn't all the hardware the essentially the same??!! That is unless I missed that EFILive is available for the 04.5 and 05's!!!:shrug:

• Staff

The overall tuning is identical (except the 10 ft/lbs lower rating in 04.5), the hardware is identical (minus APPS/lift pump), but the wiring and ECM are completely different. The ECM language is the biggest difference, so it will be a completely different tune. 06-07 is the first in production, then 6.7, then 03-05.