• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

5 OBDII Error Codes! Won't start. Thoughts?

My 1998 Dodge RAM 2500 Truck just stopped dead in the street and won't even try and start. IT has a 5.9 L inline 6 cylinder, 24 valve Cummins diesel engine. I hooked up an OBD II and got the following error codes listed below. The forum here has testing procedures but the first requires the engine be running (it won't start) and the other require a DRBIII scan tool (expensive). I'm just trying to get this running again without major expense. Any suggestions on where to start without the DRBIII? I can check wiring as indicated. Do the combined codes point to a specific item that needs replacing (the fuel injection pump?) with certainty? One thing I looked as said erasing the codes with the OBDII may allow it to start and run. I'm hesitant to do this since it appears some onter information may need to be read by the DRBIII if I have to take this to a shop. Any thoughts or recommendations??P0121 - Accelerator Position Sensor Volts Do Not Agree With Idle Validation Signal P0234 - Turbo Boost Limit Exceeded. Problem detected in turbocharger wastegate. P0253 - Fuel Injection Pump Fuel Valve Open Circuit. Problem sensed with fuel circuit internal to fuel injection pump. P1688 - Internal Fuel Injection Pump Controller Failure. Internal problem within the fuel injection pump. Low power, engine derated, or engine stops.P1689 - No Communication Between ECM and Injection Pump Module. Data link circuit failure between ECM and fuel injection pump. Low power, engine derated, or engine stops.Thanks! JimRAM :hyper:

First off, the APPS may need to be reset. So try that first. Second, check all wiring, connections, and grounds for the injection pump, and ECM, especially the ground under the battery on the drivers side. It is ok to erase all the codes with an OBDII, because if you do get it read by a DRBIII the codes will be stored when you get it started again. Just erasing the codes may get it to start. You may need a cam shaft sensor or a crankshaft sensor. You don't need to worry about the 0234, that just means that you got a bit more boost pressure. Since you have the 0253, you may need a new injection pump. Try these other as a start and see if you can get your truck to sart. Others will chime in.

• Owner

P0253,1688,1689 - Injection pump is dead and requires replacement. P0121 - you could try a re-calbration of the APPS but if the code returns then replacement is required. P0234 - Wastegate on the turbo is frozen or stuck closed. This is not a MAP sensor issue! As for the injection pump this is what has failed and why it would start but the cause of the failure is because the lift pump is most likely failed behind it. If the fuel pressure falls below 10 PSI its a instant fail at anytime. This is why is so important to have a fuel pressure gauge in the cab. Because once the fuel pressure disappear or gets low it like running the engine with low oil pressure and the injection pump starts to wear quickly and take on damage.

Your Vp44 is dead like Mike pointed out and as far as the last question goes he was asking you if you have an adjustable boost elbow installed on your turbo to increase boost pressure. If you do it can trip a code if you don't have a boost fooler or some kind of electronic power adder like an edge or others installed to fool the computer.

• Like 1

Any easy way to check if VP44 is working? How about a check for the lift pump? Maybe crack a line open a little? :broke:

--- Update to the previous post...

stodg73 said "First off, the APPS may need to be reset. So try that first." How do I reset this?

Any easy way to check if VP44 is working? How about a check for the lift pump? Maybe crack a line open a little? :broke:

--- Update to the previous post...

stodg73 said "First off, the APPS may need to be reset. So try that first." How do I reset this?

Your VP44 is dead and needs to be replaced period with the problem and codes you have. You will also need to put a new lift pump and fuel pressure gauge on with it out of neccesity.

To reset the apps unhook both batteries for a few minutes then reconnect them.

Turn key on but do not start.

push accellerator pedal slowly and completely to the floor and slowly let up the pedal all the way

turn key off and its done.

• Like 1

• Owner

Like today I just changed another dead injection pump... It was no run no start condition with a P1688 code... There is no other way around it. Once the electronics fail the pump is brain dead and will not pump a single PSI till its replaced... The only way to test a VP44 is to remove it and have it put on a $600,000 test bench and the bad part is it will fail instantly because of the P1688 because the electronics are burned up. I was going to shoot pictures of the job but my camera batteries were dead...:banghead: :doh::mad: Another thought... But thing is the Vp44 replacement just replaces the dead part but still nothing has be done to resolve the cause of the failure. No fuel pressure numbers (idle pressure and WOT pressure at highway speed). So the thing is you will end up replacing the injection pump but I would look for the cause of the failure which is 99% the lift pump and lack of fuel pressure gauge.

• Like 1

the apps takes about an hour. does not take alot of skill.get a timbo its real easy. the vp took me 4.5 hours with an extra set of hands. blue chip diesel has a very good set of instructions, probably some here too. read them over before you do the work. they make a good pump but it is quite pricey:spend:. some of the other guys here might be a better help with cheaper source. you just need to be careful when you do it, take your time, if you drop the little keyway into the front cover the job will be quite a bit more time consuming. it is explained very well in the instructions. you used to be able to down load them at his web site. the lift pump is a differant story. you dont want to go back with factory. you need to upgrade. there are many good systems out there, raptor, fass, air dog, etc. just depends on what you are after. i have an AD to install on mine as soon as i get home. dont know how long it s going to take. it does not appear to be that hard to install. you absolutely need a fuel pressure gauge. thats probably what killed your pump. little or no fuel pressure to lubricate or cool your vp. an average skill level is all you need. just follow the instructions and ther are plenty of people here willing to answer your questions if you have problems.

• Owner

Yeah the pump I just changed the other day was about 3.5 hour job for me. Basic hand tools needed for the job the only special tool that is nice ot have is the gear puller. You can a steering wheel puller too but the actual VP44 gear puller is much smaller and easier to work with. The only other odd tool is a set of torx bolts on the rear bracket you got to swap out. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/vp44-replace/vp44-replace.htm Just for the sake of more information on your errors of your current VP44... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/vp44-replace/vp44-error.htm Apps sensor is really easy job. Once again basic hand tools and a about half an hour... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/apps/timbo-install.htm As for the fuel pressure gauge here is a bit of basic information. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/gauges/gauges.htm

• 2 years later...
hey guys I hope you can help, I... am in the wounded warrior currently at home recovering also my son is active marine at 19 in va. this weekend he was able to come home for a 96'r and right after he filled up his trk and went to tell my parents bye, his truk cut off it hits with a little shot of either, we bleed the filter it had a little air,and checked the pressure before the filter and at the injector pump at both it was right at 15 lbs the truck barely runs but not every time. I checked the codes with a borrowed reader it had codes 0251 fuel quantity solenoid open or short circuit, ecm has detected a open or excessive current on the fuel circuit solenoid...code 0253 fuel quantity solenoid short to ground ecm detected a short to ground condition on the fuel quantity solenoid circuit...0252 fuel quantity solenoid circuit malfuncition..ecm has detected an excessive current condition on the fuel quantity solenoid...1688 fuel injector pump controller failure condition .. ecm has detected an internal failure of the fuel injector pump module .. so if you guys could please help im not able to do much but my dad , ( who is also a 3 year VET of Vietnam ) we think we can fix it we both cme from a pretty mechanical back ground , old school thanks so much oh almost forgot 2000 dodge ram 5.9 cummins 5 speed

• Owner

hey guys I hope you can help, I... am in the wounded warrior currently at home recovering also my son is active marine at 19 in va. this weekend he was able to come home for a 96'r and right after he filled up his trk and went to tell my parents bye, his truk cut off it hits with a little shot of either, we bleed the filter it had a little air,and checked the pressure before the filter and at the injector pump at both it was right at 15 lbs the truck barely runs but not every time. I checked the codes with a borrowed reader it had codes 0251 fuel quantity solenoid open or short circuit, ecm has detected a open or excessive current on the fuel circuit solenoid... http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/169-p0251-vp44-pump-fuel-valve-feedback-circuit code 0253 fuel quantity solenoid short to ground ecm detected a short to ground condition on the fuel quantity solenoid circuit... http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/171-p0253-fuel-injection-pump-fuel-valve-open-circuit 0252 fuel quantity solenoid circuit malfuncition..ecm has detected an excessive current condition on the fuel quantity solenoid... http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/170-p0252-fuel-valve-signal-missing 1688 fuel injector pump controller failure condition .. ecm has detected an internal failure of the fuel injector pump module .. http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/227-p1688-internal-fuel-injection-pump-failure so if you guys could please help im not able to do much but my dad , ( who is also a 3 year VET of Vietnam ) we think we can fix it we both cme from a pretty mechanical back ground , old school thanks so much oh almost forgot 2000 dodge ram 5.9 cummins 5 speed

...add the links for code definitions...

You have the same dead VP code that JimRam has so guess what....... Dig deep.:broke:

I hate to say it but MnTom is right with the number of injection pump codes and P1688 she is a goner... :spend:

• Owner

so your saying I need a new injector pump or my son does ? what does that usually run

Here is Vulcan Performance one of the site vendors. http://www.vulcanperformance.com/Bosch-VP44-p/vp44.htm Here is DAP (Diesel Auto Power) another site vendor. http://www.dieselautopower.com/product_p/sovp44.htm Both come with new electronics and full rebuilt unit. With a good warranty and good price to boot!

Install is not difficult at all. Mike has a good article on replacement http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/25-fuel-system/126-bosch-vp44-injection-pump-replacement. Blue Chip Diesel has one also http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/vp44_install.html. They are both good articles and will walk you right thru it.