• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Big trouble costing me big money.....

Hello everyone, im new in this diesel world, as well on this forum, im having trouble with my 01 3500 dodge 24 valves cummins 4x4 dually, im getting only 14 mpg on highway, the only error codes that im getting is the 122 (apps low voltage), could the apps be the reason of mi really low mpg's?, cause im getting a timbo's apps next week.Thank you guysGreetings from Mexico

• Owner

Welcome to the site... :cool: As for the APPS sensor no it not going to degrade it that much... But you could try a APPS reset and see if that helps. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/apps/apps.htm (Bottom of the page) Thing is I would help to fill out your signature with all the toys and mods on your truck and what year... But if you fuel pressure is low and your injection pump is getting weak then you will see poor MPG's. any fuel pressure below 10 PSI at anytime is a FAIL period. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/fuel-pressure/fuel-pressure.htm

• Like 1

Just a question... How did you get this error code? Did you use the key trick or did you scan the codes with a code reader? My truck quit on me... no codes by the key but the code reader had 4 codes. I also have an 01 with 24V Cummins... these trucks are prome to fuel pump "lift pump" failure. What Dodge/Cummins thought was acceptable fuel pressure when these trucks were designed, has proven to be inadequate. Dodge's answer is an intank lift pump which is only marginably better & still prone to failure (and harder to service since it is in the tank). The best set up is an aftermarket fuel pump mounted on the frame rail, in front of the tank. The VP44 injection pump has proved to be fragile & susceptable to low fuel pressure. Since this is so critical, knowledgeable Cummins owners add guages especially Fuel Pressure. It really would help to know more about your truck. Most of us put this information in the signature line.

• Like 1

Welcome to the site... :cool:

As for the APPS sensor no it not going to degrade it that much... But you could try a APPS reset and see if that helps.

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/apps/apps.htm

(Bottom of the page)

Thing is I would help to fill out your signature with all the toys and mods on your truck and what year... But if you fuel pressure is low and your injection pump is getting weak then you will see poor MPG's. any fuel pressure below 10 PSI at anytime is a FAIL period.

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/fuel-pressure/fuel-pressure.htm

Thank you guys for the replies, ok first of all i'm gonna reset the apps and check the fuel pressure, i'll keep you posted with the results.

As you can see in my signature, i don't have any mods in mi truck, and i'm trying to discover what kind of fuel pump my truck has, so if you guys have some information on how to know what kind of fuel pump i have, it would be big help.

Thanks for the help and the tolerance guys, i'm new in this diesel world.

--- Update to the previous post...

Just a question... How did you get this error code? Did you use the key trick or did you scan the codes with a code reader? My truck quit on me... no codes by the key but the code reader had 4 codes.

I also have an 01 with 24V Cummins... these trucks are prome to fuel pump "lift pump" failure. What Dodge/Cummins thought was acceptable fuel pressure when these trucks were designed, has proven to be inadequate. Dodge's answer is an intank lift pump which is only marginably better & still prone to failure (and harder to service since it is in the tank). The best set up is an aftermarket fuel pump mounted on the frame rail, in front of the tank.

The VP44 injection pump has proved to be fragile & susceptable to low fuel pressure. Since this is so critical, knowledgeable Cummins owners add guages especially Fuel Pressure.

It really would help to know more about your truck. Most of us put this information in the signature line.

Hi flagmanruss, i got those codes with a code reader (only the 122), and i'm gonna check the fuel pressure and try to discover what kind of fuel pump my truck has, as soon as i get those results (fuel pressure and fuel pump) i'll let you guys know.

Thank you

If your truck is all original, there will be a fist sized electric fuel pump on the driver's side under the fuel filter. Often when these pumps go bad, they get removed but the brackets must remain as the tapped holes go through into the oil. The dealer in tank retro-fit is the other option, because you say you are "all stock" I presume that you don't have an aftermarket under the truck on the frame.Since you got those codes with a code reader... I'm assuming that you waited for both computers to complete their cycle... that this is all you have for code information.

welcome to the site.if you are not sure if you can see the pump just bump your stater without starting the engine, leave the switch on and you should be able to here it running under the hood. it will run for 15 to 20 seconds. if you cant hear it under the hood then listen under the truck near the fuel tank and see if you can here it there. i just replaced my in tank pump with an Air Dog. the intank pump is harder to hear than the engine mounted oe. the intank pump does not supply enogh pressure for the vp44.i am also thinking you have a 4:10 rear end which is not going to help your milage. definately check the other items first and see where you are on fuel supply. replacing pumps can get pricey also.

• Like 1

I don't have duals (more ground friction) but I have 4:10 gears... I am running 17 mpgs most of the time. Under ideal conditions I can get high 18's, maybe even 19.1 Running empty, All stock. I'm hoping my modifications this year will improve the power towing & mpgs both loaded & empty. The tire tread type has an effect on the mpgs as well. I'm still running a "all season" tire which I'd call a highway tire... Michelin LTX.

Tunklo,I think the best bang for the buck after all the research I've done is the Air Dog Raptor. I just installed it last week. I've had my truck 3 years & I'm still nursing a weak VP44, it hasn't gotten any worse, just keep Biodiesel or Check out Michael's link on 2cycle oil. The problem is we can't run ULSD diesel in trucks that were designed to run LSDYep I agree, low MPG's is a sign that the VP44 is on it's way out! Just remember that anything 10 years old is going to need parts renewed, Ball joints, auto trans, steering, it's just being used for what it was intended. These are great trucks with million mile motors.Welcome,Dave

• Like 1

welcome to the site.

if you are not sure if you can see the pump just bump your stater without starting the engine, leave the switch on and you should be able to here it running under the hood. it will run for 15 to 20 seconds. if you cant hear it under the hood then listen under the truck near the fuel tank and see if you can here it there. i just replaced my in tank pump with an Air Dog. the intank pump is harder to hear than the engine mounted oe. the intank pump does not supply enogh pressure for the vp44.

i am also thinking you have a 4:10 rear end which is not going to help your milage. definately check the other items first and see where you are on fuel supply. replacing pumps can get pricey also.

thank's for the message, believe me i feel vry welcome by all of you guys, i just check the pump and as you said is an intank pump, it only sounds for a couple of seconds, so i'm gonna order next week my fuel presuure gauge.

Thanks for the info....

Remember to check the fuel pressure as you drive...

http://youtu.be/iRoZlLVVxiY

I just did the apps reset, but nothing happen, still have the same code, next week im getting timbo's apps and a fuel presurre gauge, it's there an specific fuel pressure gauge that you guys can recommend (i don't care about the looks, i only care about the perfomance and cost).

Thanks

A lot more bad news for me guys, it drop from 14 to 12 mpg on the city.:(

Tunklo,

I think the best bang for the buck after all the research I've done is the Air Dog Raptor. I just installed it last week. I've had my truck 3 years & I'm still nursing a weak VP44, it hasn't gotten any worse, just keep Biodiesel or Check out Michael's link on 2cycle oil. The problem is we can't run ULSD diesel in trucks that were designed to run LSD

Yep I agree, low MPG's is a sign that the VP44 is on it's way out! Just remember that anything 10 years old is going to need parts renewed, Ball joints, auto trans, steering, it's just being used for what it was intended. These are great trucks with million mile motors.

Welcome,

Dave

yep it's a vp44 my little brother use to work in a cummins manufaturer, he's the one that assure me it was the vp44, and my cousin (he is the one that sold me the truck) said that he change the fuel pump from atruck that had only 80 k on it.

Tunklo,

I think the best bang for the buck after all the research I've done is the Air Dog Raptor. I just installed it last week. I've had my truck 3 years & I'm still nursing a weak VP44, it hasn't gotten any worse, just keep Biodiesel or Check out Michael's link on 2cycle oil. The problem is we can't run ULSD diesel in trucks that were designed to run LSD

Yep I agree, low MPG's is a sign that the VP44 is on it's way out! Just remember that anything 10 years old is going to need parts renewed, Ball joints, auto trans, steering, it's just being used for what it was intended. These are great trucks with million mile motors.

Welcome,

Dave

Hi dave, can you tell (just in case that i need it) were can i get the air dog raptor?

Thanks

happy to hear you found your problem. no matter what pump you decide to install remember you either have to bypass your in tank pump with a draw straw or something similar or remove the in tank pump and install a new pick up in the basket. with the raptor you should probably go with the draw straw or something similar.

ok no instructions and no myths, im ready lmao, it looks like thats my problem, (bad vp44 or low pressure) so could this be a good fuel pump AirDog Raptor 100 GPH High Performance Fuel Pump with Built-In Adjustable Regulator Preset at 15-17 PSI for 1998.5-2002 Dodge 5.9L Cummins with In-Tank Fuel Pump, part number PFTR2SBD355,(for about 365 dlls) i didnt know how to upload an image thats why i only post the specifications.:banghead: this is the link http://www.parleysdieselperformance.com/products/airdog-raptor-100-gph-high-performance-fuel-pump-with-built-in-adjustable-regulator-preset-at-15-17-psi-for-1998-dot-5-2002-dodge-5-dot-9l-cummins-with-in-tank-fuel-pump Thanks again for all your help guys.

If you want I have an extra drawstraw that Ill send you for the cost of shipping. I ended up using a draw straw I on my truck when I installed my airdog 150 GB

ok no instructions and no myths, im ready lmao, it looks like thats my problem, (bad vp44 or low pressure) so could this be a good fuel pump AirDog Raptor 100 GPH High Performance Fuel Pump with Built-In Adjustable Regulator Preset at 15-17 PSI for 1998.5-2002 Dodge 5.9L Cummins with In-Tank Fuel Pump, part number PFTR2SBD355,(for about 365 dlls) i didnt know how to upload an image thats why i only post the specifications.:banghead: this is the link http://www.parleysdieselperformance.com/products/airdog-raptor-100-gph-high-performance-fuel-pump-with-built-in-adjustable-regulator-preset-at-15-17-psi-for-1998-dot-5-2002-dodge-5-dot-9l-cummins-with-in-tank-fuel-pump Thanks again for all your help guys.

• Like 1

The website you listed says "the pump has a Limited Warranty". Double check to make sure that it is a Lifetime Warranty. I have seen some websites not giving the the Lifetime Warranty!

Thanks, ill check that out before i bought anything.

If you want I have an extra drawstraw that Ill send you for the cost of shipping. I ended up using a draw straw I on my truck when I installed my airdog 150

GB

Thanks a lot guinnes brewer, ill send you my adress on a pm, and you can tell how to pay the shiping.

I did the raptor 150 it was about 20 dollars more from Vulcan performance fast shipping and good customer service

it did come with the life time warranty from air dog but you have to send the paper in with in 30 days of purchase which I didn't read in time because I installed it 60 days later but still a good pump even if in 5 years I have to pay another 365 dollars its worth it

Sorry guys i have been absent, but i'm on nightshift, i work 12 hours straight, so when i get home i only have time to sleep, well like i told you im gonna keep you posted on my trucks problems, on monday i ordered timbo's apps, fuel pressure gauge and the line that goes from the filter to the injection pump (1/2 ID). As soon as i installed everything, ill tell guys if there's any news (i'm sure that i've got to get me a raptor 150 but well see)Thanks a lot guys:)