• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

all that depends on what turns out to be wrong. the throw out bearing is not very expensive. the pressure plate is probably not o bad. a rebult 5 speed is the worst. i have seen them for $1500 to $2000. just saw them while i was shopping for my 6 speed. Rockauto.com is a good place to look for the first two. i cant recomend any one for the tranny. some of the other guys here have bought them and possibly could recomend someone. any way you look at it the tranny has to come off to see what it is. if you plan on some one else doing the work, it wouldnt hurt to let them drive it and see what they think.

went to shop today they said throw out bearing on its last leg and 3rd gear sycro is out.. So while we got it out of the truck im thinkin bout just rebuilding the whole thing same me from having to tare it apart again.. Or just get a reman one run round 1700 core charge of 500. Might be cheaper to just go that route by time I buy all the parts and pay shop guys 65 an hour probually be more then that.. What you all think?

went to shop today they said throw out bearing on its last leg and 3rd gear sycro is out..

You gave a good description, then. I'm late to the party but that's exactly what I was going to tell you.

So while we got it out of the truck im thinkin bout just rebuilding the whole thing same me from having to tare it apart again..

Not a bad idea to at least go through it and check out the bearings. It's gotta get run through to change the synchros anyway. If you've got a good trans shop that's the route I'd run. Well, actually the route I'd run is to do it myself. Buddy changed the main shaft bearings in his 4500 in two nights.... Parts cost was under $100. I run in a rather DIY crowd, you might say...

well I would rebuild it myself to if I had the slightest clue on what the heck I was doing.:lmao: I was looking at rebuild kits and they come with brass sycros??? That don't sound right to me brass? I don't know much bout all this stuff so hopefully get some guidance here

• 5 weeks later...

What did you end up doing with your trans?

As for gear oils, I researched this heavily, a few yrs ago, when I swapped my '96 47RE for a NV4500. I had to rebuild the trans shortly after that, and it wasn't hard at all. I'd never rebuilt a manual, prior to that.

Fluid-wise, you can use Royal Purple SynchroMesh and SynchroMax in the 4500/5600s. Let me check my notes and I'll let you all know which goes in what trans.

----EDIT----

Dodge Trucks NV4500, 1994 & newer (GL-4: 75W85) Posted ImageMax-Gear 75W90

Dodge Trucks NV1500, NV3500 & NV5600, 1994 & newer (MS9224 / PN04874464) Posted ImageSynchromax

From Royal Purple's tech sppt : For your 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins we recommend the following:Transfer Case: Royal Purple Synchromax (part #01512, quart bottle); 5.2 quarts;(w/241HD w/ power take off)Front Differential: Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 (part #01300, quart bottle); 4.25 quarts;Rear Differential: Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 (part #01300, quart bottle); 5.05 quarts;Power Steering: Royal Purple Max EZ (part #01326, 12-oz bottle); Sent from my rooted EVO's tiny keyboard with my opposable thumbs...