• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tire Update

dorkweed

I wish I could get that kind of life out of my tires! I wore thru 4/32 (28%) of my OEM Michelin's in less than 7K miles this summer, 3900 of those miles were towing with several hundred being on dirt. That's the average, 3/32 front and 5/32 rear.. and these tires are HARD! Based on that wear rate they will be only be good for 25K miles or so. At least I can pickup OEM take-off's for 200-300 bucks, and have a set of KM2's for hunting/winter.

Something to keep in mind. Being a former Cooper tire employee, I can say without a doubt that all OEM automotive tires have less tread depth than a replacement tire. The same is true for tires bought @ Walmart or Sam's or similar places, usually a big differance in compounds as well.

• Staff

Something to keep in mind. Being a former Cooper tire employee, I can say without a doubt that all OEM automotive tires have less tread depth than a replacement tire. The same is true for tires bought @ Walmart or Sam's or similar places, usually a big differance in compounds as well.

The Micheligns I have are 16/32nds, just like the replacements. They are also hockey puck hard, so I hope they aren't softer :-)

Back when I had my '99, the OEM tires were Michelin LTX M&S. Got 125,000 miles out of those bad boys. My '04.5 came with Michelin LTX AS. Got 81,000 out of those, but they sucked in all conditions except dry pavement!!! I've heard great things about the Toyo M55's..............very, very pricey though.I stick with Cooper now. Good tires that are made in the USA.

I picked up a set of Michelin LTX A/S and they are a great road driving tire. Quiet and comfortable, especially compared to the Discoverer ATRs that I had before. Had them up in the hills hunting a little earlier this month and they did alright on the dirt but mud was a different story. Def wouldn't recommend them for alot of off hwy use. They seem to be wearing well so far but I don't expect them to see anything higher than 50-60K...:spend:

Back when I had my '99, the OEM tires were Michelin LTX M&S. Got 125,000 miles out of those bad boys. My '04.5 came with Michelin LTX AS. Got 81,000 out of those, but they sucked in all conditions except dry pavement!!! I've heard great things about the Toyo M55's..............very, very pricey though. I stick with Cooper now. Good tires that are made in the USA.

Id be wearing 2 sets out by the time i hit 125k, maybe working on a 3rd set. It amazes me you guys can get that kind of mileage out of a tire! I might need to take some lessons from someone :smart:

82k is alot of miles for one set of tires! I could only dream of those kind of numbers! @ dorkweed, like you, Im just relaying my experiences not trying to stir the pot either. With you running those high air pressures, Im surprised you get such good life out of your tires. Do you haul/tow alot? I run about 55 in mine empty if Im towing Ill pump em up a little more. I would just think with 70 psi all the time you would be wearing the centers out faster. It must be workin for you though from the sounds of it :thumbup2:

The toyo m55 is one of the hardest rubber compounds that you can get in a ten ply. I would run 45 in the back and 50 in the front. The only issue is some people are noise princesses and can hear the tire and don't like them. But i drive the first year of the 24v all i here is the engine. But like i said for the three sets i have run of the past 300,000 miles i loved them. They are like concrete when it come to rocks and drive where you shouldn't be i have never got a flat in the woods.

Toyo is not really a popular brand of truck tires around here. Before I bought my Cooper Discoverer ATR's (last set, not current AT3's) I called a couple tire shops that carried Toyo tires and inquired what they'd cost. At that time; with mounting, valve stems, balancing, etc. included, it'd would've come to almost $300/tire!!!!!!!:duh::spend:After choking a bit, I said Coopers are fine with me!!!!! That said, if I could find the Toyo M-55's for the same price as what I can get my Coopers for; I'd be all over them like...................(insert your own colorful metaphor)!!!!!!!!:smart:

Id be wearing 2 sets out by the time i hit 125k, maybe working on a 3rd set. It amazes me you guys can get that kind of mileage out of a tire! I might need to take some lessons from someone :smart:

You'll probably be hugely shocked IMHO. How do you think Mike and I get the mileage we do out of these trucks???? Sure they can go fast.........very fast..........and get fast quickly..........does that mean you need to use it all the time???? I don't care if I get passed on the road. I'd rather them pass me than ride my dupa so close that I can't see them in my rear view mirrors!!!! This thread was about tire wear.................good mileage=long tire life IMHO!!! I tow as much as anyone here on this site........save for CajFlynn.............and I still get good tire life. Granted, my trailers ain't heavy, but they're still trailers!!! I grew up hauling critters to market..........you learn fast how to tow/haul easily doing that!!

You'll probably be hugely shocked IMHO. How do you think Mike and I get the mileage we do out of these trucks???? Sure they can go fast.........very fast..........and get fast quickly..........does that mean you need to use it all the time???? I don't care if I get passed on the road. I'd rather them pass me than ride my dupa so close that I can't see them in my rear view mirrors!!!! This thread was about tire wear.................good mileage=long tire life IMHO!!! I tow as much as anyone here on this site........save for CajFlynn.............and I still get good tire life. Granted, my trailers ain't heavy, but they're still trailers!!! I grew up hauling critters to market..........you learn fast how to tow/haul easily doing that!!

I drive conservatively i dont do burn outs i dont brake hard or corner hard and I keep my tire pressures in check - keeping them inflated according to load. If im not towing I can get 20 to 21 mpg consistantly to a tank of fuel. It could be a little better but i think my tire size and tread are limiting me. I think what hurts me are all the gravel roads and the couple of months a year i haul for my friend in the spring has me down poor lease roads and fields occasionally. I would love to find a set of 4th gen wheels and eventually be able to put a good radial on them and then save my duratracs for when i need them. It would help me with my mileage a little and i wouldnt be wearing out my duratracs prematurely i could just save them for winter and springtime.

• 3 months later...

I think Michelins are one of the best tires out there. The LTX M/S has always lasted on my 04' well over 70,000, the A/T's will last almost as long. I run Michelins on my RV also, sorry thing is, they are making them in China now!!!

i ran 235/85/16 cooper at3 on my 02 f-350 crew cab flat bed, i was running hot shot loads and i ran them 68k miles, i sold the truck with them still on it, they had less than 1/4 tread. i ran a set of 285/75/16(8ply) toyo open country at's on my old 99 quad cab long bed dodge for 45k and on my 98.5 i had 285/75/16 (10 ply) nitto terra grapplers they lasted 18k and were SHOT!!! I got a set of 3rd gen take off wheels with 256/70/17 ive ran them for 18k with still about half tread. long story short i would recommend cooper at3's over any other tire ive ever ran!! i just put a set on the g/f's f-250. and my dodge will be getting a set this fall :thumbup2:

• Like 1

I still have the OEM Michelin LTX rubber on the Dodge & wearing well but I don't see them as other than a highway tire. The tread is leagal but getting down now... but I've had sidewall checking cracks for the last couple of years. I've had Cooper Discoverer on a Diesel Ranger quite a few years ago... when the tranny failed & could not be repaired, I pulled the new tires off and mounted them of Sheila's Caravan where they wore like iron. I'd buy Coopers again in a heart beat.

I'm at 73,000 miles on my 225/70r19.5 recap drive tires on Kumho carcasses. They're thin for snow duty, but still legal tread. probably 5-6/32. I had some issues with the Continental HDRs that I put on for steer tires, one went out of round on me, and they needed frequent rotating to not chop from braking. I swapped to a used set of imports at about 55k with some tread still on them. One is a spare and the other is a retread candidate... New truck is getting some Bandag BDLD caps for drives and Sumitomo SD918s for steers in 245/70r19.5.

I've been contemplating getting some Treadwrights, since the 6-wheeler needs new shoes soon..

My friends have run through MANY sets of them. One had an issue (sidewall bulge) that was fixed in short order with no drama. They've had good life, durability and performance on-road and aired down off-road on many TJs and at least one 3/4t Chevy tow rig.
  • Like 1