• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rotella SAE 15W40

I've been using Shell's Rotella Triple protection 15W40 for a while now for my truck and I also use it in my tractor. So today I noticed as I was changing my tractor oil that I needed more, went to buy a 20 litre pail and they had none. They had the 9.5 litre pail and i look on the back and it says the specs listed and it includes Cummins engines. I go to a different store, same looking oil container but the back doesn't say Cummins, but it's still a Heavy Duty engine oil able to be used in Heavy equipment same as the other container says. I call Shell when I get home and they say basically it's all the same oil, they just changed the look , took the diesel writing off of it so people realize it can be used for gas engines also. My hang up is are the lesser amount of specifications it can be used for on the back saying it's not good for Cummins I wonder? I know, I called the helpline, but I'm guessing it's a call center and I don't know if i really trust what a kid at a call center is telling me soemtimes when it comes to an expensive engine :rolleyes:

I think your over analyzing lol. I know plenty of people and companies that have used Rotella for a long time and are nothing but happy with it. I personally use mobil delvac 1300 15w40 right now because i get it from work for free. If i had to pay for my own oil I would probably be using Rotella myself.-Jordan-

There are 3 liquids that need to be right for your truck. Fuel, Oils and Coolant.When your buying oil, go by what the trucks requirements are by the manufacture and that the container meet these requirements. If there is a discrepancy on the label, let someone else play with it. The oil for a gasser IS different than diesel. That's why there is a rating requirement standard set. Rotella is good oil. But this can cost you more than oil and a filter. Buy something that meets your need. I had a question on the label and changed brands.