• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Steering box brace

Anyone know how to tell if you would be better off with A) steering brace B) steering box C) new links and tie rods ? How to tell if you steering box is loose ... I got under truck and pulling on it felt tight but my steering is loose .... No play in steering shaft column tho ... Just loose when steering

:smart: Good questions John!

i put the steering brace on mine first and it did help some. but i think my steering was already pretty far gone. the next time i did anything i just replaced all of it so i dont know what helped the most nor exactly how to tell which parts do the most good. at 22ok i figured they all had to be pretty worn.it is a good quetion.

got to admit it sounds good. little to sunny out here to see the pics good. i will have to look it over this evening at the rv. for $300 you probably cant go wrong. so why dont you buy one and put it on. then we'll know for sure how good it is.

got to admit it sounds good. little to sunny out here to see the pics good. i will have to look it over this evening at the rv. for $300 you probably cant go wrong. so why dont you buy one and put it on. then we'll know for sure how good it is.

yeah - honestly thats what I am thinking. This and the steering brace for $400 shipped.

John, I have not done this myself but have read instructions from others on this site which stated to have someone with a bit of strength turn the steering wheel left to right while the engine was off. While doing this get under the truck and hold something like a pencil or screwdriver centered on the steering box shaft where the pitman arm is bolted on. If the shaft has some play in it you will be able to see it moving side to side.If I am wrong in these instructions, someone please correct me, but this is how I read to do it.I bought my steering box brace on ebay for $110 with free shipping. It was of good quality. I honestly can't see how they can build them sell them for that. The sellers name is "Customdiesel 123" He sells them for $119, but I made an offer for $100, and they agreed to sell it for $110. Bob

i paid over $200 for my brace. $400 for both these items aint bad. wher are you getting these from John? as far as testing the shaft for movement, engine on or off i dont know. i do know if the engine is off you better find the hulk. my is like set in cncrete with out the engine running.

Yeah reason I ask is I was originally going with the brace but then was thinking of upgraded steering box but then I was thinking of how every1 likes lukes link and then I came across this http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-non-powertrain/372455-09-10-steering-best-322-ever-spent.html $300 - seems good

Thanks Mr FAK-tual!

i paid over $200 for my brace. $400 for both these items aint bad. wher are you getting these from John?

as far as testing the shaft for movement, engine on or off i dont know. i do know if the engine is off you better find the hulk. my is like set in cncrete with out the engine running.

BRACE

$120 for brace off ebay or http://www.dodgeramsteeringstabilizer.com/

LINKAGE

http://oemmoparonline.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=78739

STEERING BOX

W&F had a link to a guy who sold the steering boxes for like $200 also - name was Blue Top Steering or something

http://www.bluetopsteeringgears.com/

:thumb1:

--- Update to the previous post...

"ditto":broke:

Yeah I know what you mean.

Let you in on a little secret. I hunt for deals on used stuff. I then install it and if I dont like it I sell it for little cost, sometimes for a small $$. That way I get to use/try stuff and determine if like it - and then sell if its not absolutely worth it.

Somethings tho a little harder - like links/bushings - those will have to stay. You could probably by a steering brace new tho for $110 and sell it slightly used for $90 if it wasnt what you wanted.

Ive gone through 3 turbos that way and actually will come out on top (not by much) by doing it that way. Same with some programmers and other stuff.

Been working like a fiend lately - so that helps - hard to get "spare $$" for toyz/truck tho anytime

i know about working like a fiend. not so much the past few weeks, but when you are on salary it really does not mean much. 30 hours or 60 hours, it all pays the same.

Yeah did the FT gig for like 7 years. Now just do contract for last 2-3. Seems to suit me better - doesn't work out that much different to a FT - but at least if I do 60 hours I know I am getting paid - and if I do 40 then its a cruzy week. Seems to suit my mentality.

Wife cant work tho - too hard in this economy. Else this would have all been in the truck last year - hahah .

Now just getting to the point where I think do I sink another $10k into her over the next 3 years as my only "project" build ....... and keep her till she dies, or sell it after a coup[le of years when we head back to AUS (wife wants to - not me - go figure she is a MO girl).

Johnfak, thanks for the link on that steering brace. I ordered one. It is the first brace I have seen that looks as if it will work with a snow plow frame. It doesn't have the big square tube like all the others. It will be a close fit, but I talked to Don (the owner) and he said if it didn't work he would refund my money, so it is worth a try. Thanks. Bob

Well, the steering brace is installed. (the one listed above by johnfak) I can't say that I see any difference in the steering. However, I wasn't having any problems with my truck wandering or tracking wrong. I have a snow plow and this was a preventive measure as opposed to a cure. A little modifying was necessary to fit the brace with the snow plow mounting frame, but it works. The cummins is heavy enough, add a snow plow and that is a good bit of stress on the steering box.