• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Down Tube?

jsabeh

While in NJ I had my 2005 Ram CTD serviced at the Caldwell, NJ Dodge/jeep/Chrysler dealer. I was told I should replace the Down Tube for $130 every 30,000 miles. Since I didn't see that requirement in my service manual and never heard of it I decided not to do it till I found out more about it. Is this something anyone else knows about or is it a service rip off???

What is this down tube they are referring to?

when I asked the service writter went in to the service bay, telling me I was not allowed. When he came out he said he didn't know but the technition said it was around the engine. I think it was just a ploy to get money from me as I could not find any refernce to a down tube.

• Staff

I would never say this about any dealer but, I know one of the tactics is make you think it's old and needs 'lotsa' repairs. Then they get to sell you a new one and you end up like me :spend:or used to be :doh:

not trying to stand up for the dealer, afterall they gave me my wonderful in tank pump for $1k, but i googled "dodge down tube" and came up with several hits. mostly about down tubes inthe fuel system, a nitrous system and also the downtube from the turbo which i have always called a down pipe. anyway even these things would not have to be replaced every 30k miles. i'd have to cal bs too. i knew i had heard of it before and with a memeory jog it is part of a bycyke and motrocycle frame. it is crap like this gives even good mech's a bad name.

Check with your state of automotive repairs. In some states, the company repairing the vehicle HAS to maintain the parts until you take them, you say to through them away or what ever you want them to do with the parts. If they are suppose to check with you and didn't, you have a complaint with the state. Either way, I would contact Dodge corporate and complain on this. Have the corporation tell you what the part is for and when it is recommended to change out.

• Like 1

This is just my "never to be humble opinion"; but I really, really think the Stealership was talking about the crankcase breather tube.:2cents:

Had the OP OKed the work, all that would've been done was to spray down the breather tube with brake parts cleaner, clean off the oil/road grime, and dry it to make it look new again!!! Scam, big scam.

• Like 1