• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Smarty UDC!!

AH64ID

• Owner

When I heard about EFI live being build for the Dodge I was tickled to death but then learned later on that EFI Live figure the VP44 technology is just too old to deal with so it never going to be done... :banghead:I would love to have that kind of flexiblity in programming the ECM and VP44... Wow could you imagine the tunes a person could actually do if he's got the proper talent. :wow: Then in the same token imagine how may people would blow up enginnes and make smoke tunes. :soap:

• Owner

I went over and download the demo software and played for a moment andd I'm truely impressed. http://www.madselectronics.com/DownloadUDC.html The sample file included with the demo happens to be a Common Rail of some sort but the fact you can change up all the timing curves, fueling amounts, etc... This is truely a awesome tuner. This really worth it for the common rails I'm curious how the the 24V's will work... :rolleyes:

• Staff

Posted by Marco on CompD

Hey Gang, I have not had much time in the past months to post or let's alone say read the forums. Too much stuff all at the same time in the pipeline. Sorry 'bout that. As you can see, even though I'm silent, we're not sitting on our hands. A few things that I would like to point out about the UDC. I think the most important news with the UDC is that you not only get a tool but you get also professional help in using the tool to get the tuning right. AKA, the (stock) parameters that you modify with the tuning software are NOT written into a stock software! Your modifications are written into my " base software"! WTH the base SW is? That's the software I use in all my tuning. In other words, the tweaked / performance oriented stock software which is the base for all Smarty tunes. All limiting factors like for example the boost / torque / limiters ( simple stupid examples there are hundreds of parameters tweaked in the base software ) are already taken care of. You don't have to fiddle with them. I already did the legwork for ya. Example, when the 6.7L first came out, it took me over 2K dyno runs to optimize that "base SW". That's been well worth my time tho The result is that the power can now be taken anywhere by tweaking in the Duration / RP / Timing. This is where your modifications land in Smarty.... Since it's time to open up my smallish box where I keep my lil secrets in... I have turned off the late injection event in all my softwares since late 2005 / early 2006. The late injection event is OFF by default in all my softwares since then. 'Nough said? OK, gotta admit, in a couple SW releases I had forgotten to turn it off. I guess nobody really noticed it. Oh yeah, I've heard that fantasy a lot of times...turning off the late one gains a fantazillion in mileage. Now you know the (real world) answer to that. Hint, when you read " Load " , think it as Throttle Position and everything will become ( much ) easier to tune 'n understand. Cheers, Marco

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

I am currently beta testing UDC, and working up a tow tune for my Jr.

The software is easy to use, and not to complicated. I won't get to try the tune until Friday, but am looking foreword to it.

Here is a shot of my timing vs stock timing.

--- Update to the previous post...

Posted Image

Is that a topo of the rockies over the blue ridge? Some times i just dont know what to say about the things some of you guys post. It is so far over my head it is rediculous. I mean no disrepect to anyone and hope you keep posting this kind of info because I have learned from some of it and other things are just way over my head. I cannot believe how much i have learned and I do have the utmost respect for every one here, they all seem to contribute in what ever way they can and thats what makes this place stand out from all the others. Thanks for letting me be apart of it.

• Like 2

• Staff

Well I think I have the tune ready to load in the truck tomorrow. I made some more changes to the timing map, but nothing you can really see. I didn't play too much with duration, everything is within ±2% of stock. The wastegate is setup for 38psi, which I won't hit right now and it doesn't really matter as I have to reinstall the boost solenoid next week, then adjust the WG down to about 20-22psi and let the solenoid work. I added a little tq management on bottom end (dirt/ice) and took a little out on the top, we shall see what it does.

All in all the software is easy to use and works well.

I'll let you all know how the tow trip goes.

--- Update to the previous post...

Here are some shots of stock tables. The axis' are rpm, load %age, and the other is based on the table. PSI for Rail, degrees for timing, miliseconds for duration, psi for wastegate. These are from my 05 stock file (except rail pressure, but it's from a 04.5-07).

It's amazing that even thou the stock truck will pull 30-32 psi of boost the WG is set to open at 25 psi.

Timing (you can see why they run so HOT, and don't get as good of fuel mileage, and that the timing is based off of emissions).

Posted Image

Rail pressure (not very smooth)

Posted Image

Duration (nothing fancy, the more pressure you run the shorter the duration)

Posted Image

Wastegate

Posted Image

• Staff

Played with a couple of tunes this weekend. Truck is really running great, and tows amazing! I was pulling hills about 50-100° lower than the standard tune, and at a lower load. It seems like the mileage is up a little too, but too early to tell. My pyro is on the fritz and started reading about 100-200° high towing home yesterday, so I'll have to wait for the new one to do more testing. But while it appeared to be working I went WOT in 5th gear, 2200rpms, 15-15.5K GCW, up a 8-9% grade. I ran from 2200-2700 rpms. Boost peaked at 32 (same) and EGT's peaked at 1210 (down about 50°) and the truck felt stronger. I didn't get to see DP/rail pressure but will pay more attention next time. Very happy with UDC so far.

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

I had an unexpected chance to dyno today. Last time I dyno'd was in 08 with the JR on SW3, stock turbo, and stock cam.

The new graph is much smoother! This is smoothing on zero. The below numbers are uncorrected, the corrected numbers are 414/850. I am impressed how flat the torque curve is, and how consistent the numbers were on runs 2 and 3. Run #1 was PoD on 70, I was curious how it effected WOT power, and it's pretty obvious. Run #2 was PoD on 85, which is were I run normally and my gauges told me it was the same power as PoD99, which I was able to verify. The throttle and power are smoother on PoD85 when towing, and the smoke is also down a little (not that it really smokes anyhow).

My previous dyno was 387/712 (437/808), so I am down a few hp but up quite a bit of torque. For how I use the truck this is just fine, and I won't be looking for that lost hp.

My timing is pretty tame, peak about 20°. I am sure that I could get more power from timing, but I do plenty of towing with the truck and want to be on the safe side.

Smoothing 0, Uncorrected

Posted Image

Smoothing 2, Corrected

Posted Image