• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What to do if PCM's and ECM' become impossible to find...

• Staff

Would you just recommend P pumping it? I ask because it seems EPA is putting the clamps on us older truck owners withoutthe mileage killer smog devices. Any thoughtsAre there any other options?

I would not mind buying a pcm and instlling it to make sure it works and just putting it back. An ECM is another deal though they are quite spendy. I would be willing to if I knew I could pull it out later and it would still work.:shrug:

• Staff

can someone explain what exactly the EPA is doing? banning the remanufacturer of ECM's and PCM's for older trucks?

ULSD and CJ-4 oils not good for older trucks which is required by EPA. Only thing you can do is add 2 cycle oil to the fuel and then buy the right oil only available in bulk now which is CI-4 oil (good stuff). Then just the requirement of ULSD jumped the cost above what gasoline cost and there is still twice or more the amount of diesel fuel in a barrel of oil as there is gasoline.:mad: Then they are ruining mileage numbers with all the required smog devices on newer diesel engines. Seems rediculious since you end up burning more fuel to get to going to the same place. :shrug: It just boils down to where a guy feels more and more pinched out of his freedom of having a good workable pick up with , long lasting engine and a great big smile. It's As though whatever little bit of freedom is still left in our lives they start taxing it or messin' with it to cost more.

ULSD and CJ-4 oils not good for older trucks which is required by EPA. Only thing you can do is add 2 cycle oil to the fuel and then buy the right oil only available in bulk now which is CI-4 oil (good stuff). Then just the requirement of ULSD jumped the cost above what gasoline cost and there is still twice or more the amount of diesel fuel in a barrel of oil as there is gasoline.:mad: Then they are ruining mileage numbers with all the required smog devices on newer diesel engines. Seems rediculious since you end up burning more fuel to get to going to the same place. :shrug: It just boils down to where a guy feels more and more pinched out of his freedom of having a good workable pick up with , long lasting engine and a great big smile. As though whatever aspect of greater freedom thet start messin' with it.

i never knew about the CJ-4 and CI-4 oil difference. but the rest i did know about. I was thinking theat the EPA was banning the older trucks by making them unrepairable or something.

• Staff

i never knew about the CJ-4 and CI-4 oil difference. but the rest i did know about. I was thinking theat the EPA was banning the older trucks by making them unrepairable or something.

I am sorry I gave you a bit of worry there. I did not mean to do that. Just sitting here thinking about the trucks electronics... I wonder how much they really cost because I suspect they are probably built fairly cheaply inside. I am hoping for an electrical engineer who owns the same truck will figure something out some day. Sort of like what happened with the Timbo APPS. A guy just tried an Apps from a Mustang that originally cost 35 bucks. Was better Quality and when hooked up, worked better and turned out more reliable. He now sells them with the correct wiring and connectors for the 2nd gen 24's for a lot less.:thumbup2: The Dodge computers are designed to fail at some point. Simply because they are most likely not built by a company like Sony or other quality maker. There is another aspect to the electronics that I often think about. Read a long time ago on another forum...... A guy with one of our trucks had his computer go out. The Dealer said that he needed a new one, but, instead of buying one, he had heard of a guy that can fix them for about 400 bucks. When he went to this guy, he would not let him see anything of what went on inside the shop and what was done, but, the computer came back fixed in a very short amount of time. Asking what he had done, the guy would not reveal anything of what was done. I suspect there is some kind of money making set up with these things. Naturally, I could be wrong, but, I do think of that story often.