• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

just happened all of a sudden started out taking 2-3 more cranks then usual and now today hot or cold will hardly start.. Ive had air dog raptor on it since 174k miles now its got 220k. Wouldnt think the injection pump would go bad if the pressure has been good for 46k miles any advice would be helpful trying to advoid spending ton on vp

That was what it use to do for bout a week I noticed it took 3-4 more cranks then normal. Now it barley starts takes a good 10-15 cranks both times ive had same think in it performance wise.. Fuel pressure is always ubove 10 psi at the lowest normally higher then that.. now with this fuel mods I got done I could put it to the floor and fuel pressure would drop hard core way below 10 psi so I cranked up the pressure to bout 25 psi runs round 20psi under light throttle but when you hammer down it goes down to 10-15 area.. Is to much pressure bad for injection pump? Never really heard anyone say it was but maby i didnt rear right places

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/181-p0380-intake-air-heater-relay-1-control-circuit

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/191-p0501-vehicle-speed-signal-rationality

Here is info on your codes. But after your last post, there are other concerns as well. When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? Your pressure is dropping way too much! Check for kinks in the line, filter clogged and or a clog in the tank. Good luck!

--- Update to the previous post...

Is to much pressure bad for injection pump? Never really heard anyone say it was but maby i didnt rear right places

My :2cents: is that I would turn it down to 20 psi. I have read where some guys run higher, but, the feeling on the forum is no higher than 20 psi at idle.

• Owner

Fuel pressure is dropping way too much and the idle pressure is way too high.Here is what I'm running...

I've got no problem keeping it at 19 @ idle and 17 @ WOT. Maximum amount of fall you should see is about 5 PSI from idle to WOT. But that hard fall is pointing to a poor lift pump, restricted filter, or restricted plumbing.

It would only drop 5psi even with the call for fuel being much higher? Sceems like the more fuel mods you use the more pressure it would drop due to the more fuel being used. IDk thats why i cranked it up to 25psi..

either that or this dumb cs monitor is not reading correctly. I dont think it reads anything correctly heck my egt;s where 200 degrees off when I installed a autometer gauge to make sure.. Boost is bout 3 psi off to.

It would only drop 5psi even with the call for fuel being much higher? Sceems like the more fuel mods you use the more pressure it would drop due to the more fuel being used. IDk thats why i cranked it up to 25psi..

either that or this dumb cs monitor is not reading correctly. I dont think it reads anything correctly heck my egt;s where 200 degrees off when I installed a autometer gauge to make sure.. Boost is bout 3 psi off to.

does your egt gauge reset after your turn the truck off? my egt gauge was off as well, till i figured that out.

If your running a raptor 150, with stock fuel lines and 250's for injectors i can clearly see your restriction. a 1/2 Draw straw, with 1/2 or 3/8's fuel lines will cure your issues, along with bigger banjo fittings. (unless you replace the lines from the fuel filter to the VP-44.

your problem is indeed a restriction.

My Fass 95 with all in signature runs 16psi at idle and under fully load will only drop to a hair below 15psi. and that is 1/2 draw straw, and 3/8 steel braded USCG fuel line from straw to pump, and 3/8's fass fuel line from pump to VP.

• Owner

Ahh... Waterhammer... You might consider a mechanical gauge.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/36-fuel-system/34-fuel-pressure-gauge-and-water-hammer-effects

• Owner

I got 1/2 line kit running to the fuel filter canaster. was considering changing it from the canaster to the injection pump but was not sure if anyone made the fittings for 1/2 line. sucking fuel from stock draw straw

Ahhh... There's your restriction... http://www.vulcanperformance.com/Universal-Big-Line-Filter-to-Injection-Pump-Kit-w-p/ffip59.htm

just happened all of a sudden started out taking 2-3 more cranks then usual and now today hot or cold will hardly start.. Ive had air dog raptor on it since 174k miles now its got 220k. Wouldnt think the injection pump would go bad if the pressure has been good for 46k miles any advice would be helpful trying to advoid spending ton on vp

i had air getting into my system causing similar problems, just a thought....also, you may want to check out http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/vp44_diagnostics.html and also http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/lift_pump_diagnostics.html Bluechip has some awesome info and can tell you whats going with your system

put new fuel filter in today.. WOW.. from my set 25psi fuel pressure went up o 31 after I changed it.. Turned it down to 19 so far havent seen below 17 yet. Got another question how would s300 and a industrial injection 68/74/13 work in a twin set up?

also sceems to be starting better last couple days I think its just a fuel restriction problem and not my injection pump.. Thanks for the help guys appreciate it:thumb1: