• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Clutch Hydraulics

AH64ID

• Staff

Quite a few OFE users on here so...I had a CON-OFE put in last spring and ever since the install I have a really hard time getting the trans into 1st or 2nd, unless I go 3-2 or 4-1. If I come to a stop and leave the clutch in I can shift no problem, but as soon as I release the clutch and then engage it to shift I can't get into 2nd. It's worst when warm, when cold it shifts fine. I talked to SBC and they think my OEM hydraulics are shot, but I don't want to test that theory with the $315 SBC hydraulics to find it didn't fix it.Fluid is Amsoil MTF, replaced since the clutch install with no change. Any thoughts?

Quite a few OFE users on here so... I had a CON-OFE put in last spring and ever since the install I have a really hard time getting the trans into 1st or 2nd, unless I go 3-2 or 4-1. If I come to a stop and leave the clutch in I can shift no problem, but as soon as I release the clutch and then engage it to shift I can't get into 2nd. It's worst when warm, when cold it shifts fine. I talked to SBC and they think my OEM hydraulics are shot, but I don't want to test that theory with the $315 SBC hydraulics to find it didn't fix it. Fluid is Amsoil MTF, replaced since the clutch install with no change. Any thoughts?

Not familiar with your truck but if you are talking about the clutch slave cylinder and the fluid is separate from what is in the trans itself you could try a thicker fluid to see if it improves any. Might point you in the right direction anyway. Might be leaking internally. Good when cold and bad when warm says warming is causing some slight expansion and letting some fluid slip by.

Mine does the same........moreso when I have a cold tranny though. When sitting at a stop and go light, I usually sit in neutral. When the light turns, and I depress the clutch; if it doesn't fall into gear, I just rev the engine a hair, and then she'll fall in. I've got the NV5600.............don't remember if you do or not.I have stock hydraulics also and have almost 100,000 miles on this clutch.

I haven't tried blipping the throttle yet. I do have a NV5600 with the stock hydraulics. 75K on truck, 10K on OFE. I have a couple of things to try when I get home, SBC wants me to see how much free float the throwout bearing has.

Lemme know on how that turns out; as I may try it also. Yeah; I know, if it ain't broke fix it until it is!!!!!!! This clutch is still awesome!!! Before I posted, I had to check on my numbers. I had the clutch installed at about 71,000 miles...............Mighty Whitey has just under 164,000 now!!!

• Staff

They were never removed...

--- Update to the previous post...

I talked to SBC again today, and he isn't conviced enough that the OEM's are shot to sell me new hydraulics.

He had me take a measurement on the shift fork tonight, and thinks I should dump 1 qt of lucas in the trans (which I don't really want to do). But I am going to call him back tomorrow and see what happens.

I replaced my master just over 2 years ago with one from Advance auto and the slave about 6 months ago from Rock auto. I just bought what they had off the shelf and did not ask for anything heavy duty and they both work just like the oe stuff did. I sometimes have to put it in 2nd before first and reverse is a little stubborn occasionally. The truck has been like that since new. When my master was failing though it was differant, I sometimes had to shut the engine down just to get it into gear. I put a Valair clutch in about a year ago, forget the mode number but it is organic facings good for 400hp. the pedal is stiffer but functions the same as th oe set up.

• Staff

I talked to SBC again and they really don't think its hydraulics, the symptoms just don't match weak hydraulics. They referred me to Monty and Blumenthals, he too is stumped and wants me to put some friction modifier, and more fluid in (I run 7qts, and he wants me at 10).

By friction modifier do you mean the same stuff I put in my LS diff? I have heard of a few folks doing it, I just did not know whether it would be harmful to the tranny. Evidently not. Are you going to try the modifier and extra fluid? Id like to know how that works out. I dont particularly wont to buy anothe nv5600 any time soon and any thing that will help this last interests me.