• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

battery fumes

• Staff

Most commonly this issue is due to a bad/loose crossover cable. The alternator hooks up directly to the pass battery, but the ECM monitors temp and voltage at the drivers battery. I would check the cable and the temp sensor (under the drivers battery), voltage of 14-15 is normal, my high voltage alarm is at 15.2 and will go off on occasion when the grids cycle off. Always replace batteries in pairs, or you may be replacing the new one with the other one in short order.

• Like 1

My brother had a run away alt on a Dodge Colt. It was smoking when he got to the shop at the marina. We got the hood up... everything was too hot to touch. It had fried the battery but good... We disconnected the battery cables with bolt cutters & set the battery on the ground. It was still too hot to handle 3 days later. Eventually, the battery cooled off enough to scrap. A new alt/regulator, an Exide Battery from our stock, a few cable ends & he was good to go. I've never seen anything like it. We thought that the regular might have stuck on, put out full power contineously, boiled all the water out of the battery until it failed, shorting internally which was why it stayed hot. (My Dad had been in electronics... started at Philco... which was originally Philadelphia Storage Battery Co http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philco )