• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New to Cummins, need some possible fuel diagnostics

:nono: bad idea. Unplug everything - return it back to stock with MAP on and clear codes and take for a drive. Then check for codes. Only when everything is ok - go back and redo the install - and pay attention to the wiring diagram - its pretty clear when you look closely - just take your time - especially with the TAP and the wires. Why are you not plugging in the MAP ?

I couldn't plug the MAP in because I either broke a piece off my stock connector, or they sent me the wrong T harness for it. But how do I "undo" the tap on the VP wire? That posi-tap wire on the Edge pierces through the VP wire doesn't it?

Leave the tapped wire just don't connect edge to it right now until everything else working. I'd sort out that wiring harness and make sure you have the right model as its not just a different adapter they're not interchangeable between years

What I just did was unplug the engine control fuse underhood, disconnected both neg battery cables, removed ground from Edge to battery, let it sit for a while, then hooked everything back up EXCEPT the Edge ground wire to battery. The CEL still comes on when I turn on the key. Throws the same two 1693 and 1689 codes. I hooked my scanner and it only gave me two seperate 1689 codes, no 1693... but I could not clear them with the scanner, it kept cancelling the command. Is there anyway to remove the VP tap wire and repair the wire? I think I'm going to just unhook all Edge components for now, reset batteries, fire it up and see if the codes remain. I'm going to let the VP tap in there for now, but will just unhook it from the EDGE, even though the EDge was not getting any power anyways.

• Owner

What I just did was unplug the engine control fuse underhood, disconnected both neg battery cables, removed ground from Edge to battery, let it sit for a while, then hooked everything back up EXCEPT the Edge ground wire to battery. The CEL still comes on when I turn on the key. Throws the same two 1693 and 1689 codes. I hooked my scanner and it only gave me two seperate 1689 codes, no 1693... but I could not clear them with the scanner, it kept cancelling the command. Is there anyway to remove the VP tap wire and repair the wire? I think I'm going to just unhook all Edge components for now, reset batteries, fire it up and see if the codes remain. I'm going to let the VP tap in there for now, but will just unhook it from the EDGE, even though the EDge was not getting any power anyways.

:banghead: Disconnecting the batteries does absolutely nothing for error codes... But you did wipe out the APPS calibration. :doh:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn7J8FQ8x5w

• Like 1

Good news guys. Truck is running like a champ again. A stock champ, but a champ :thumb1: I removed EVERY piece of Edge product, including the VP tap. The codes cleared after I ran the truck, shut it off, and restarted. Now it runs through ALL RPM ranges smoothly, I actually have heat again, and my temps warm up to a solid 190 and stick around there. I only have two issues now. One, the small hole left in the VP wire from the Edge. Two, I have no fuel pressure gauge. Although all seems well, I want to be sure the pressure is good on my new VP. I still want to install the Edge, but I'm honestly a little worried now. I think I may just wait to talk to someone at Edge and explain whats up. I know that installed every connection EXACTLY like the instructions say. I went over them all several times and even tried swapping around some of the fuses like I mentioned before. I want to get this MAP sensor sorted out as well. Even when I do install the Edge, I'm going to stay away from the VP wire I think. It says it's not required, but you just won't get the MAX gains that could with it.

I would say you got a warrnaty claim with Edge... Sounds like a defective unit is possible..

Not if he's jumping the wrong wire to vp44 and has wrong harness and tried to install anyway. What year does the edge say on the physical box and did u buy it new

Not if he's jumping the wrong wire to vp44 and has wrong harness and tried to install anyway. What year does the edge say on the physical box and did u buy it new

Box says 01-02 Cummins. Bought it new from Diesel Auto Power, already registered it on Edge's website. I gotta say, the wiring harness LOOKS like the MAP should fit, except where the T harness end plugs into the factory MAP harness, the plug on the block itself looks like should fit too, but I think I snapped the locking clip off of the factory plug there. Even so, it should still plug into the block, just won't be 100% locked. I really don't think anything I could have done would have screwed up the Edge, like I said, when I pulled the monitor out and plugged it into my computer, it worked fine. Just doesn't work on the truck. I can take some pics later on and show you guys what I'm talking about with the MAP sensor. And the wire I tapped to the VP is the exact one they say to. Top wire bundle, the wire closest to the block when pump is installed.

What year truck do you have ? The 01-02 kits should have an adapter and one of those should fit. The tapped vp44 is what you will want to run in the end. You just put some rtv silicone around to seal it up. Get a pic uploaded. Just seems strange it wouldn't fit unless there's a problem on the truck .,, Glad you got it back working

Ok I took a couple pics and I feel a little stupid now... possibly. I did not realize the T harness they give you seperates into 2 pieces. I thought it installed exactly the way they sent it. Here's what I've got in pictures:

This is what they sent, EXACTLY how they sent it:

Posted Image

This is how I thought it was supposed to be installed:

Posted Image

This is what I think I should have done, to figure out which connection my truck needs:

Posted Image

I went back out to my truck to look at the MAP and see for sure, but I could not for life of me remove the sensor again. I don't know if I did something when I removed it the first time or what, but I may need to get a screwdriver in there or something. I need to go to the gym soon, so I don't have time to pry it out right now, but I will later on. Now, even if this solves the MAP problem, it does not say anything about why the Edge would not power up in my truck UNLESS the MAP sensor directly has something to do with giving it power, which has yet to be explained. And if no one knows, I will not be able to find out until I speak with Edge this coming week.

Those adapters are for the 2002 MAP sensors which are no longer produced... So you should be able to skip all that extra junk and just plug in without adapters.

Glad you said that - I almost posted it - but I have a 2001 and wasnt 100% sure >:) AS for being tough to unclip - yes they are a SOB at times if you need to remove them. :thumbup2:

I think tomorrow I will disconnect the negative batt cables, re-install the Edge, step-by-step, re-reading everything as I go. Hopefully have the MAP plugged in, I will tap the same hole on the VP that is in there now and see what happens. After that, I really don't know what to do until I call Edge. Hopefully if it doesn't work again, they will be good to work with in troubleshooting, or, warranty replacement if necessary. I'm not trying to get a freebie replacement here, I honestly hope that it magically works tomorrow and I don't even have to call them at all.

Those adapters are for the 2002 MAP sensors which are no longer produced... So you should be able to skip all that extra junk and just plug in without adapters.

Are you talking about they lighter colored plugs not being needed? Thats what mine is connected with.

It was suggested to me to run the fusion software on my computer and update the Edge... I have an iMac, which guess what? Is not compatible with the Fusion software... go figure, another twist to my story lol. I went on Edge's site hoping to download and it states that Macs are not able run it. So now, even if by some chance, the Edge works tomorrow, I won't be able to update in the future unless I find a PC and take it there.

You DO NOT need to fiddle with the wire tap on the VP. I have been running my Edge w/attitude for 3 years now with it not hooked up. All that does is put you in level 1 mode, and you are not able to make any VP changes. Get the Edge running on the truck and working fine, then hook the extra stuff up.

You DO NOT need to fiddle with the wire tap on the VP. I have been running my Edge w/attitude for 3 years now with it not hooked up. All that does is put you in level 1 mode, and you are not able to make any VP changes.

Get the Edge running on the truck and working fine, then hook the extra stuff up.

I wish I had skipped the VP wire in the first place. The only reason I kind of want to put it back on is the hole it left in the wire. I did manage to get some electrical tape around it, but not very well. I would feel better with it secured more, it was just very difficult to wrap the wire with tape in that tight spot. But I probably won't be hooking that tap wire up again today, just the other stuff to see if it works.

--- Update to the previous post...

Hey guys, I have a side question possibly relating this fuel issue. I'm a little concerned that my fuel gauge could be off. If you remember from earlier I said I put a full 5 gallons in the tank, to make I didn't run out of gas. So that means I had a solid 5 gallons in the tank PLUS my gauge was already reading 1/4 tank. Now yesterday I filled the tank, and my card cut me off at $125, but that got me 29.7 gallons... correct me if I'm wrong here, but a 35 gallon tank with 5 gallons in it, should only be able to take 30 gallons of fuel, but my gauge was already reading 1/4 tank:

35gal/4= 8.75gal

8.75gal+5gal= 13.75gal

35gal-13.75gal= 21.25gal

I should have only been able to fill my tank with MAYBE 22 gallons since I did a small amount of driving. I guess basically my question is, how can I know for sure if my gauge is wrong, and can it be fixed? OR how can I tell if the previous owner added some kind of larger tank? I'm thinking about going to fill up again today, just to see how much more fuel it will take.

These gauges are not very accurate when you look at a quarter tank being 8.75 gallons. when mine was new and i would run it down to the fuel light coming on there would be about 8 gallons left and could runthe gauge below the E mark. When dodge installed my intank pump it went down to about 5 gallons when the light came on. Now that I have installed my AD and removed the intank pump, I only have 3 ot 4 gallons and cant run it below the E mark. I pretty sure when I reinstalled the fue l basket it did not get indexed right and I let rotate slightly. This is probably causing the float to hit the side of the tank. They just arent very accurate. I reset my trip meter whenever I fill up and gauge my fuel by that as much as any thing, But I still use the gauge as a guide. I know where mine runs out. Had to learn it 3 times. you will get to know yours with time.