• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What Would You's Guys Do???

I made a tentative appointment for Monday to bring my truck in to have the "free spin hubs" installed and replace the axle u-joints. Before anyone jumps me here, I'm not set up to do this work. I could do it myself, but don't have the space or the time now. It's better for me to borrow a truck until mine is done and make money to pay for the service I need.My question is this..........I've got almost right at 100,000 miles on the replacement BJ's and TR ends. These are greasable units. Should I have them checked/replaced???? Truck still drives great and is real tight in the wheel. I ask for the simple fact that the front end is gonna be mostly apart anyway with the hub and u-joint replacement.I've got almost 14,000 miles on the new tires, and they're not wearing oddly. In fact, they still look new minus the little nubbies. So what would y'all do???

I had front end work done recently... my truck & the Cirrus, inspected everything. I followed the shops advise, only replaced what was out of spec. I asked them to let me know if there was any question but there was not. I'm very happy with both shops. Would have been nicer if it was free... but the jobs are DONE!

In my other thread about the "free spin" kit I'll be installing............now with my buddy, JD..............neither he or I have done ball joints or tie rods before. He's replaced the unit bearings and axle u-joints before though; so he's got more experience than I do on our trucks front ends.What's the "backyard cowboy" way to check ball joints and tie rod ends??? As I said, my truck drives straight and true. No rattling, clunking or vibrations up front. I just have this "tick, tick" now from the drivers side axle u-joint unless I keep it heavily greased up.I've got just under 100k on the ball joints and tie rod ends................if I don't have to spend the money now, I won't. If I can get another 50k out of them: then when I repack the "free-spin" hubs, I'll do them then.Just need to know the backyard, cowboy, cheap-___ method of checking them now!!!!! Just to make sure I don't FUBAR something else trying to save a buck!!!

While you have the weight off of the wheels, take a prybar or a shovel will work and put it under the tire and see if there is any up and down movement. Up and down movement is a sign of ball joints going out. There seems to be differances in how much movement is bad. I was always told any movement is bad, but others here have said some movemnet is OK. Not sure how much would be OK. When I checked mine they were moving up and down 3/8". My steering was pretty bad and the movement was just confirmed to me they needed replacing.

• Staff

I believe the BJ's are allowed a fair amount of vertical movement, it's the lateral movement that is bad.

- - - Updated - - -

The service manual allows .090 of vertical movement on the lower BJ, and 0.060 of lateral movement on the upper BJ, exceeding either of those calls for replacement.

• Like 2

• Owner

I believe the BJ's are allowed a fair amount of vertical movement, it's the lateral movement that is bad.

- - - Updated - - -

The service manual allows .090 of vertical movement on the lower BJ, and 0.060 of lateral movement on the upper BJ, exceeding either of those calls for replacement.

Correct. Even on RockAuto.com the note in the ball joint listing that up/down movement is normal. :wink:

It took a while, but I think I've got the drawing figured out.................it's looking under the truck from in front!!!!!:smart: I take it that this "cowboy" method needs two people. One to grab the tires and wiggle them, and one to watch the ball joints and tie rod ends???? How hard does the guy on the tire try to wiggle the tire???? Just short of rocking it off the jack stands, or what??? If I try this by myself, would I "feel" any movement as I cannot see anything while wiggling the tire???:shrug: And yes, Dodge give specs for movement..........but how much is "really" too much????? What can you get away with?? Never any inklings of DW on my truck............not arguing, just asking!!!