• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Howdy folks, Been working to much to be around here lately. Still working to much, but thats better than not working at all.<br><br>I am having a slow start problem. The starter is turning the motor to slow like my battries are weak. I cheked the batteries this morning before starting and they read 12.5v before starting and after sitting all night. When I hit the switch it turned slowly and the voltage dropped to near 10.5. Thge engine started after a couple of seconds. It seems to start alittle slower thru the day. Iam getting worried one time it is not going to start. <br><br>The alternator is putting out 14v while running. When I first get in and turn the switch on the volt meter in the truck isx sitting near 12v and the DVM is reading 12.5. After it starts it takes about 30 to 45 seconds for the voltage to get up to 14v. It seems to me it used to not take that long to reach just past 14v and the truck gauge.<br><br>I have not had much time to investigate the problem and tomorrow will be about the only day I wil have. Just wondering what you folks think might be wrong.

• Owner

When a battery has been discharged after a heavy load like starting typically it should take longer for the voltage to return to full state. So when a battery has been discharged and bounces back to 14 volts rapidly I start to worry because the battery truly isn't charging any longer. So load testing is the best thing to do. As for the cables I would do the voltage load test on them too to verify they are passing the power to the starter with resistance in the middle. http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/34-engine-system/136-voltage-drop-testing-of-wiring-and-feed-cables

Mine was getting the same way. Just a little longer each time to start. It was getting ready to leave me stranded.Pulled the starter off to day and went to auto zone here in Iowa. They could not find that I had purchase it from them. So I took off to the closest Advance auto. Gave the guy my phone number and nothing showed up for me at all. He asked if I bought it there and I told him I bought it in NC. He says that he can only look in the state of Iowa, but the starter is an advance part. So with a little Push from me he looks up the store in NC that I bought it at, calls them and wallah there I am.Bottom line, I got a new starter (Remy, with a big Made In China sticker on it) for $0.00, installed it and all is fine. The truck starts like a new one again. Still have a lifetime warranty too.Problem solved and I appreciate yall's input.

• Like 1