• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Pillar Pod Guage lighting

I am attempting to hook up the pillar pod guage lights to my headlight switch, on the adjustable bright-dimer side. Is there a wright up on this procedure that would show which light switch leg is for the dimmer?

pull the headlight switch out (first remove dash trim bezel.)

On the back of the headlight switch, there's an orange/white (Ive seen them TAN, as well as ORG/BRN) wire at the switch harness. that is your illumination/dimmer control wire. (Verify with DVM that voltage changes via dimmer control.)

• Like 1

I found no good place to make an adaption into the dimming system without using a scotch-lock. (scotch lock pierce the factory wire and let corrosion in over time.... they eventually fail.) (I prefer to remove a pin from a connector, solder my wire and the existing wire to a new pin, and reinsert the new pin to the connector.) I ended up using a piggy back fuse. Littlefuse add a circuit. http://www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Data_Sheets/FHM02FHA02.pdf I did this both for keyed power for the pod and illumination. fuse 5 and fuse 16 (spare). HTH Hag

• 2 weeks later...

I tied into the wire for the ashtray light with a scotch lock. Very easy to get to. I hate scotch locks but in a dry cab I haven't seen any issues.

I pulled the ash tray and found the ash tray light and two wires connected to the light housing. I tied into the black wire which was the hot and my guages lit up, but would not dim thru the head light switch. The pod guage lights would come on or off when I turned on or off the ignition key, and did not turn bright or dim when turning the light switch. I hate guessing but possibly the other wire [ striped in color] could be the Hot/dimmer to the bulb and the black could be the ground? I am puzzled, which side are you hooked to Black or striped or other? Thanks Kerley

Kerley,I only have a 2001 manual, but the wire colors for the hot on ashtray and cup holder lamps are ORANGE for the hot side. (Black is rarely ever the hot side on vehicles*. edit: this statement only applies to US wired cars after about '70. for "prince of darkness" and other European wired cars you are basically on your own!) and black w/ orange stripe is the ground. HTH Hag

• Like 2

I pulled the ash tray and found the ash tray light and two wires connected to the light housing. I tied into the black wire which was the hot and my guages lit up, but would not dim thru the head light switch. The pod guage lights would come on or off when I turned on or off the ignition key, and did not turn bright or dim when turning the light switch. I hate guessing but possibly the other wire [ striped in color] could be the Hot/dimmer to the bulb and the black could be the ground? I am puzzled, which side are you hooked to Black or striped or other? Thanks Kerley

It's been a while but I'm fairly sure it would not be the black wire.
  • Like 1

kerley, what year model are you working on?

My truck is a 1998 24valve.

- - - Updated - - -

The guages are installed and work as they should.

Now for the radio exchange. The truck is a 1998 24v two door cab. I have removed the factory am/fm tape player and am installing another Dodge factory am/fm/tape/cd player.

I bought two dodge wiring harnesses one reversed. I have the wiring handeled ecept for one square white two pin plug in the top right side of the radio. I need a plug to plug into it so I have to find out what its purpose is? Does anyone know and does anyone have a plug to sell to me?

If looking at the back of the radio, its in the top right area? If so, that's for steering wheel controls for volume and channel select. If your steering wheel doesn't have the buttons on the backside of the steering wheel, then no need to worry with this plug. From the Galaxy S3

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...