• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The SR-71 Blackbird: Maj. Brian Shul talks about his "sled" adventures

Rogan

I drove all the way to hutchinson, kansas just to see that damn thing over the summer. Bad asss is the only way to describe it lol. I got pics of it all somewhere, including really fine detail pics of things, hope they didn't get dumped with all my other pics. I'll post them if I find them.

Alright I didn't actually read that longggg thing before I posted lol, until now. I didn't think there were many stories I hadn't already read. I think most of them were from him, however I never saw any telling the actual speed. I just couldn't believe they still had throttle left all the way up until it pinned out at 3.5 :lmao: That is just incredible. What drives me nuts is they built that thing in the 60's and if it were put back into service today, it would still be unbeatable. One thing I found particularly interesting that they didn't talk about there was that to refuel, the SR71 was as slow as it could go and the boeing was going as fast as it could go. However, that still wasn't enough. They said to refuel it they had to go into a nose-dive to pick up even more speed because the SR71 just couldn't go as slow as those boeings cruised during level flight. It wasn't straight down but I guess the entire time it was refueling they were in a constant decent to keep enough speed up.

• 2 weeks later...

What drives me nuts is they built that thing in the 60's and if it were put back into service today, it would still be unbeatable.

Yup!!!! This was before CAD and CNC...........all the calculations were done with pencil and slide rule!!!:smart::smart: Truly amazing!!:thumbup2: