• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I may be all wet... this sounds like a run away. (crazy) Throttle return spring failure. Otherwise I'm going to guess you have a hang up in the IP. Since diesels speed is controled by the fuel injected... there's no choke or throttle on the air inlet... the only way to stop a full runaway is to use something solid that won't be sucked into the engine like a solid board & remove the rubber hose & block the air flow til it shuts off.

the only way to stop a full runaway is to use something solid that won't be sucked into the engine like a solid board & remove the rubber hose & block the air flow til it shuts off.

I experienced this with my '96 12V when the rack stuck full forward while passing a car. Shut the key off and it said "KMA!" and kept screaming. I finally got it stopped, yanked the hood open, ripped the BHAF off, took off my sweatchirt and shoved it in the inlet.. still took about 15-20sec. to fully choke out.. It was interesting, to say the least. :)

Hey Rogan, does the 12 valve have any kind of "rev limiter" to speak of or does it have a max fuel rate in the ip? I bet that minute or so it took you to get pulled over, air filter off, and the intake plugged up she was soundin like a stock car coming out of turn 4 at talledega! Got me thinkin about stashing a screwdriver in my engine compartment somewhere "just in case"!

It has governor springs but mine had a set of 3000s in it. I can tell you that it was buzzing way beyond that lol. Kinda pulsating revs so to speak. I pee'd a little. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

At my former job we had an older than dirt peanut crane thie infamous "neck breakers" with a 2 cycle detroit. It was used in the yard for loading steel, pipe, or whatever else we needed it for. One day while running it it took off on me. I was in the process of standing up a 30'x12' steel form used for pouring concrete precast panels for buildings. it had a knife gate in the intake as they were pretty notorious for running away. I jumped out and slammed it shut and it bogged the engine down and eventually died out. But this left me with a form hanging on the hook in mid air. I was way over my head to begin with the form was way over the capacity of the peanut. But we were under the gun and had to be loaded on the truck and headed for the jobsite. So i fired it back up and had one of the guys shut the knife gate until it would run just enough to get the hydraulic pump to build enough pressure to finish lifting the panel. Backed the truck up under the panel and layed the form back down, all with the knife gate over 3/4 of the way shut. It was definitely a 10 on the pucker factor:sick: