• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Odd noise when shifting gears at higher rpms

chek your tranny fluid make sure it's full, local tranny shop told me some manual trannys have fill holes drined to low and told me to top it off and then drive it on some blocks so tranny fill hole is higher than fluid and dump another half a qwart in there. i almoust got a whole qwart in there 2 years ago and had no problems leaking anywhere. he said that one of the bearings isn't in the fluid and it gets cooked prematurly, i figured if i had too much fluid in mine it would runn out of the vent. so far no problems. but you might want to get another opinoin on that.

As far as the egts go i may hit 1200 for a few seconds when on it really hard, but there actually fairly managable for the modifications done, max boost id say is 39 psi. but the noise occurs between gears only while shifting at higher rpms. ill have to do more investigating when i get some free time from work. but ive heard turbo bark and the waste gate opening this does not sound like either of those. Ive never heard of the trans problem mentioned, i do have a built clutch but im almost positive its coming from the passenger side

Well it hasnt always made this noise and i have had the truck for 3 years and prior to injectors was pushing 30 psi normally, after injectors id say 35 or so but max ive ever got was 39. but the noise just recently started. If blow off valve is what you mean by BOV i dont have anything like that installed. but my dash decided to completly cave in two weeks ago as well so its really hard telling what im hearing but im pretty worried about it. im off wed thurs and fri so hopefully i can trouble shoot it

As far as the egts go i may hit 1200 for a few seconds when on it really hard, but there actually fairly managable for the modifications done, max boost id say is 39 psi. but the noise occurs between gears only while shifting at higher rpms. ill have to do more investigating when i get some free time from work. but ive heard turbo bark and the waste gate opening this does not sound like either of those. Ive never heard of the trans problem mentioned, i do have a built clutch but im almost positive its coming from the passenger side

i bet your waste gate is seazed shut mine was after freeing it up it seazed up again next year so i said the hell with it, but a lot of people do overlook fluid levels i would at least check it and make sure it's full. a lot easier than takeing tranny out to rebult it for a stupid bearing fail.:2cents: but why do you shift so high on rpm what are you pulling a house? i shift at about 2000-2200 with 10k total towing waight sometimes less.
  • Like 1

Well i keep an eye on my fluid levels, i check them all about 1000 miles ago. I dont normally shift that high but on occasion i might be in a hurry lol. And i never said there was a new noise its been the same noise since i started this thread. ill check the tranny and wastegate tomoro and see where that goes.

Well it hasnt always made this noise and i have had the truck for 3 years and prior to injectors was pushing 30 psi normally, after injectors id say 35 or so but max ive ever got was 39. but the noise just recently started. If blow off valve is what you mean by BOV i dont have anything like that installed. but my dash decided to completly cave in two weeks ago as well so its really hard telling what im hearing but im pretty worried about it. im off wed thurs and fri so hopefully i can trouble shoot it

"Well it hasnt always made this noise" :neutral: "but the noise just recently started" :neutral: