• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ball Joints

I found the ball joints on my truck were loose so I am going to replace them with MOOG stuff this weekend and I was thinking about investing in a decent ball joint press. Has anybody out there used one, if so what brand were you happy with? Is there any tricks that you have learned after changing yours?

i did mine with advance auto rent-a-tool... i ruined one press by the time i got to installing the last upper balljoint. i broke 1/2" breaker bar and ratchet just working against the boogered threads to get it off.i would highly recommend investing in a proper press with vehicle specific cups as it will ensure things go in right and smoothly. i also put the balljoints on dry ice and heated the knuckles with propane.. still a damn tight fit...

• Like 1

Dodge,Depends on the rust.... My ball joint press now has a bit of an S shape along with the C shape. I had to cut the ball joints and take the knuckles to work and use our 150 ton press to take them out. My 20 ton home press hit the pressure relief without budging.Most times they are not that bad, but get a better press even if you have to rent it. I also had to make some of my own pushers, as the standard sizes in the kit are for skate boards or bicycles or something.....Good LuckMerry Christmas,Hag

• Like 1

I have an OTC model. Have lubrication on the screw and choose the right spacer with the kit. Wear safety glasses. They say to put the plug back in the uppers after greasing the joints because of clearance to the axle u joint. I put a short straight grease fitting instead and use a different side angle tip on my grease gun. sometimes I need to rotate the wheel to get the sweet spot.Good luck.

• Like 1

I have an OTC model. Have lubrication on the screw and choose the right spacer with the kit. Wear safety glasses. They say to put the plug back in the uppers after greasing the joints because of clearance to the axle u joint. I put a short straight grease fitting instead and use a different side angle tip on my grease gun. sometimes I need to rotate the wheel to get the sweet spot.Good luck.

Would you looking and seeing which model I was looking at there stuff but I can't find out which one will for sure fit my truck.

Definately. It's out in my barn. I'll be up late working on the oil burner. If I get a chance, I'll go out tonight and post the #s. If not then in the morning.

*BUMP* Reminder for oldschool. Can you please hook us up with the numbers when you get time? Thanks!

post-12260-138698195458_thumb.jpgOTC# 7249 3 in 1 service set. I updated last night but I see it never went thru. I was gone for a week. Just got back from the road last night. High winds and snow. About 7-8 hours to go 300 miles. I ran out to the barn last night and got the tool set. Sorry the pics are sideways.

post-12260-138698195465_thumb.jpg

post-12260-138698195472_thumb.jpg

post-12260-13869819548_thumb.jpg

post-12260-138698195487_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I got it off ebay from a pawn shop like brand new. These OTC sets can cost if you're on a budget. Look them up. I'll also look up an OTC set on the net for prices when I get a chance. I have some harbor freight impact sockets that I love. That's a great option. In any case keep the screw on the tool greased.

Just had all my ball joints done along with 2 tierods and the idler arm,my guy said the ball joints fell apart when they went to remove them. Doesn't suprise me as the clown who had this truck before me never fixed much. The ball joints pay just over 6 hours flat rate,I used to be a flat rate mechanic but man.....I hate doing it anymore,tough job on a old truck.:thumbup2:

• 3 weeks later...

Just had all my ball joints done along with 2 tierods and the idler arm,my guy said the ball joints fell apart when they went to remove them. Doesn't suprise me as the clown who had this truck before me never fixed much. The ball joints pay just over 6 hours flat rate,I used to be a flat rate mechanic but man.....I hate doing it anymore,tough job on a old truck.:thumbup2:

My truck took six hours to get apart, it took a 20 ton porta power to get the upper ball joint out because a ball joint press wouldn't work. I tried the 20 ton porta power on the lower one and it didn't even bother to budge so it took a fifty ton porta power to get the lower out. I ended up cutting the old ball joints with a die grinder because the wheel bearings wouldn't come out. I took the knuckles and put them in a press and at about 25 ton both of the wheel bearings came out. :banghead: 6 hours labor is a heck of a deal.

My truck took six hours to get apart, it took a 20 ton porta power to get the upper ball joint out because a ball joint press wouldn't work. I tried the 20 ton porta power on the lower one and it didn't even bother to budge so it took a fifty ton porta power to get the lower out. I ended up cutting the old ball joints with a die grinder because the wheel bearings wouldn't come out. I took the knuckles and put them in a press and at about 25 ton both of the wheel bearings came out. :banghead: 6 hours labor is a heck of a deal.

I knew it was gonna be a bear to do,the heck with that. I don't have anyplace to work on it and no air tools,it was worth it to have someone else fight with it.

Maybe a set of u joints in the axle while your in that deep? I had to do wheel bearings, ball joints and u joints all in one swing....and when you put the new ball joints in really make sure you clock it correctly so the grease fitting clears the u joint (i know its common sence but i learned the hard way trying to get it done fast) good luck!!

Maybe a set of u joints in the axle while your in that deep? I had to do wheel bearings, ball joints and u joints all in one swing....and when you put the new ball joints in really make sure you clock it correctly so the grease fitting clears the u joint (i know its common sence but i learned the hard way trying to get it done fast) good luck!!

2 wheel drive on mine,bought her that way on purpose for the mileage and less headaches.

put anti seize on the hubs for future ease of removal, i did it on mine and a slight tap and they fall out

Wheel bearings and ball joints all got a good coating of anti seize. Pretty much any bolt that I take out on my truck I have learned it never hurts to put some anti seize on it.