• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Got to Mobil, they say they are the best. Go to Rotella, they say they are the best. Go to Amsoil, they say they are the best. Go to .... Well, you get the picture. What is THE BEST oil for our trucks? Not just the engine, I'm talking the engine, trans, rears and anything else that has a little puddle of lubricant in it. I have been running Amsoil 15-40 since the new engine, but cringe when it's time to change. - What are the benefits of synthetic vs. dino? - What is the best dino? - What is the best synthetic?

• Owner

Well since I bought my truck new I've been running Exxon XD-3 15w-40 for nearly 100K miles and then switched to Rotella for a round and OMG! I now know why the nickname RoSmella... Then Start hunting for Chevron Delo 15w-40 Which my buddy has been using in his truck for over 600K miles and still going... Buty even with all petroluem based products in my truck I reach 25 MPG for a MAX and aveage 21-22 MPG..

I can say for a fact that synthetic starts much more smoothly when the temperature drops below freezing, especially 0*F and below. I run the amsoil also. I take it you cringe at the price but you save a lot buying it. 25,000 miles compared to 5,000 mile oil changes pays you back over the 25,000 miles. Filters and dino start to add up. Synthetic also does not coke as bad when the turbo is hot and you shut the truck off and is supposed to keep gaskets and seals from getting dry and cracking. That said, if your nice to your truck dino is fine too. The coking isn't much of an issue when you let the EGT cool to 300*F before shutdown. Gaskets should last a long time with dino or synthetic, up to 150k miles or more. I run synthetic because it ends up being cheaper and it makes a world of difference in winter. Amsoil is probably the best there. As for dino, rotella or delo 400 seem to be some of the most widely used dino oils.

hey guys taz uses valvoline blue know and it seems to just as good so what u guys think for 622k on a 92 dodge truck ? but i did not put all them mile on it my self i put a bunch on it though.

Edited by Taz

I run Valvoline Premium Blue unless the store is out then I will grab Delo, Rotella, etc...Rotella does smell awful, I hate to run it because I can smell it creeping up around the cab from the breather tube. My truck doesn't make any noises in the winter running the Vavoline, so I am assuming it has very good cold properties. My gasser on the other hand gets Valvoline Premium Synthetic 5W-30 because it does make some nasty noises when it gets really cold, unless it has the synthetic in the crankcase.

i find it hilarious that so many people say rotella smells....i had been using it every change until recently...it is always easy to come by(both in price and availability). i never noticed any oder. my wife even put 20k this summer and she did not notice an oder. after reading that wallyworld's 15-40 is Cummins approved(don't really know if it is) that's what i've been using lately. i have always ran dino in my cummins. my ford had Mobil's 15k and i loved that, but i cannot justify the cost of 3 gallons of synthetic. at least not in the oil pan(maybe in the diffs and only mopar approved in the trans)

• 3 weeks later...

i would be interested to see one with or without. like 2 fleet vehicles, one with and one without. have the engines pulled out and mic'ed out prior to testing. then run them in similar fashion for say 100k miles and then both torn down and mic'ed out and inspected again. but im sure that wont happen but that woudl be one of those tests that woudl be cool to see

I'd like to see a report from Blackstone Labs on his WallyWorld dino oil with that many miles on it. Bypass system or not,dino oil breaks down enough that it does need changed and is not meant for extended drain intervals. I am a firm believer in the use of synthetics if your going to run your oil in extended drain intervals.If your going to do normal interval maintence then a good dino oil will do everything you want.Anyone who runs a dino oil in extended intervals is just asking for trouble in my opinion. I run Schaeffer Oil's synthetic Supreme 7000 in my 12v and do not run extended intervals.I change mine at 6k anyway as I do not want to leave my oil in that long with the fueling my truck has.I send samples out every other oil change to ensure that nothing is in the oil that shows any type of excessive wear.......Andy

As of today, 73,000 miles without a "complete" oil and filter change out. Every 1500-2000 miles or so, I pull the TP out and add about 1 quart of make up oil to replace what the TP was holding. I change the full flow filter yearly and at the same time the TP but add more make up oil then. Takes all of about 10 minutes. While under the hood, I check other things as well. Even with my more frequent TP changes, I'm using over 75% less oil than I was before installing the TP bypass and changing oil and filter at 5,000 mile intervals. So, I'm still money way ahead. The TP filters only cost about .80 cents a piece also. I'm painting my computer room now, so all my stuff is out of the room, but when I put everything back, I'll try to post my Blackstone reports..........if I can find them!!!!!:wow: For now, you'll have to take my word that they come back stellar!!!:thanks::thanks: And just to make Chuck happy, I'll admit that I run Amsoil lubes in all the other areas of my truck!!!!:tongue: