• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Park brake

Well I had a major case of bad luck this morning. I had truck loaded and trailer hooked up to carry off a load of scrap metal and went out to start the truck while I checked tires and straps. I had brake brake set and a block in front of trailer tires. shut the door and started back to trailer and the d**n park brake let go with truck facing down hill and then the trailer rolled right over the block and truck took off down hill. I tried to catch it but ended up falling and getting run over by back truck tires and trailer tires. I had to lay there and watch my truck roll through a small thicket of brush through the barb wire fence twice and the hit a tree. I couldnt get up as my leg was hurting so much and all I could was I broke it. I finally started to feel my leg and could move a little. Finally able to get up and limp down hill to check on truck that was still running. Looked for leaks and gathered up what had fallen off trailer and moved truck and looked at the rest. I know have another big dent in bed of truck, alot of scratches from the barb wire, a chip in windshield, busted grill, and the new bumper I put on now needs the new plastics, and it messed up my fuel pressure guage somehow. I am ok and just have a slight limp anymore. Good thing it didnt mess up my knee that just fixed 4 months ago(hence why I fell as hamstring still isnt as strong as it should be).Has anyone else park brake just let go at random moment?

GOOD LORD!!! Im glad your ok. :wow: My brake doesnt hold well enough for me to trust it loaded like that but no, its never let loose.

Me to. And I sure started thinking the truck should've broken my legs cause I thought my gf was going to finish the job that the truck started when I told her lol. She calmed down when she heard that I was up and walking. And between me and her idk who is more upset about the truck damage me or her lol. After I get back from Nashville I will prolly end up going and getting the new shoes for park brake.

• Owner

Oh Man sorry to hear about the damage. :cry: Glad to hear your OK too geez your damn lucky. :pray:Typically with me I will not leave my truck idling with only the parking brake holding the truck while hitched up to a trailer. I will always put the transmission in 1st gear, set the parking brake and shut down the engine before leaving the cab.So something else to toss in your shopping list is look at the parking brake cables as well. I've had one cable completely rust up solid and only get one side to hold so the truck tends to creep because one side isn't enough.

Ya know, I have never had a parking brake that worked worth a crap. Is there some sort of aftermarket thing that uses the brake hydraulics instead? I know the ebrake is for reliability but ive never had them work even on my jeep. I took the drum off and the ebrake stuff fell on the floor in pieces. So I laughed and put the drum back on. But the hydraulic brakes seem much more reliable for short term (running) applications such as this. I mean if the brakes dont work then the truck woulda rolled down the hill either way. So is there such a thing or do I have to invent it?

Ya know, I have never had a parking brake that worked worth a crap. Is there some sort of aftermarket thing that uses the brake hydraulics instead? I know the ebrake is for reliability but ive never had them work even on my jeep. I took the drum off and the ebrake stuff fell on pieces on the floor. So I laughed and put the drum back on. But the hydraulic brakes seem much more reliable for short term (running) applications such as this. I mean if the brakes dont work then the truck woulda rolled down the hill either way. So is there such a thing or do I have to invent it?

Sounds like we need to get together and invent lol:thumbup2:. Some tractors have it where when you push brake pedal so far a lever will come down and look the pedal down then you just press the pedal and lift lever back up to release

Ya know, I have never had a parking brake that worked worth a crap. Is there some sort of aftermarket thing that uses the brake hydraulics instead? I know the ebrake is for reliability but ive never had them work even on my jeep. I took the drum off and the ebrake stuff fell on the floor in pieces. So I laughed and put the drum back on. But the hydraulic brakes seem much more reliable for short term (running) applications such as this. I mean if the brakes dont work then the truck woulda rolled down the hill either way. So is there such a thing or do I have to invent it?

I guess there is such a thing according to my Dad, or at least he made something that did just that on one of his old trucks that he had. Its what he suggested I do with the 96 that I had since its parking brake wasn't worth a crap, surprisingly the parking brake works great on the 97 I have now :thumb1:

Sounds like we need to get together and invent lol:thumbup2:. Some tractors have it where when you push brake pedal so far a lever will come down and look the pedal down then you just press the pedal and lift lever back up to release

I need to head that way anyways lol

I guess there is such a thing according to my Dad, or at least he made something that did just that on one of his old trucks that he had. Its what he suggested I do with the 96 that I had since its parking brake wasn't worth a crap, surprisingly the parking brake works great on the 97 I have now :thumb1:

Yeah our tractor has the same thing where you pull a knob while it starts clicking as you step on it, then you step on it and push the knob in to release. Might have to look into that.

The ones on my ford 450 work trucks lock the axle directly. Won't move at all no way. I gotta say they make the best work trucks.

Is that the one that has a disc brake on the driveshaft itself? I saw a super duty like that, pretty neat.

Driveline brakes are common on medium duty trucks that are juice brakes (as opposed to air) - might be retrofitable?A line lock would accomplish what you're after. Goes in line in a brake line and blocks fluid when energized. Push pedal, engage line lock, it holds the fluid pressure there for as long as you have battery power. "not for use as parking brake" but they sure work for short term situations. Very common in drag racing for burnouts, and in offloading for "parking brake" use when tech rules require one.

• Like 2

My Marine Lift had a hydraulic lock on the brakes, stand on the pedal, flip a lever attached to a cam which activated a plunger the cuts off the brakes & YES, it locked the machine up. I really would NEVER trust any parking brake. I had the coupler in the brake cables totally rust out. Since I'd automatic, I don't use them much. Some grease money stomped the ebrake, parting the connector (behind the cab, driver's side & returned it to me with the Brake light on. I gave them an earfull. They jiggles the cables until the light went out but it was physically disconnected from one side & worthless until I had it repaired elsewhere. The 01.5 & later have a mini-drum ebrake inside the rear hub... legal maybe but a bad joke as far as holding the truck.

That's it exactly. What my machine had was a Lever Lock. The operator had a bank of hydraulic controls to operate. The brake was a foot pedal to the left & the line lead up to the lever lock to the left of the hydraulic controls.

A slant 6 ran a hydraulic pump. The winches & motive drives were all hydraulic motors.

Posted Image

Man if I knew it was that simple I woulda done it already. My dad goes through tons of those at work, I'm sure of it, even electrically operated ones. You could get one that is normally closed so it needs power to release, much like how air brakes are set up. Would be neat if I could get my e brake to do the same thing as the brake pedal though. Maybe I can. :drool: