• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The 200 vs 190 thermostat expierment thread.

Well guys an update.The cause was injector failure. Injector number 6 was popping of way to late due to a sticking pintle, and no5 was not far behind. I pulled them apart carefully and cleaned them all out and reassembled, but the knock is worse now then before, or its because i moved the injector 6 to the no1 spot.Either way i'll be calling jacob eventually but since i pulled the cummins off insurance for the time being it most likely will be off the road for a few months.this should allow me to put away more money so i can eventually restore the beast.However what we should all take from this is that even with failing injectors i still managed to pull better mpg with just the t-stat alone, which should speak volumes for its self.I will resume this study come fall once the truck has been redone. phase one is the back frame which i hope should go over with little issue at all.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have started to buy sensors etc. directly from Cummins Canada. They are very reasonable (so far) and they have been able to ship the same day (usually by Greyhound bus) resulting in very short wait. To compare, Cummins is usually 1/3 to 1/4 the price of what autoparts store and dealers charge.

• 9 months later...

Hey guys,

Long time no post. But I though I would give an update.

Turns out that the problem was a bad cross over tube. So I've been up and running this whole time. I put on about 5,000 miles and all of my tanks were over 17.

I will resume once I install the new toys I bought, a set of intercooler boots and the high idle fooler kit as well.

Hey guys, I though I would bring this thread back to life. I replaced my 5 hole 60 hp injectors with some 7 hole 100's. With over 5,000 miles on the truck since I can say I have not lost mpg, but gained driveability.

Over the winter I still had a timing knock. Then I borrowed injector lines tried that. And then I did a compression test. The range was 400-450 cold, and the weak cylinder was no4. However, in the end I still was losing prime. I then bought all new crossover tubes and that fixed my problems. The truck Sat for two months and fired right up when I needed it.

Then over the winter my stalling issues have just about all disappeared. With discussion with Mike, we concluded that the 5 hole 60's were not atomization the fuel in the cold sufficiently. And as a result the 7 hole 100's do.

With multiple sub zero nights unplugged I was able to get in and drive with no issues.

I have issues still, I bought intercooler boots because under load I hear the whistle, but I can pressure test my system with the air compressor and get no noises. Dumb founded.

I also bought Ed' s high idle kit and plan to run the mpg fooler this winter. I tested it with a resistor last winter, but we will see this winter how is goes.

I will start tracking updates again, but I can say that I have yet to have a bad tank of fuel.

Are you running a 200 stat during the summer?

I ran a 200 stat all winter with the coldest temps in 30+ years and I would say it made a positive difference in a few areas but as soon as we began seeing temps in the 60's this spring I swapped it back for my 190. When pulling heavy I would see temps rise to 202-205. Being the fan locks up at 205, I think it's counter productive to run the hotter stat in warm weather.

• 2 months later...

I just threw one in last night.

I decided I needed a new thermostat because it was taking forever to get the engine warm.

With freezing temps here in Asheville, NC, Heat is essential.

I drove it to the store to grab a few things afterwards and the temp jumped to 160 ish by the time I got there.

This morning about the samething happened, granted it was much warmer.

I have driven those temps for a month or so now and it has not warmed up that fast.

The first thing that I noticed when I went to replace it was there are no holes in my 200 F thermostat like there were in the 180 F when I pulled it out.

I was right that there was water flowing through my radiator while it was warming up and that was why it was taking so long to warm up.

I just thought that it was staying open, but no, there are holes in the damn thing making it happen.

I have driven it four times since I replaced it and my truck warmed up in under 25min each time to about 194 F on the stock temp gage.

Definitely recommend it for winter if not year round so far!

Edited for grammer ;~P

Edited by eddielee

The day I bought my truck it was around 40 degrees outside and I drove it home 4 hours, temp never really broke about the 160 mark on the factory gauge. I made a winter front that covers just the radiator and my temps still only read around 165-170 with normal driving. A few trips down the interstate at 68-72mph and I can reach 180 ish but on my return trips the temp wont break 165. I bought a 190 thermostat from napa last week but havent had time to install it, after reading this I'll probably spring for the 200* instead. I usually fill up about half a tank (about 300 miles) and my mpg's have been steady a 15 to 17 (hand calculated). Its been in the teens and single didgets in the mornings, and I usually let the truck high idle before I leave in the mornings and before I leave work in the afternoon.   Maybe Friday I'll take a drive out to Cummins and pickup a 200* thermostat and see what kind of a difference that makes.

I have got to replace the tstat in the wife's truck.  I used it to haul a load of 8 55 gallon barrels (about 3,400 lbs.) full of sugar the other day.  Even with the Winter front louvers on the grill and in 5th gear with the pedal to the floor, I had a very difficult time getting the engine to reach full operating temperature and when I back off the power on level ground, the engine temperature would drop down below what I estimate to be 160 degrees on the temperature guage. 

On the other hand, I got an opportunity to go along as a driver and helper to pick up the sugar.  We rented a GMC long box truck equipped with the Duramax diesel and Allison automatic transmission.  We loaded 40 55 gallon barrels of sugar (17,000 lbs.)  The engine temp stayed pegged at about 190 even when we climbed up the mountains coming out of South Pittsburg, TN where I had the pedal to the floor for about half hour holding about 50 mph.  I wish our Cummins engines and thermostats had temperature consistency and control like that.  Even though the Duramax in the rental truck was derated and the transmission had torque limiting (or at least appeared to) for initial take off in 1st gear, I was very impressed with how it performed.  I still prefer my Cummins as the Duramax is a complicated and cramped mess to work on in my opinion. 

Driving a vehicle with that much weight, mass, and forward momentum and NO exhaust brake was a TOTALLY new experience but that is a topic for another post. :backtotopic: