• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

everything went wrong....

So, I finally had time to spray in the Al's DIY bedliner kit today...prepped the bed, had everything taped and masked off. It was nice and warm out, no wind, sunny, everything was good-until I started mixing the first batch up. I got it mixed up, and realized I had forgotten to put an airline fitting on the spray gun....So, I'm running around the garage, trying to find a fitting, before the batch had a chance to set. I didn't end up having to worry about that. In my rush to get the fitting on, and get the material in the gun and sprayed, I didn't realize I had failed to mix the B bottle into the batch...:mad:

Until I had started spraying it. It was coming out like crap, and sprayed out in a matter of seconds...gone. One entire kit, wasted.

I jumped out of the bed, stomped into the garage, trying to figure out what the hell just happened, when as I was pulling the stuff out to mix the second batch, I realized, oh, hey, I've got two bottles of the B mix left...FML. That's when I realized I'd forgotten to mix it into the first batch. So, I have no idea how it's going to work.

I had my mask on both times, so I mixed up the second batch, and made sure everything was good. Unfortunately, this time, the wind decided to start, and I'm outside spraying in about a 15-20 mph cross wind. The crap was blowing so bad, that I couldn't see a thing, it was burning my eyes, so as I shut them to try to blink some of the crap out, I tipped the spray gun and dumped a bunch of it out in the bed...$%#$#@$@##@$!!!!!!!

That batch mixed and sprayed ok, but I had planned on spraying the crumb into it (which I didn't), so I ran out before I got the entire bed done...Wasted one whole kit because I forgot the mix the B into it, and the second one looks like crap now, because of the wind and because I couldn't see a thing, due to the chemicals in my eyes.

SHould have just paid someone 600 to do it professionally, but so much for that. I've got one more kit coming, and I'll finish the truck off with that, and hopefully get the crumb added for texture....we'll see if it even holds, or if the liner's screwed.

Not really happy with how it turned out, but it's no fault of Al's...if it hadn't been for everything going wrong at once, it would have been one hell of a kit. One note though, I would definitely recommend using 2 kits for a long bed, due to the fact that even spraying correctly, one kit won't do over the rails and the entire tailgate.

I have probably 3/4 of everything sprayed right now, and it's setting...once in, there's no taking it out. What I'm hoping to be able to do do is when the last kit comes in, add the crumb to that kit, and then try and cover up as much of the mess ups as possible, as well as finish spraying everything in. I guess we'll see how it turns out when it's all said and done.

gotcha. yeah im sure you'll be able hide some of the imperfections with that last coat and crumb. i used hurculiner on a jeep i had years ago and it made me super nervous about doing it. the possibility of me screwing things up was a real threat to that project. i wussed out on my bedliner on my RAM and had it LineX'd. glad i did because there's 1/2 gallon of 2-stroke oil spilled back there right now:banghead:

I feel for ya! When things screw up they often start a run of crap... Sometimes I walk away. Just fix the hang up & wait to do the original job. Even just taking a break & starting over & rechecking everything. Anybody who's done anything has done it.

Hmmmm...might be worth a try...it takes 24 hours to cure, and 72 to fully harden, so hoping that failing to mix the b compound (which I don't know what that is to begin with) I'm hoping it cures at all.... good thing is it is already getting tacky and harder, so hopefully it will hold up OK.I would have loved to walk away, unfortunately, with the bare metal exposed, and with the 10-20 minute cure time, I didn't have the luxury...oh well. Live and learn...an expensive mistake though!

I had bare metal because there was a lot of rough spots on the paint and the bad part was that it was a crappy paint job, so it was peeling in spots, and had started to rust. In order to cut the rust before I coated over it I took it down the the bare metal in spots. If the paint job had been better, I could have just scuffed it, but that wasn't happening- Thanks Earl Scheibs.. I dont think they even prepped the old paint before they sprayed a new coat on....

Not sure if this will help you but I have built fishing rods using epoxy on the winding wraps. A few times did not get quite enough hardener and would not set solid. Mix a bit stronger batch and put another light coat on the next day and it has always come out good and dry. Not sticky at all. Hopefully this stuff works out that way for you also.