• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hey guys , having an issue with the oil pressure , when I start the truck Its at 40psi cold idle, when its somwhat warm its 70-80 at 2500rpm. When the truck is at full operating temp its at 20-25 psi at idle and 40-50 psi at 2500 rpm. i have checked sending unit, removed it and placed the manual guage on for these readings. I have also checked the oil press regulator on top of the oil filter mounting bracket, the spring seemed ok and the plunger moves freely in the guide. I am about to pull the oil cooler and replace the oil relief valve ( i think thats what is called) and the gaskets. I am also going to change the oil and filter. I was running lucas oil, but I think I may switch back to rotella. Any ideas that you guys would have would be helpfull.

I typically see 70 to 80 on cold start up even idling, probably a little higher when first driving. As I warm up the pressure drops to where you are about 25 idle and 50 under load. This is based on the dash gauge and not a good mechanical gauge. But the numbers don't look out of line.

Hey guys , having an issue with the oil pressure , when I start the truck Its at 40psi cold idle, when its somwhat warm its 70-80 at 2500rpm. When the truck is at full operating temp its at 20-25 psi at idle and 40-50 psi at 2500 rpm. i have checked sending unit, removed it and placed the manual guage on for these readings. I have also checked the oil press regulator on top of the oil filter mounting bracket, the spring seemed ok and the plunger moves freely in the guide. I am about to pull the oil cooler and replace the oil relief valve ( i think thats what is called) and the gaskets. I am also going to change the oil and filter. I was running lucas oil, but I think I may switch back to rotella. Any ideas that you guys would have would be helpfull.

Umm, wait a tick. :think:IIRC, high oil pressure is never a problem. LOW oil pressure is though... :shrug:

I typically see 70 to 80 on cold start up even idling, probably a little higher when first driving. As I warm up the pressure drops to where you are about 25 idle and 50 under load. This is based on the dash gauge and not a good mechanical gauge. But the numbers don't look out of line.

I was told they should be 10 at idle and 25 at 2500, when its warm. I took the truck for a drive with mechanical gauge on it and I got 40 -50 psi . Truck was not loaded , just it's own weight

• Owner

Sounds good to me... Min. requirements10 PSI at idle30 PSI at 2K RPMHigh oil pressure is good. Like on my old 73 Charger before I sold it it was 60 PSI idle hot and 80 PSI at 3K RPM. Nice and tight! As for my truck I don't have a good test but the one time I checked it cold it was at least 60-65 PSI cold idling.

remember psi is just how much pressure not flow. A well maintained engine gets enough oil at standard operating rpms at just 10 psi. We use lower viscosity oil in our trucks. Cold syrup comes out alot slower an needs much more force to come out of the bottle than warm syrup. Your fine if no ticks and knocks for more than just a few seconds after start.