• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Diesel fuel ...or not

:ahhh::ahhh:Sooo...I'm putting fuel in the truck at the only diesel pump at the station, in rolls what looks like a brand new Dodge diesel. He pulls around to the other side which is gas only and,starts pumping gas...in his diesel ! So I poke my head around the pump and say " Hey ,that's a nice looking diesel-love the Cummins, but do you know your putting gas in it?" He never stops pumping and just snaps " doesn't matter , a little won't hurt it" YIKES!! I bet he put 6-7 gallons in that thing, fired it up and drove off.. I wish I would have followed him now, just to laff,and offer a tow..

No idea about the HFRR-but even if the tank was pretty full that's going to be at least a 20-30% mix, I would think there would be damaging detonation. I'm not familiar at all with how the newer electronic controls work(but I'm on a learning curve:wink:) but, unless these controls can sense something is up and alter or shut down the fuel delivery somehow it cant be good....Felt bad for him till he got all snappy with me..

Lets say that gasoline has a high HFRR score high enough that a two cycle engine would be destroyed in a short order without oil added.

I want a number. I have done some interesting things with our weed eater :lmao:

I want a number. I have done some interesting things with our weed eater :lmao:

I found out the hard way 30 years ago... That CamII racing fuel, 110 octane(leftover from the racing season) doesn't belong in lawn and garden equip! My ol Briggs had a blue flame a foot long out the pipe, and the exhaust valve pretty much vaporized... :whistle:

- - - Updated - - -

And yet more proof people have more money than brains! :smart:

Beware of 'recent' takeout engine listed on ebay... Although, my dumbass son in law pumped a bunch of gasoline (ethanol) in his '06. After he realized it, he siphoned all he could and refilled with the right stuff. He saw the green handle on the pump and had a brain fart.

Yeah, but the power wheelies and the extra 3 or 4 mph of blistering grass cutting speed almost makes it worth it, until its time for a rebuild! I remember when the Marathon stations here had the good ol Super Blue. The pumps werent part of the regular fuel islands but out back behind the station.

- - - Updated - - -

I found out the hard way 30 years ago... That CamII racing fuel, 110 octane(leftover from the racing season) doesn't belong in lawn and garden equip! My ol Briggs had a blue flame a foot long out the pipe, and the exhaust valve pretty much vaporized... :whistle:

- - - Updated - - -

Beware of 'recent' takeout engine listed on ebay... Although, my dumbass son in law pumped a bunch of gasoline (ethanol) in his '06. After he realized it, he siphoned all he could and refilled with the right stuff. He saw the green handle on the pump and had a brain fart.

Yeah I hate all the different colored pumps and handles, makes me paranoid that my wife will grab the wrong one someday. Not that she doesnt pay attention (shes alot smarter than I is!) but it does happen. I make darn sure I see the words "diesel" on the pump if Im at a station Im not familiar with.

Sometimes I even sniff the nozzle just to make sure! :smart::cookoo:

I ran across some green handled gas pumps in Tenn a while back. Just lucky i was filling one of my space heaters instead of the truck that day. The diesel handle was black.

Was it a BP station by chance? All the BP's here are like that. I had to double and triple check to make sure I was using the right nozzle when I last stopped at a BP, gas nozzle was green and diesel nozzle was black :confused: Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Was it a BP station by chance? All the BP's here are like that. I had to double and triple check to make sure I was using the right nozzle when I last stopped at a BP, gas nozzle was green and diesel nozzle was black :confused: Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I dont remember it being a BP,but it could have been. I was pissed at myself because I noticed the first time I bought fuel there and thought it was accident looking for a place to happen.

I ran across some green handled gas pumps in Tenn a while back. Just lucky i was filling one of my space heaters instead of the truck that day. The diesel handle was black.

Just in the couple months I've had this truck, ran into the same -green handles at some stations ,we have one that uses a yellow handle also..There should be a set Standard ! It would be pretty easy to do actually , they're all on the same pumps which sometimes aren't mark that well..Usually there's some diesel on the ground to confirm hahaha

• Staff

You guys do know there are labels on each pump :lmao: I never look at the color. Missouri uses whatever color they want on everything so it pretty worthless.

Most diesel guys are color blind anyhow, from the fumes, that greenhorn though.... putting gas in.... well that's hard to explain.